Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 30, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #13,862 of 40,611
Has anyone paired the Lionheart with the LX yet ? If yes....how would you describe this pairing ?

I’ll let u know once my legend x arrive. Probably July though :frowning2:

May 30, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #13,864 of 40,611
I tried the Bravado with the Ifi Nano BL first and it was just ok. Sort of an airy but unrefined and grainy presentation. Vocals were a bit too thin too. The Headamp Pico dac/amp gave it great body but had a pretty tiny and congested soundstage in width and depth. The Mojo is what really brought out the capability of the Bravado imo.

I can confirm this. I have the iFi Nano BL too and I tested it with my Bravado. Doesn’t add much to the music and if anything, it detracts from it. The Bravado are already very efficient and can be driven off a phone (I have an iPhone X) and sound great.

They’re not like my ER4XR and Campfire Comets where their SQ (clarity, detail and decay) increase with more power (especially the Comets). This is with iEMatch too.

May 30, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #13,865 of 40,611
Anyone that moved from full size headphones to in ear for desktop use? I am considering selling everything and moving to flagship in ears, I am tired of heavy headphones that can bake my head on the summer

I still prefer the feel and sound of a great set of full-size headphones. I have the Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800, and HD6XX sitting on my desk, and I have no desire to trade them in for an IEM.

May 30, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #13,866 of 40,611
I still prefer the feel and sound of a great set of full-size headphones. I have the Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800, and HD6XX sitting on my desk, and I have no desire to trade them in for an IEM.

Hey Pinky, I might join the 6XX drop. I’ve only owned IEMs before. Any thoughts on changes to SQ, isolation and portability? I’ve demo’d the Legend X and N5005 and I own some more mid-lower IEMs as well so I have these as a reference :)

May 30, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #13,867 of 40,611
For me, the Janus B cup is the best choice for the Legend X. The DD cup Janus is best with Phantom. What many folks forget is that until you have at least 200 hours on each, the bass and soundstage will change. Both will get 'better' (for lack of going into the details that are elsewhere on many of my posts on the EE thread). I also know that the EE IEM's you heard at the NYC show were not even close to broken in. Mine sound so much better. I was worried when I ordered the Phantom blind, because of what I heard at the NYC show. They were still the best for ME, but my buddy didn't even pull the trigger.

Shows are hard to hear as there is so much ambient noise. It's teh only way if you aren't on a tour. I fully get that. I promise you that if you heard a pair of X's that weren't fully broken in with Janus D that you would make the statement that you did. The fully broken in Janus B with the X's I bet are an outstanding choice. Horus seemed to be a great cable also from what some of the reviewers have said. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

May 30, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #13,868 of 40,611
Anyone that moved from full size headphones to in ear for desktop use? I am considering selling everything and moving to flagship in ears, I am tired of heavy headphones that can bake my head on the summer

I have had top headphones since I was 10 years old (48 years ago, lol). I sold my Stax and now own many travel ones as well as ZMF Ori's in bocote (rare and the best sounding of all the woods I've auditioned). From their site:
  • Bocote: Small/Medium Pores, High Density. Bocote has a very nice oomph that is super natural because of the added wood pore size over blackwood. Very resolving and musical.
I'm selling these too as I just don't listen to cans in my 2 channel room. No need so the high end silver shield cable and cans will be sold. I love my Phantom's for sound and portability, but they are not in the same class as teh ZMF's. Just aren't.

+1. Physics are laws for a reason.

May 30, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #13,869 of 40,611
Hey Pinky, I might join the 6XX drop. I’ve only owned IEMs before. Any thoughts on changes to SQ, isolation and portability? I’ve demo’d the Legend X and N5005 and I own some more mid-lower IEMs as well so I have these as a reference :)

The signature is not far off from LX. Big bass, lush mids, a touch of treble sparkle. Quite natural-sounding.

They are super comfortable, and light. You can easily bend the metal sliders (when they are fully exposed) to loosen the clamp force, if it's too much for you, out of the box.

They are open-back, so there is practically no isolation. The HD6XX is not meant for environments where isolation is required.

At 300Ω, make sure you have a beefy amp, whether you are going mobile, or at the desktop.

May 30, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #13,870 of 40,611

I have the Bravado and great full sized headphone in the same vain is the Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Open.

May 30, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #13,871 of 40,611
For me, the Janus B cup is the best choice for the Legend X. The DD cup Janus is best with Phantom. What many folks forget is that until you have at least 200 hours on each, the bass and soundstage will change. Both will get 'better' (for lack of going into the details that are elsewhere on many of my posts on the EE thread). I also know that the EE IEM's you heard at the NYC show were not even close to broken in. Mine sound so much better. I was worried when I ordered the Phantom blind, because of what I heard at the NYC show. They were still the best for ME, but my buddy didn't even pull the trigger.

Shows are hard to hear as there is so much ambient noise. It's teh only way if you aren't on a tour. I fully get that. I promise you that if you heard a pair of X's that weren't fully broken in with Janus D that you would make the statement that you did. The fully broken in Janus B with the X's I bet are an outstanding choice. Horus seemed to be a great cable also from what some of the reviewers have said. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

None taken. Legend x I’ve heard is fully broken in, which was why I ordered because the bass is tamed in. When I said I didn’t prefer Janus d with legend it’s because of purely personal preference, the thick and lucious bass was a little too much for me hence I went the Leonidas/Horus route. And because I listen mainly on the go, the nature of the Janus is slightly too thick and unwieldy for me

May 30, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #13,872 of 40,611
hello everyone, i had an eros cable laying around, and really changing cables made a difference compared to stock cable

the eros cable i have gives better detail than stock cable, especially in the details of the mids, if my memory saves me that eros cable was not that expensive

experiencing this improvement in sound with changing cables, what is a great cable to replace the stock cable within a 500 usd range

May 30, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #13,873 of 40,611
I have had top headphones since I was 10 years old (48 years ago, lol). I sold my Stax and now own many travel ones as well as ZMF Ori's in bocote (rare and the best sounding of all the woods I've auditioned). From their site:
  • Bocote: Small/Medium Pores, High Density. Bocote has a very nice oomph that is super natural because of the added wood pore size over blackwood. Very resolving and musical.
I'm selling these too as I just don't listen to cans in my 2 channel room. No need so the high end silver shield cable and cans will be sold. I love my Phantom's for sound and portability, but they are not in the same class as teh ZMF's. Just aren't.

Interesting, haven't heard much about the ZMF's. How would you say they compare to other top brands like Focal, Stax, Audeze, etc in price to performance ratio?

May 30, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #13,874 of 40,611
hello everyone, i had an eros cable laying around, and really changing cables made a difference compared to stock cable

the eros cable i have gives better detail than stock cable, especially in the details of the mids, if my memory saves me that eros cable was not that expensive

experiencing this improvement in sound with changing cables, what is a great cable to replace the stock cable within a 500 usd range

If extra detail and clarity is what you're after, I suggest trying the Thor Silver II.

May 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #13,875 of 40,611

If you want a TOTL iem that gives the sound you get from full size headphones but without the weight, I would also consider the Audeze i4. It is an open headphone, so it does not isolate at all, but it is the closest to full size headphone sound you can get with an iem form factor. The EE phantom is a nice complement if you need isolation (I haven't heard LX).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back