Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #13,876 of 40,611
Interesting, haven't heard much about the ZMF's. How would you say they compare to other top brands like Focal, Stax, Audeze, etc in price to performance ratio?

If you want a TOTL iem that gives the sound you get from full size headphones but without the weight, I would also consider the Audeze i4. It is an open headphone, so it does not isolate at all, but it is the closest to full size headphone sound you can get with an iem form factor. The EE phantom is a nice complement if you need isolation (I haven't heard LX).

Many of us have purchased these can's after auditioning all the other much more expensive can's. It wasn't about money either. My buddy had every top can in his house and chose the Ori's also. Now the new Auteurs that Zach made from scratch (my Ori's are upgraded Fostex like Dan started out with when he started Mr Speaker but are much more tonally correct to most of our ears). They have a solid bass swack and plenty of extension on top without being bright. If a recording is recorded brightly, then you will get that in spades. I run them balanced, direct from the Ayre QX5 DAC/amp. Matt's auditions were from his Hugo 2 if I recall. Teh sound was better to all of us (there were a few who listened) than the LCD 3. You never know which edition, because they change so often without telling anyone and they all sound different. That's the biggest reason I didn't go with Audeze the first time. Matt did get the Kennerton Odin's (the newer Odin's are lighter and better sounding) as his reference, but still kept the Ori's while selling off his Mr Speaker Aeon Flows if I recall correctly. He liked them for size, weight, but they aren't Ori's tonally.

May 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #13,877 of 40,611
Anyone that moved from full size headphones to in ear for desktop use? I am considering selling everything and moving to flagship in ears, I am tired of heavy headphones that can bake my head on the summer

I moved from lcdx, hd800, th900 to iems for desktop use

May 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #13,879 of 40,611
If you want a TOTL iem that gives the sound you get from full size headphones but without the weight, I would also consider the Audeze i4. It is an open headphone, so it does not isolate at all, but it is the closest to full size headphone sound you can get with an iem form factor. The EE phantom is a nice complement if you need isolation (I haven't heard LX).
For personal goodness I'd go Shure kse1200. I wouldn't favor anything else and have owned various Stax over the years. Different attributes but the Shures are actually more natural/neutral than any of them. Never understood why those terms often mean very different things on this board.

For portable, as a line, I think EE is the current way to go with so many sigs done so well across price points. Some of the Perfect Seals are good value as well.

May 30, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #13,880 of 40,611
Has anyone paired the Lionheart with the LX yet ? If yes....how would you describe this pairing ?

More of a general rather than a specific comment I posted about cable pair up with LX here, including Lionheart. Please scroll to cable section of the review. If you are waiting to receive LX, I would take your time (both for a brain and dd/wire burn in) to get used to the sound and the pair up prior to jumping into cable upgrade :wink:

May 30, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #13,881 of 40,611
More of a general rather than a specific comment I posted about cable pair up with LX here, including Lionheart. Please scroll to cable section of the review. If you are waiting to receive LX, I would take your time (both for a brain and dd/wire burn in) to get used to the sound and the pair up prior to jumping into cable upgrade :wink:

Thanks a lot. No, i own it already. From the beginning, when i received my LX i paired it with Leo.... and i loved it. I paired the Phantom with Lionheart. Yesterday i tried the pairing Phantom/Leo... and i love how the Phantoms sound with that cable connected to Hugo2. But the LX paired with Lionheart is not the best choice imo. Leo seems to control the bass better and everything sounds a tad more natural. I was just interested in the opinion of other LX/Lionheart owners :)

May 30, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #13,882 of 40,611
Thanks a lot. No, i own it already. From the beginning, when i received my LX i paired it with Leo.... and i loved it. I paired the Phantom with Lionheart. Yesterday i tried the pairing Phantom/Leo... and i love how the Phantoms sound with that cable connected to Hugo2. But the LX paired with Lionheart is not the best choice imo. Leo seems to control the bass better and everything sounds a tad more natural. I was just interested in the opinion of other LX/Lionheart owners :)

It was too much of a bass slam for me. Just a personal preference, but I'm still enjoying pair up with Ares II the best. And btw, just got 8wire Ares II, and still went back to a stock 4wire.

May 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #13,883 of 40,611
I'm definitely more of a bass-head than you guys. :)

I partied out to the plusSound Tri-Copper with LX, because of the more aggressive warmth and bass. And now I'm madly in love with the 8-Wire Thor Silver II, because it has that fuller sound, but also incredible clarity and transparency.

But I definitely like my LX low-end to be at its fullest. :D

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #13,884 of 40,611
Has anyone found a good carrying case for their EEs? (Amazon preferably).

I like the pouch that was included but a smaller hard case would be nice. The housing is also a little big.

May 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #13,885 of 40,611
May 30, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #13,886 of 40,611
May 30, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #13,888 of 40,611
May 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #13,889 of 40,611

Users who are viewing this thread

Back