Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 5, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #13,276 of 40,587
hey @Wyville , you shouls also try IDSD Micro Black Label

having tried both ISDS BL and H2 , i must say that i may have found BL to be even more enjoyable

for sure is the best bang-for-buck, as it costs 1/4 of the H2 price

check it out
Thanks, very interesting to hear! Both the Nano and Micro BL are on my radar and I had a brief chat with Ifi a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting options and should work well with more sensitive IEMs. And indeed, their pricing is very attractive.

May 5, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #13,277 of 40,587
Thanks, very interesting to hear! Both the Nano and Micro BL are on my radar and I had a brief chat with Ifi a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting options and should work well with more sensitive IEMs. And indeed, their pricing is very attractive.

BL Micro is a marvel for the price , i did not buy it because i am spoiled by the 20-hour battery of my WM1A (plus it's easier to use on the go and outside)

but soundwise BL was better than my WM1A

May 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #13,278 of 40,587
BL Micro is a marvel for the price , i did not buy it because i am spoiled by the 20-hour battery of my WM1A (plus it's easier to use on the go and outside)

but soundwise BL was better than my WM1A
Yeah, I keep coming back to considering Sony for the battery life. I so miss that! Will see if I can find a demo of the BL Mirco.

May 5, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #13,279 of 40,587
NbQDQBO.jpg

W8KLQ2d.jpg

Just a couple more photos of my Phantoms, with the Han Sound Redcore this time.

This cable makes the Phantom a little clearer than it already is and gives the midrange just the slight bump I’m looking for, enough to make those vocals grab my heart by the palm and squeeze all the emotions out of it! Not that the Ares 2 was bad by any stretch though.

May 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #13,280 of 40,587

Fantastic!

First off, I want to thank Jack and Dean for helping me at Canjam NYC to choose my first pair of customs.

Out of the box, these Phantoms sound amazing. Like so many on this thread had said, instrument timbre is unreal or very real depending on how you look at it. From my small collection of audio gear, the Phantoms’ sound is quite different. They are intimate as if the performer is a few feet in front of you. The treble is very pleasant and not fatiguing, so I can listen to these much longer than many of my other gear. String instruments and vocals on these are amazing. The low end is very textured and gets super deep.

I’m listening to them on my Hugo2 and can finally hear noticeable differences between the filters. I usually allow some burn in time for new headphones, but honestly these are great out of the box. I can only imagine how much better it can get with time.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts after they have at least 100 hours on them :wink:

Neat pics folks. Love seeing everyone's choices. They really have some great designs.

May 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #13,281 of 40,587
Yes, it was like 15% off X and 10% off EP.
I'm considering a couple customizations and a rush order. That's still a substantial boon, even if only 10%. As far as I'm aware, there doesn't seem to be a code a returning customer could use. Admittedly, I haven't asked either. Was thinking of buying a universal Legend X and demo it for a week before sending it back, but there isn't one available it seems (5 week build time). I think I'll just wait for Canjam London and not be part of the volunteering staff/entrance reception this year so I can have more serious time auditioning the whole lineup to make up my mind as to which I need and then place my ciem order on the spot.

May 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #13,282 of 40,587
I'm considering a couple customizations and a rush order. That's still a substantial boon, even if only 10%. As far as I'm aware, there doesn't seem to be a code a returning customer could use. Admittedly, I haven't asked either. Was thinking of buying a universal Legend X and demo it for a week before sending it back, but there isn't one available it seems (5 week build time). I think I'll just wait for Canjam London and not be part of the volunteering staff/entrance reception this year so I can have more serious time auditioning the whole lineup to make up my mind as to which I need and then place my ciem order on the spot.
Really looking forward to Canjam London this year. Eric (@EffectAudio) has mentioned Legend X with Janus D a few times to me now and it has made me very curious, so I hope EE and EA will have their booth next to each other again and I can give that a try. And of course Leonidas with my Phantom. Will be a great Canjam for me, as I have lots to catch up on after missing out last year. :D

May 6, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #13,283 of 40,587
Really looking forward to Canjam London this year. Eric (@EffectAudio) has mentioned Legend X with Janus D a few times to me now and it has made me very curious, so I hope EE and EA will have their booth next to each other again and I can give that a try. And of course Leonidas with my Phantom. Will be a great Canjam for me, as I have lots to catch up on after missing out last year. :D

Just be like me and pre-order it blind haha!

May 6, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #13,284 of 40,587

If you can hang on until Canjam London, then I think Empire had a show discount of about 20% last year. Of course that's no guarantee they will have one this year but might be worth waiting and seeing.

May 6, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #13,285 of 40,587
Just be like me and pre-order it blind haha!
Well, I would have to order Legend X as well, and while I wish I could, Legend X and Janus D is a bit beyond my current budget. :p

Also, I have not even spent enough time with my Phantom yet, which I am really looking forward to. And I have quite a few cables to try with the Phantom, including a couple of really interesting cables coming in for review soon. (Will post some pictures when those come in.)

But yeah, so much temptation! :D

May 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #13,286 of 40,587
If you can hang on until Canjam London, then I think Empire had a show discount of about 20% last year. Of course that's no guarantee they will have one this year but might be worth waiting and seeing.
I’ll wise up and wait then :bow:

May 6, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #13,287 of 40,587
I'm using my Zeus for about 80% of my music listening. The Phantom takes up the other 20%. I just find the Zeus more magical.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a used A&K 240SS, check my sig below. I'm just not using it enough to justify keeping it.

May 6, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #13,288 of 40,587
Last few days I have started thinking of selling my beloved NT6 , as I am seeing how Zeus gets all the love lately (and the space in my ears)

especially now with the new Eos cable, i have seen Zeus elevated to even higher levels of clarity, transparency and soundstage expansion

i am gonna say it again , the greatest thing about Zeus is that it can sound ****ing great even with a 150$ cable

when i see people saying '' finally my 2-3K ciem sounds amazing after some eq'ing and a 1000$ cable'' it feels like hearing people saying ''my woman now looks amazing after having 5 plastic surgeries'' :nerd:

just wanted to share some love for Zeus , seeing that people are mostly posting about the new kids on the block

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #13,290 of 40,587
For those who own Legend X, I suggest that you get a really good Amp.
My Legend X sounds way way better with just Audeze Deckard (much better than with AK380+AK Amp).

The AMP4, or really any of the High Current modules for the DX200, does a nice job super-charging the LX. Probably not as good as a full desktop amp, but damn lovely! :D

LX & DX200 03.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back