Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,306 of 40,658
My Athena hiss with every source I've plugged them into. It's minimal with Mojo and the Lotoo PAW 5000 on low gain, but if I flick the gain switch it's too much.

A strange thing I've noticed is that they're very adept at picking up noise between Mojo and my smartphone when I'm streaming music. I don't notice this with my other IEMs.

They still sound terrific though.

I occasionally get some interference/noise between both my IEMs and my Cowon Plenue 1 DAP, usually when my phone is nearby. At first I thought it was my Legend Omegas but it happens with the Noble K10Us I just got in this week. Happens with both the Linum Estron BaX and BTG Starlight, so it doesn't seem to be the cable either. At this point it happens rarely enough that I chalk it up to my DAP or the fact that I'm a human antenna.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,307 of 40,658
What an awesome morning I've had: I stopped by the Empire Ears HQ/manufacturing facility today to audition the upper end of the EE lineup. I've been an extremely satisfied EarWerkz Legend R owner for over a year now and wanted to hear their newest creations.

(Incidentally, while I was there, I had Jack convert my Legend R to the Legend Omega. Man, I don't know why I didn't make this change a lot sooner.)

As for the new Empire Ears lineup, I started with the Athena-VIII, worked up to the Apollo-X and finished with the Zeus-XIV. It was a delight to listen to each model deeply and hear how each step up in driver count and price point improved the overall refinement of the sound and technicalities. The Zeus was so seductive that I ended up ordering a custom version on the spot. It was just that good.

I also brought a recent acquisition of mine, the new aluminum version of the Noble K10 universal to compare during my audition. In the near future when I get the Zeus in-hand, I will write up a detailed review of it and provide a lot of direct comparisons to the K10.

@Jack Vang, thanks again for all your hospitality and letting me take up a big chunk of your morning. It's always a pleasure to shoot the breeze with you about cars, and I'm continually impressed by the products you and Dean come up with. Exemplary customer service as always.

Btw, here are a couple quick pictures of the demo universal Zeus with my K10U for comparison:

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,308 of 40,658
  I occasionally get some interference/noise between both my IEMs and my Cowon Plenue 1 DAP, usually when my phone is nearby. At first I thought it was my Legend Omegas but it happens with the Noble K10Us I just got in this week. Happens with both the Linum Estron BaX and BTG Starlight, so it doesn't seem to be the cable either. At this point it happens rarely enough that I chalk it up to my DAP or the fact that I'm a human antenna.

I once got the shock of my life at a train station.  Back in the day when portable listening was an aiwa reversible (wow!) cassette walkman and the pair of headphones that came with it, I was there on the platform listening to something and all of a sudden I heard the usual taxi cab talk.  I was picking up the local taxi radio!

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,310 of 40,658
Has anyone directly compared the Zeus with 64 Audio U12? I would benefit from that comparision.

Ive compared custom zeus and uni 12. I dont think thats necessarily accurate though. Im looking for such a comparison as well

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,311 of 40,658
  What an awesome morning I've had: I stopped by the Empire Ears HQ/manufacturing facility today to audition the upper end of the EE lineup. I've been an extremely satisfied EarWerkz Legend R owner for over a year now and wanted to hear their newest creations.

(Incidentally, while I was there, I had Jack convert my Legend R to the Legend Omega. Man, I don't know why I didn't make this change a lot sooner.)

As for the new Empire Ears lineup, I started with the Athena-VIII, worked up to the Apollo-X and finished with the Zeus-XIV. It was a delight to listen to each model deeply and hear how each step up in driver count and price point improved the overall refinement of the sound and technicalities. The Zeus was so seductive that I ended up ordering a custom version on the spot. It was just that good.

I also brought a recent acquisition of mine, the new aluminum version of the Noble K10 universal to compare during my audition. In the near future when I get the Zeus in-hand, I will write up a detailed review of it and provide a lot of direct comparisons to the K10.

@Jack Vang, thanks again for all your hospitality and letting me take up a big chunk of your morning. It's always a pleasure to shoot the breeze with you about cars, and I'm continually impressed by the products you and Dean come up with. Exemplary customer service as always.

Btw, here are a couple quick pictures of the demo universal Zeus with my K10U for comparison:

Brian it's always a pleasure having you over. Thanks so much for reaching back out and dropping by to give our latest in-ears a listen. Really glad you enjoyed everything and found our flagship worthy of being added to your collection! 

I once got the shock of my life at a train station.  Back in the day when portable listening was an aiwa reversible (wow!) cassette walkman and the pair of headphones that came with it, I was there on the platform listening to something and all of a sudden I heard the usual taxi cab talk.  I was picking up the local taxi radio!

My ol' Logitech PC speakers would pick up this religious station and it sure as heck scared the bejeezus out of me the first time it happened!

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,313 of 40,658
Quite eager to hear some first impressions between K10u AL and Zeus.

It will probably be a few weeks (build time for the Zeus + more time to become accustomed to the sound) but I'll make sure to post here once I get a formal review/impressions post up. I'm very curious about this matchup myself based on comparing the universal Zeus demo I heard yesterday to the K10u. The comparison between my Legend Omega CIEM and the K10u has been interesting in and of itself.

@Mimouille, could you expand a bit more on the pairing with the AK240SS? I know you didn't like that pairing with the Zeus despite the lower hiss compared to the LPG.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,315 of 40,658
It will probably be a few weeks (build time for the Zeus + more time to become accustomed to the sound) but I'll make sure to post here once I get a formal review/impressions post up. I'm very curious about this matchup myself based on comparing the universal Zeus demo I heard yesterday to the K10u. The comparison between my Legend Omega CIEM and the K10u has been interesting in and of itself.

@Mimouille
, could you expand a bit more on the pairing with the AK240SS? I know you didn't like that pairing with the Zeus despite the lower hiss compared to the LPG.
When compared to the Lotoo Paw Gold pairing, it felt a bit lifeless, lacking depth. I feel like maybe the Zeus likes power. So the Mojo works well too.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,317 of 40,658
Mar 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,318 of 40,658
  They sound fantastic, and I love the look of the MOP Faceplate and black shells.

Still baffled how beautiful and mesmerizing nacre is. I'm so fascinated by it. Gonna try to make sense of this article: http://frontiersinzoology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12983-014-0062-0

Enjoy 'em Jazzi! 
beerchug.gif

I am really astonished how some people hear no hiss at all with any source.

Mim, did you take part in the X7 tour? I only had 1 day of proper usage with my tour unit (was sick the 9 others ^^). The stock IEM module had a low enough noise floor. Because I don't remember hearing hiss with it.

Aside from the Aune M2 blue ed, AK240ss, LPG, what other dap have you tried with the Zeus?
I'm happy to report that from my side, the Fiio X7, Onkyo DP-X1 and especially the Cowon Plenue D to get my "Zeus hiss-free-enjoy-your-music certified label" ^^

here's my post today about the Cowon Plenue D with Zeus http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/1665#post_12405597

Quote:

I haven't abandoned you Mimo! Just doing a lot of in house testing right now.

Originally Posted by Mimouille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well so many tempting things to do with my money, but I miss the Zeus and am waiting patiently 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,320 of 40,658
@Cagin, besides the lack of hiss, how well did the X7 pair with the Zeus? Did it sound decent? It's hard for me to imagine a Sabre DAC sounding good with the Zeus (or at all 
tongue.gif
) but I'm happy to be corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back