Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #13,126 of 40,561
I'm heartbroken, guys. I sold my Zeus xr adel about a week ago with a ares II+ cable to buy the legend x. Just got it today, and I don't like the signature. I'm bummed out, don't know what to do. I wanted more bass, but I also wanted the clarity from the Zeus'. I don't know the technical terms, but I think it's the strong mids. This situation sucks

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #13,127 of 40,561
I'm heartbroken, guys. I sold my Zeus xr adel about a week ago with a ares II+ cable to buy the legend x. Just got it today, and I don't like the signature. I'm bummed out, don't know what to do. I wanted more bass, but I also wanted the clarity from the Zeus'. I don't know the technical terms, but I think it's the strong mids. This situation sucks

Universal version? Try the symbio hybrid tips. Good combo of bass and clarity for me

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #13,128 of 40,561

the clarity is there, just presented differently i guess

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #13,129 of 40,561
Yeah, it's the universal version.im not sure tips will be able to make up for the difference I'm trying to pinpoint, but I'll try. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #13,130 of 40,561
Yeah, it's the universal version.im not sure tips will be able to make up for the difference I'm trying to pinpoint, but I'll try. Thanks for the reply.

Give yourself some time to get use to legend X's sound. As a Zeus owner myself, i can see why you are struggling with the legend X.

As we have always been accustomed to the forward sounding mids and vocals of the Zeus, suddenly jumping on the the wider soundstage and slightly recessed mids/vocals of the legend X might take some time getting used to. In addition to the stronger bass response of the legend, this will almost be like a cultural shock type of feel for you.

However, i will say dont give up, keep listening to the legend X, let your brain/ears get use to the sound signature, you will get to appreciate it very soon. Meanwhile, play with cables or tips to enhance the forwardness of the mids or tame down the bass.

This might make you get use to the Legend even quicker!

Good luck!

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #13,131 of 40,561
You mean the Zeus mids are even more forward than the LX mids?

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #13,132 of 40,561
You mean the Zeus mids are even more forward than the LX mids?

Vocals are definitely more forward on Zeus then the LX. LX's vocals to me are more recessed sounding as compared to Zeus.
(Based on universal demo of the LX)

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #13,133 of 40,561
Imo absolutely. The mids on the Zeus are incredible. It's like the singer and his/her instruments that use mid frequencies is playing right next to you with an unparalleled level of clarity.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #13,134 of 40,561
Imo absolutely. The mids on the Zeus are incredible. It's like the singer and his/her instruments that use mid frequencies is playing right next to you with an unparalleled level of clarity.

Lol. You will love the EVR! And yes Zeus i will say is the mids king out of the entire EE line up. No doubt.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #13,135 of 40,561
Vocals are definitely more forward on Zeus then the LX. LX's vocals to me are more recessed sounding as compared to Zeus.
(Based on universal demo of the LX)

Cool, just wondering :p Haven't heard the Zeus so I have no gauge for it.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #13,136 of 40,561
Cool, just wondering :p Haven't heard the Zeus so I have no gauge for it.

Hahaha if your a vocals lover, especially female vocalist, Zeus should always be your number 1 go to.

Though i will be getting the EVR too. EVR is tuned similarly to Zeus, very forward mids and vocals, plays well with every genre, yet it lacks the details and body of the Zeus.

Though i love it alot as due to its lack of body, it presented a much airier and spacious soundstage as compared to Zeus, and it seems to plays well with faster beats as compared to Zeus.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #13,137 of 40,561

The Phantom is exactly what you are looking for... You may want to PM EE and ask for a restock of LX and change to a Phantom.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #13,138 of 40,561
Does anyone have a comparison of Zeus xiv vs phantom. I mean the price points are significantly different. Does the phantom compete with the Zeus? Best it? In What terms?

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #13,139 of 40,561
To the Phantom owners here, has any of you felt that the soundstage was lacking? I imagine that the immersive sound signature is due to the sound stage being more intimate than wide, and so I can't have my cake and eat it too.

@fuhransahis put it extremely beautifully in his post, so all I'm gonna add to this is the Phantom's soundstage adapts to the track. It does inherently have a thicker, denser and more filled-in ambience due to its organic tuning, but the sheer expansiveness of the stage will ultimately depend on the mix. I've heard badly-produced pop tracks absolutely cram the stage with little-to-no headroom, but I've also heard classical tracks sound as close to a medium-sized concert hall as I've ever heard.

I'd recommend you contact EE first to ask if it's possible to swap it out for - as suggested here - a Phantom or an EVR, and whether or not the offer still stands in a week or two. You can then use that time to burn-in the Legend X and decide whether or not you truly want to let go of it. Otherwise, I'd encourage you to experiment with tips. Plus, the HF classifieds aren't a bad place to go either. :wink:

Does anyone have a comparison of Zeus xiv vs phantom. I mean the price points are significantly different. Does the phantom compete with the Zeus? Best it? In What terms?

The Zeus-XIV and the Phantom are cousins in a sense, but they have clear discrepancies between them as well. Please keep in mind that the following comparison will be of the non-ADEL Zeus-XIV and not the ADEL variant. The Phantom has a linear bass response further elevated than that on the Zeus-XIV. I remember the Zeus-XIV having a slight mid-bass emphasis, but even though the low-end was clear, airy, well-layered and fast, the Phantom's bass is infinitely more resolving, well-extended and visceral. It's certainly not a basshead-inclined presentation, but the Phantom's excellent sub-bass extension allows it to have a clear, isolated and physical presence without too much accentuation, rumble, etc. The Phantom's elevation in bass is also responsible for the warmth in its tone and the density of its notes, while the Zeus-XIV (the ADEL variant, especially) forgoes this for an airier and more open response. The midrange is probably where the two are most alike; forwardly-placed, well-resolved, and transparent. But, the Phantom does present vocals and instruments with a more organic tone, while the Zeus-XIV compromises on that a tad for a more apparent/forward presentation of clarity. The Phantom also has a more neutral lower-midrange, while the Zeus's extra chestiness here can cause vocals on some tracks to sound nasal-y, yet pleasingly bodied in others. The treble is where they differ most. The Zeus employs lower-and-upper-treble peaks to boost clarity and air throughout its stage. But, this gives the IEM's overall tone a sense of neutrality, and the 8kHz peak can sound a touch incoherent on some tracks (especially when paired with the lower-midrange bump). The Phantom here is determinedly linear until its eventual roll-off. This means the Phantom forgoes the Zeus's crystalline clarity for a more realistic tone, at the cost of transient attack (or a sense of speed). But, because of the Phantom's excellent treble extension, it competes with the Zeus-XIV spatially. Its soundstage can be just as three-dimensional as the Zeus's can (even though its highly track-dependent), it resolves and organises instruments as well as the Zeus can (although separation is more apparent on the Zeus because of its treble tuning) and the Phantom's bass response exists without congesting the stage too. I think this just about sums it up pretty well. :D

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #13,140 of 40,561
Thank you guys so much for your outpouring of suggestions and/or advice. You truly don't know how much it means to me. I'm definitely going to see if I speak to EE to see where I stand as far as the Phantom. I will keep you guys updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back