Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #12,616 of 40,606
I was also able to try out several EE IEM's on Saturday at CanJam. Quick preface to what I was looking for as it undoubtedly provided some subconscious influence. I currently have a set of Spartan CIEM's from early 2016 and use those as my reference point for listing to anything as I find them a very neutral unit providing what is in the source material with little to no coloration. I am looking for it's complimentary friend/cousin/sibling so basically fun, energetic signature that could be an everyday carry for times when I want something special (I currently use iBasso IT01 as my everyday unit and it will not be replaced as 75% it's the sound that works for me on the run).

I listened using the stock FA tips as I am going custom and did not want to flavor anything (I had spiral dots and Bee foams with me but choose not to use them). The songs I listened to were 44.1 khz Communication Breakdown, Imagine, Bleeding Love, Bolero Medley by Tito Puente , 96 khz Heart like a Wheel, Cinnamon Girl, Hard Days Night by Aikio Sasjima , Fly by Night, Sick as a Dog. Pretty wide range to cover everything. Everything was my music, Shanling M1 to Mojo.

I listened to ESR, Phantom, Legend, Vantage and Bravado all searching for the above. I knew consciously or not that ESR and Legend may not give me the signature I was looking for and since I had Spartan and am happy with that neutral approach I honestly did not give them much of a listen but Phantom lives up to it's name s a really neutral, deeply resolving unit and ESR to me was Spartan's fraternal twin so I eliminated those quickly from the search, could not afford Phantom anyhow so that I am sure weighed in on the decision for me.

I next listened to Legend, Bravado and Vantage in that order. Legend was a hit right off the bat, solid gobs of quality sub bass, not really bleeding into the mids nor recessing the highs. Sound stage was as wide as I have ever experienced, easy to pick up the instruments and placement. Organic and just right and did I say gobs of controlled sub bass. All in all the fun signature I was looking for. Price though made me hesitant as if that was not a concern I would have stopped right there.
Since price/budget is an issue with me, I'm cheap no being coy, I have the money just don't want to spend it unless there's no option. I thought let's try entry level Bravado, was I ever surprised seemed like it was the same controlled sub bass not quite the gobs I heard from Legend but definitely present and much in the same not washing out the mid or highs just a little of a feeling but still hearing if that make sense. I was just thrilled that the same control, same engagement similar stage and depth bit less to be honest was there and price was well within self imposed budget of $800.
Should I stop now I would be happy with that unit but something told me go up one level and see. Next up Vantage, very similar to Bravado ticked every box was close to budget had a much more visceral bass feel, not Legend level but could not start to feel the base again a bit more than Bravado but honestly if no one told me and it was a blind test it would be very hard to pick the two apart.

Now really happy but should i listen to Legend again, sure why not. Oh damn so nice, can feel the bass thru my body, clear concise controlled every note every instrument just right.Damn what to do, yep listen to Bravado again, same reaction, big silly smile nice so much fun, not felling the bass the same way but it's there and it compliments what I have, fun fun fun as Brian Wilson said, Sold myself and got a custom Bravado, I'm not flashy person when it comes to things so my choice is pedestrian compared to some of the ones I've seen on here over the years, translucent aqua shell translucent royal blue face plate standard gold EE logo. My Spartan is translucent smoke Black plates same logo.

I just found the Bravado to be so engaging fun and pleasant. i highly recommend, if you can, listen to the whole line and find the place that works for you as I am certain I have and can't wait for my second EE CIEM to be in my hands.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #12,617 of 40,606
I was also able to try out several EE IEM's on Saturday at CanJam. Quick preface to what I was looking for as it undoubtedly provided some subconscious influence. I currently have a set of Spartan CIEM's from early 2016 and use those as my reference point for listing to anything as I find them a very neutral unit providing what is in the source material with little to no coloration. I am looking for it's complimentary friend/cousin/sibling so basically fun, energetic signature that could be an everyday carry for times when I want something special (I currently use iBasso IT01 as my everyday unit and it will not be replaced as 75% it's the sound that works for me on the run).

I listened using the stock FA tips as I am going custom and did not want to flavor anything (I had spiral dots and Bee foams with me but choose not to use them). The songs I listened to were 44.1 khz Communication Breakdown, Imagine, Bleeding Love, Bolero Medley by Tito Puente , 96 khz Heart like a Wheel, Cinnamon Girl, Hard Days Night by Aikio Sasjima , Fly by Night, Sick as a Dog. Pretty wide range to cover everything. Everything was my music, Shanling M1 to Mojo.

I listened to ESR, Phantom, Legend, Vantage and Bravado all searching for the above. I knew consciously or not that ESR and Legend may not give me the signature I was looking for and since I had Spartan and am happy with that neutral approach I honestly did not give them much of a listen but Phantom lives up to it's name s a really neutral, deeply resolving unit and ESR to me was Spartan's fraternal twin so I eliminated those quickly from the search, could not afford Phantom anyhow so that I am sure weighed in on the decision for me.

I next listened to Legend, Bravado and Vantage in that order. Legend was a hit right off the bat, solid gobs of quality sub bass, not really bleeding into the mids nor recessing the highs. Sound stage was as wide as I have ever experienced, easy to pick up the instruments and placement. Organic and just right and did I say gobs of controlled sub bass. All in all the fun signature I was looking for. Price though made me hesitant as if that was not a concern I would have stopped right there.
Since price/budget is an issue with me, I'm cheap no being coy, I have the money just don't want to spend it unless there's no option. I thought let's try entry level Bravado, was I ever surprised seemed like it was the same controlled sub bass not quite the gobs I heard from Legend but definitely present and much in the same not washing out the mid or highs just a little of a feeling but still hearing if that make sense. I was just thrilled that the same control, same engagement similar stage and depth bit less to be honest was there and price was well within self imposed budget of $800.
Should I stop now I would be happy with that unit but something told me go up one level and see. Next up Vantage, very similar to Bravado ticked every box was close to budget had a much more visceral bass feel, not Legend level but could not start to feel the base again a bit more than Bravado but honestly if no one told me and it was a blind test it would be very hard to pick the two apart.

Now really happy but should i listen to Legend again, sure why not. Oh damn so nice, can feel the bass thru my body, clear concise controlled every note every instrument just right.Damn what to do, yep listen to Bravado again, same reaction, big silly smile nice so much fun, not felling the bass the same way but it's there and it compliments what I have, fun fun fun as Brian Wilson said, Sold myself and got a custom Bravado, I'm not flashy person when it comes to things so my choice is pedestrian compared to some of the ones I've seen on here over the years, translucent aqua shell translucent royal blue face plate standard gold EE logo. My Spartan is translucent smoke Black plates same logo.

I just found the Bravado to be so engaging fun and pleasant. i highly recommend, if you can, listen to the whole line and find the place that works for you as I am certain I have and can't wait for my second EE CIEM to be in my hands.

I got the same situation and have CIEMs Spartan 2018 (in the beginning of 2018) but did not have chance to be at CanJam yesterday to audition Phantom which is the one sounds right to my taste (but not my budget?) based on most of the Phantom’s owner reviews in this thread. I am considering the Vantage line too with the help of @Deezel177 suggestion. Which one should I decide???

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #12,618 of 40,606
For those looking for an excellent upgrade for Legend X. I found the plusSound Exo Tri-Copper to add a most welcome layer of warmth and richness. The treble is smoother and less bright, and the vocals have a deeper, more romantic quality. Also, there's more mid-bass, which plays nice with all that sub-bass.

Christian makes excellent cables and pS was one of my top candidates when we were looking for another cable company to partner with.

Had the chance to try the LX, really don't understand the hype. At certain times, the bass is just too overpowering. This causes the mids to feel somewhat recessed, which reminds me of the Vega. Hopefully I can try the phantom soon because the sound sig definitely sounds like something up my alley

I should be able to get a tour going out soon so that many others can participate in the thread. :)

To everyone else that came out this past weekend, thank you. You guys make it all worth it.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #12,619 of 40,606
Looking forward to the tour! I have some Bravado’s on order but I’m looking forward to being able to put my name in and try out some of the highest end EE iems.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #12,620 of 40,606
I am curious as to whether EE has had a Nemesis available for listening at the most recent CanJam...

Seems like multiple people are giving (near) full line-up impressions... but without the Nemesis! It's like the EE step-child! Or maybe there's just a limited market for near-TOTL monitors.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #12,621 of 40,606
I am curious as to whether EE has had a Nemesis available for listening at the most recent CanJam...

Seems like multiple people are giving (near) full line-up impressions... but without the Nemesis! It's like the EE step-child! Or maybe there's just a limited market for near-TOTL monitors.
They had the Nemesis but it was out of my budget so I did not listen, LX was as well but I had to listen to that just once because.I will agree it's a tough market being that close to TOTL.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #12,622 of 40,606
To everyone else that came out this past weekend, thank you. You guys make it all worth it.

Thanks. I had a great time, and really enjoyed meeting you. Phantoms now have forty hours on them, so now I'm figuring out what goes better with them and what goes better with the Zeus. Can't have too much of a good thing. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #12,623 of 40,606
I currently own the Tia Fourte and absolutely love APEX. When I demo'd the non-ADEL Zeus XR I experienced fatigue after a short while of listening. With the LX being touted as having some impressive bass, is anyone experiencing fatigue with them?

I couldn't listen to the CA Vega for more than 30 minutes without my ears feeling like they were about to fall off.

I would suggest you give the Zeus an extended listening session if possible. When I went from adel/apex IEMs to the XR I also had some minor initial pressure issues but found that after a few days of listening they disappeared. The ears just need time to adjust, now I have no pressure issues at all listening to XR all day.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #12,624 of 40,606
I would suggest you give the Zeus an extended listening session if possible. When I went from adel/apex IEMs to the XR I also had some minor initial pressure issues but found that after a few days of listening they disappeared. The ears just need time to adjust, now I have no pressure issues at all listening to XR all day.

I had the Zeus for about 2 weeks on demo so I had extensive listening time with it before I had purchased my Fourté. Lovely IEM but it’s sound signature wasn’t for me at the end of the day.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #12,625 of 40,606
My Phantom's now have over 1000 hours on them. Playing through teh AK380cu/matching cu amp. I hope that you guys can share quickly what source and amp you are using when auditioning. It makes such a huge difference. The Phantom's really scale when I use them on my top 2 channel DAC/amp. Not subtle at all. Most will never heard them on such gear, but I promise you that the bass is freaking crazy deep and plentiful. These have become a true reference adn I'm going to sell my ZMF Ori's now. I can't wait to get the Bravado's to the house and broken in. I want to see how great they will sound on the Ayre QX5 too. I know how they sound on the ak380, top Sony DAP and an iPhone/Hugo 2 set up. They truly took on the sound signature of each DAP/DAC.

Lot's of choices in the three lines, which is cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back