Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 11, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #106 of 40,614
  Jack, I might need to come visit you fine folks again soon! All of these new models have got my interest piqued. Since I nabbed my Legend R from you, I've literally sold every other IEM I had around the house. They are that good.

Should stop by sometime soon! Maybe i'll let you get a glimpse of what we're unleashing on the 15th!

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #107 of 40,614
Here's my unboxing video of the PRE PRODUCTION version of the Hermes VI. After listening to it I saved up for the entire 4 month process from start to finish to buy these myself after my demo period ended but oh my gosh guys. These are the most stunning and musical audio equipment I've ever listened to do date regardless of price point. So my FULL retail version was ordered and I should have a video for you later this week! But here's the unboxing video!! Also here's a small teaser towards the final product ;]

https://www.instagram.com/p/99lAFopaSb/?taken-by=empire_ears

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #108 of 40,614
Finally finished editing my review of the Hermes VI as well. It is my longest review going at 15 min (I edited to 14.5 but no idea where that edit went but oh well) but I wanted to cover everything I could think of. But here's my Review!

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #109 of 40,614
  Finally finished editing my review of the Hermes VI as well. It is my longest review going at 15 min (I edited to 14.5 but no idea where that edit went but oh well) but I wanted to cover everything I could think of. But here's my Review!

hmmm... your customs shouldnt break seal as easily as you describe them, and they certainly shouldnt move around just because you move your head a bit. I feel like you might wanna consider a getting a tighter fit with them?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #110 of 40,614

hmmm... your customs shouldnt break seal as easily as you describe them, and they certainly shouldnt move around just because you move your head a bit. I feel like you might wanna consider a getting a tighter fit with them?

That was my fear in all  honest but the process of that almost makes it not worth it. Otherwise it's perfect 

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #111 of 40,614
I have to agree with Cotnijoe here. In your own words "if you so much as move slightly, you have to readjust these" - that sounds far from optimal. 

I'm saying this from personal experience, my first customs (8.A) were very loose. But since I had no reference, I just assumed that that was the deal. But in the end, it takes away from the daily pleasure. I was always wondering if I was getting the right sound at the moment as it changed with the seal. Another big personal issue (that will not apply for most) is that it's not possible to use heavier upgrade cables as they constantly tug them out of your ears with such a fit. 

Of course it sucks to wait, but EE's outstanding turnover time of 2 weeks is almost negligible, and for you it's within the US. Heir took 6 weeks, plus 2 weeks transit time of the the ear impressions from Europe and another week shipping back.

Otherwise great impressions! (With one sidenote that it seems you mention the wooden faceplates affect the sound, which I'm not so sure I believe as there is no resonance from the drivers with the material of the faceplate. I don't see which physics would support that.)

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #113 of 40,614
I used comply strips the last months (before I recently sold the 8.A to fund the Apollo), but for me the process of pressing the foam and holding them steady in your ears until they sealed properly became equally bothersome - especially if you're used to switching out ciems regularly. Just my opinion but it felt like a suboptimal solution because it still reduced general daily enjoyability. If you pay so much for a prestige object I think it should be perfect, especially if the only consideration is a few weeks. Just my 2 cents..

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #115 of 40,614
I have to agree with Cotnijoe here. In your own words "if you so much as move slightly, you have to readjust these" - that sounds far from optimal. 

I'm saying this from personal experience, my first customs (8.A) were very loose. But since I had no reference, I just assumed that that was the deal. But in the end, it takes away from the daily pleasure. I was always wondering if I was getting the right sound at the moment as it changed with the seal. Another big personal issue (that will not apply for most) is that it's not possible to use heavier upgrade cables as they constantly tug them out of your ears with such a fit. 

Of course it sucks to wait, but EE's outstanding turnover time of 2 weeks is almost negligible, and for you it's within the US. Heir took 6 weeks, plus 2 weeks transit time of the the ear impressions from Europe and another week shipping back.

Otherwise great impressions! (With one sidenote that it seems you mention the wooden faceplates affect the sound, which I'm not so sure I believe as there is no resonance from the drivers with the material of the faceplate. I don't see which physics would support that.)

Youd be correct it doesn't and that was some of the part I edited out that somehow got reversed during upload for when I first got them I thought it would (like grado etc...) but BA drivers wouldn't resonate w/ the wood. Why I didn't bring it up again later.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #116 of 40,614
U should definitely get them fixed. As long as its not a discomfort issue, it should b a fairly easy fix and would be totally worth it!

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #117 of 40,614
U should definitely get them fixed. As long as its not a discomfort issue, it should b a fairly easy fix and would be totally worth it!

No everything else is great (and maybe the horn being MAYBE 2mm too long but that's negligible). But these are my first customs and I had the molds done by an audiologist here that didn't give me anything to put into my mouth (unlike all the pis I've seen) and told me to open & close my mouth periodically while it dries, so that is prob. the reason.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #118 of 40,614

No everything else is great (and maybe the horn being MAYBE 2mm too long but that's negligible). But these are my first customs and I had the molds done by an audiologist here that didn't give me anything to put into my mouth (unlike all the pis I've seen) and told me to open & close my mouth periodically while it dries, so that is prob. the reason.

The style of impression you get in terms of an open or closed mouth impression has been debated in terms of effectiveness. There are companies that say closed mouth is better, some say open is better, and some say it depends on what you need it for. I wouldn't count the way the impression was taken as the reason. That's not to say the impressions weren't optimally done for some other reason though.

The first ear impression I ever got, I actually did the same thing you did. They told me to simply move my jaws a bit as the mold takes form. My customs turned out fantastic and breaking the seal is impossible. Either way, I would still strongly consider fixing the issue.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #119 of 40,614

Just got this in the mail. Haha still says Earwerkz on it. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #120 of 40,614
Jack is already helping me out on that and addressing it (again above and beyond on the customer service) but wow that's a gorgeous case but come on now show us the goods, stop being stingy :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back