Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #9,571 of 40,577
to my ears the differences between the 2 settings in Zeus XR are easy to discern , at least with my WM1A dap

Zeus R sounds less ''in your face'' , as the stage is wider and the music is more neutral/balanced than XIV setting
Zeus XIV makes the vocals come closer to you and the stage gets smaller compared to the R setting

which one i go for, it always depends on the way music has been recorded - if music needs space/air i go for the R setting, if music needs a vocal boost/more alive sound i go for the XIV

both settings though sound very clear and transparency is always top notch - the 2 areas i think that differ is soundstage width and vocals/mids density/quantity

i don't think i could have bought only R or XIV , XR really spoils you

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #9,572 of 40,577
Honestly, you will not hear a major difference between R and XIV with all sources. With the Opus#2 the difference in the switch is quite distinguishable. With the proper source, the "R" is more neutral and the stage just a bit wider, less in your face.
The XIV pushes the mids and upper bass forward so it is more abrupt, in a good way.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #9,575 of 40,577
With the Astell SP1000 the difference is very noticeable. Even factoring in the volume drop when you switch to R, when you up the volume the sound is different. Two, two, two IEM's in one. :)

My SP1000SS is ready, all I need is wait until my Zeus XR arrives.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #9,576 of 40,577
So are we getting a new TOTL from EE or a co-flagship or mid-top tier IEM? Spoiler, please.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #9,578 of 40,577
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9,579 of 40,577
So are we getting a new TOTL from EE or a co-flagship or mid-top tier IEM? Spoiler, please.

Who said we are getting only one new IEM? :wink:

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #9,580 of 40,577
Who said we are getting only one new IEM? :wink:

its like apple here now all waiting for the new apple iphone release to see what is getting revealed

whatever they are, they must be masterpieces

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #9,583 of 40,577
i feel this thread will turbo ignite soon

i am all ready for the new releases

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #9,584 of 40,577
Of course it will. I"m sure it will have it's own thread or if multiple, a thread for each. That said, we already know the Zeus isn't going anywhere and will still be a ref for them, so many still may want the Zeus and I'm sure that those who are still getting one or have one, will be very very happy. Newer just means a bit different, but not always what folks want. I assume that's why were were told the Zeus will still be offered and a huge seller.

It's all good though and fun isn't it? lol.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #9,585 of 40,577
Of course it will. I"m sure it will have it's own thread or if multiple, a thread for each. That said, we already know the Zeus isn't going anywhere and will still be a ref for them, so many still may want the Zeus and I'm sure that those who are still getting one or have one, will be very very happy. Newer just means a bit different, but not always what folks want. I assume that's why were were told the Zeus will still be offered and a huge seller.

It's all good though and fun isn't it? lol.

Exactly. I'm tired of people clamouring for a new flagship as if it'll be the be-all-and-end-all of the auditory experience. Fact of the matter is, everyone will have different preferences, and new releases should be anticipated not for something better, but for something unique. Of course, the ideal situation would be an increase in quality as time goes on - and I'm sure EE's new releases will show an improvement in technical performance - but it shouldn't be a competition of resolution or soundstage or detail. Instead, I choose to see it as an eclectic selection of flavours that each offer something unique to the table; all of equal relevance, no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back