Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,601 of 40,559
Hi all,
For those of you living outside US and would like to purchase FA type E ear tips. You can send your inquiry to Final Audio America. The person named Michael Brown there just helped me to process my order and it will be shipped to Canada soon.

Thanks Olddude for the contact email.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #9,602 of 40,559
Sure, but PLEASE use the contact email below, not his direct email. He asked that we not use that one. Just reference him in your email. Oh, and I found my invoice (we've been on fire alert out here in California - the Ventura fire is very close to us but I finally had a chance to dig it out). The package of black tips in varying sizes and quick shipping was just under 10 bucks. I'm sure you will have to pay more for out-of-USA shipping, but the weight is negligible so the price shouldn't be all that bad. Great tips.

info@finalaudiousa.com

Product description link (Heaven E is what you want) http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #9,603 of 40,559
Sure, but PLEASE use the contact email below, not his direct email. He asked that we not use that one. Just reference him in your email. Oh, and I found my invoice (we've been on fire alert out here in California - the Ventura fire is very close to us but I finally had a chance to dig it out). The package of black tips in varying sizes and quick shipping was just under 10 bucks. I'm sure you will have to pay more for out-of-USA shipping, but the weight is negligible so the price shouldn't be all that bad. Great tips.

info@finalaudiousa.com

Product description link (Heaven E is what you want) http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html
Stay safe out there Olddude. I'll say a prayer for the safety of your family and home!

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #9,604 of 40,559
Thanks. We're ok, wind didn't shift, still moving away from us, I just unpacked the car, getting back to "normal." Haven't worked since Monday, our school district (all of them, in fact), closed for the week. So, time to lay on the couch and listen to music interspersed with going outside to see which way the smoke is blowing. I've lived in California all my life (and that is a REALLY long time) and never was worried about being burned out before (and I've been around a lot of fires). These new ones go so fast that they can be on you just like that.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #9,605 of 40,559
Thanks. We're ok, wind didn't shift, still moving away from us, I just unpacked the car, getting back to "normal." Haven't worked since Monday, our school district (all of them, in fact), closed for the week. So, time to lay on the couch and listen to music interspersed with going outside to see which way the smoke is blowing. I've lived in California all my life (and that is a REALLY long time) and never was worried about being burned out before (and I've been around a lot of fires). These new ones go so fast that they can be on you just like that.
I live more out in the plains just east of the Rocky Mts. We're also under a red flag warning. We catch the Wyoming winds and they're blowing around 30 mph steady today. Fortunately, not a lot of trees or shrubs on the farmland around us, but we can be subject to flash fires that burn low to the ground and travel at the same speed of the wind.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #9,606 of 40,559
Anyone else having bad quality control issues with Empire Ears? Is it a bad idea to fix an open circuit in the middle of a cable with solder?

My original purchase started couple years back in the Earwerkz days and has resulted in 4 deliveries of the wrong product, cracked shells or open circuit; an issue on every delivery after original price + 2 re-shells.

1st delivery: was the wrong product with uncomfortable shells, EE was cool and let me keep the error headphones while they made me the low-profile hardwired (non-removable cable) Heros/Supras I ordered.
2nd delivery: looked great, but days later I noticed cracks in one of the shells. I had waited so long for comfy IEMs and wasn't sure if it was my fault so I decided to patch with nail polish and not let it bother until it got worse. Eventually, the cracks turned into a hole and I paid for a reshell. While in the shop it was reported the bass drivers were dead, I was surprised as I had used them the day before shipping. I didn't say anything, just made a mental note.
3rd delivery: my comfy IEM babies were back, unfortunately, after being stupid gentle and storing them in a pelican case I noticed cracks within days of delivery. This time I dealt with the cracks without nail polish, I had several international flights coming and wanted my comfy IEMs. Eventually, the Right shell cracked into 2 pieces, I sent them in again. I tested them because I was suspicious they would try to charge me for a blown bass driver again. Sure enough, Ethan said the driver was blown, I told him I tested it and to please piece the two pieces of the shell together and test again before charging me for a new driver, turns out the driver was just fine.
4th delivery: no cracks, but now there is an open circuit where the 4cable braid splits to 2x 2cable wraps. New shell no sound:frowning2: I noticed the cable on the phones looked brand new and was even stiffer, must have gone through some cleaning or re-wrapping, I assume this is when one of the copper threads were cut. I reached out to Ethan days ago, I am still waiting for a response on what happens next and if I'll be on my own or forced to continue down the money trap that is these headphones.

Darn these things are comfortable with great clarity. I prefer them for tracking and I'd really like to get them fixed before my next studio gig and next wave of holiday flights. I guess if EE won't help with out charging $100s I can solder them myself:frowning2: Would that be a bad idea?

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #9,607 of 40,559
Anyone else having bad quality control issues with Empire Ears? Is it a bad idea to fix an open circuit in the middle of a cable with solder?

My original purchase started couple years back in the Earwerkz days and has resulted in 4 deliveries of the wrong product, cracked shells or open circuit; an issue on every delivery after original price + 2 re-shells.

1st delivery: was the wrong product with uncomfortable shells, EE was cool and let me keep the error headphones while they made me the low-profile hardwired (non-removable cable) Heros/Supras I ordered.
2nd delivery: looked great, but days later I noticed cracks in one of the shells. I had waited so long for comfy IEMs and wasn't sure if it was my fault so I decided to patch with nail polish and not let it bother until it got worse. Eventually, the cracks turned into a hole and I paid for a reshell. While in the shop it was reported the bass drivers were dead, I was surprised as I had used them the day before shipping. I didn't say anything, just made a mental note.
3rd delivery: my comfy IEM babies were back, unfortunately, after being stupid gentle and storing them in a pelican case I noticed cracks within days of delivery. This time I dealt with the cracks without nail polish, I had several international flights coming and wanted my comfy IEMs. Eventually, the Right shell cracked into 2 pieces, I sent them in again. I tested them because I was suspicious they would try to charge me for a blown bass driver again. Sure enough, Ethan said the driver was blown, I told him I tested it and to please piece the two pieces of the shell together and test again before charging me for a new driver, turns out the driver was just fine.
4th delivery: no cracks, but now there is an open circuit where the 4cable braid splits to 2x 2cable wraps. New shell no sound:frowning2: I noticed the cable on the phones looked brand new and was even stiffer, must have gone through some cleaning or re-wrapping, I assume this is when one of the copper threads were cut. I reached out to Ethan days ago, I am still waiting for a response on what happens next and if I'll be on my own or forced to continue down the money trap that is these headphones.

Darn these things are comfortable with great clarity. I prefer them for tracking and I'd really like to get them fixed before my next studio gig and next wave of holiday flights. I guess if EE won't help with out charging $100s I can solder them myself:frowning2: Would that be a bad idea?

I personally own two EE IEMs and I've never experienced anything like this. No one else on the thread has reported any forms of bad service or cracked shells either. Are you sure the IEM wasn't slamming against the hard top of the Pelican case or anything?

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,609 of 40,559
Positive, pelican case is covered in foam and the first shells were kept in the EarWerkz soft case. I am at a loss to why I have had such bad luck, it's like a curse.

I've never heard of shells cracking for no reason from any CIEM company other than the JHAudio carbon-fibre-shell fiasco from 2014. I'm sorry for the bad luck you've experienced, but I'm sure there's a more logical explanation to this than EE's supposedly subpar build quality.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #9,610 of 40,559

After buying 3 iems... Never have had a customer service problem or anything like that

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #9,611 of 40,559

Problem caused by the carrier?
Bizarre this problem of bad luck.
1st delivery: a shell problem can happen, it's laying out fingerprints.
But, after the problems of cracks, there must be an explanation.
There must be some things that causes these cracks, too much moisture can be.
4th delivery: may be because of carrier.

I ask myself a question, should I add a bag of anti-humidity in the box EE or not?

Thank you

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #9,612 of 40,559
After buying 3 iems... Never have had a customer service problem or anything like that

I suspect these are a cursed outlier. The phones they sent me by accident but let me keep (classy move) have no cracks after years of heavy use. Unfortunately, they aren't comfy enough for long studio or jam sessions. The Supra version of the Heros are insanely comfy, I could live with them on.

I'm damn good at soldering, are there any negatives to repairing the damaged cable to the shell with a solder joint? I would think using solder with a lil silver in it would do just fine, I am nervous about adding contact impedances at the joint though. Is that even a risk or am I just being silly.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,613 of 40,559
Problem caused by the carrier?
Bizarre this problem of bad luck.
1st delivery: a shell problem can happen, it's laying out fingerprints.
But, after the problems of cracks, there must be an explanation.
There must be some things that causes these cracks, too much moisture can be.
4th delivery: may be because of carrier.

I ask myself a question, should I add a bag of anti-humidity in the box EE or not?

Thank you

Different pressures & climates maybe from GA-CO-LA-Europe-Africa.... They had seen allot of climates and were originally delivered from GA to my mom's in CO (if I remember correctly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back