Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 18, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #9,123 of 40,587
wow, what a neat thread. Congrats to you all. CAn't wait to get my impressions this week. I have a blackout out car with stealthy rims (British Racing Green car with heavy metallic). I do love that look on the car, but for me, I'm going to get something different. It's really nice seeing you all sharing pics of your IEM's. Helpful for me going forward as I need to chose soon.

Some of these systems are just outstanding. Thanks for sharing again.

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,124 of 40,587
IEMs.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #9,125 of 40,587
Like mentioned before...wise choice...the Zeus XR is an amazing monitor :thumbsup:

Nice to see you over here @olddude, it has been a while that I came across one of your (often fun and informative) posts since the good ol' Pono (Toblerone) days :grin:
Wow, the SP1000 with the Zeus XR, I'm very curous about that synergy (after the burn-in) later on. Please keep us informed...

A few days ago I picked up an EE Spartan ADEL + MAM in the classifieds (the price was just too good to resist). It will probably arrive next week and I'm looking forward to see how it will hold up to my other current monitors :thinking:
I've got especially high expectations in the soundstage department.
The soundstage is very wide, and airy (quite literally, lol). :D With a proper seal, the sound is pretty great. Resolved, clean, and pretty clear. The bass response is good too. Compared to the Zeus, the Spartan has less treble extension. Definitely more suitable for treble-sensitive listeners.

I just got a stock black Zeus XR Uni and love the "color." Very low-profile. Since I walk with it, it's less apparent exactly what I have in my ears. It reminds me of those cars you see that are all black, black bumpers, black roof, black wheels, black interior. The housings certainly are nice and small compared to Shure 846 and JH Angie. Screams quality.

Right now it's busy being burned in on my Astell SP1000, which also needs burning in (again) as I've been using a 2.5 balanced cable with it and the Zeus has a 3.5 single end Whiplash cable. I'll give it about 50 hours and see how that sounds.
The opaque, and transparent black both look pretty, and nice. The updated smaller housing-size too. :thumbsup: Makes it even more low-profile, and comfortable to wear. How do you like the sound so far?

It's a coincidence (?) that EE named their transparent black shell colour, 'Translucent Storm'. Because that's also how I'd describe the Zeus sound. :) An awe-strucking clear sound.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #9,132 of 40,587
Gratz on your purchase man! The Zeus looks great!

Actually really small for how much is in them. Way smaller than Shure 846 and JH Angie. And no, no selfies. :)

I find this a bit misleading though. Shure 846 is way smaller than Zeus. In fact, it's hard to beat Shure and Westone when it comes to who makes most compact and ergonomic BA universals.

As for the cable, you might wanna give Whiplash TWau a try.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #9,133 of 40,587
Gratz on your purchase man! The Zeus looks great!

I find this a bit misleading though. Shure 846 is way smaller than Zeus. In fact, it's hard to beat Shure and Westone when it comes to who makes most compact and ergonomic BA universals.

As for the cable, you might wanna give Whiplash TWau a try.
Personally i preferred the redcore.
I also felt that the twau wasnt the most ergonomic cable....

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #9,134 of 40,587
I don't recall the 846 being smaller, but then for most of the time I used it it was with the Sensaphonic. In any case, while the Zeus is not as small as, say, my UERM, it is quite small enough for my uses.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #9,135 of 40,587
Nice looking Zeus, olddude! Welcome to the EE family. I have a CIEM Spartan, and am currently borrowing Subguy's Zeus XR.

Both phenomenal earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back