Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 7, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #9,001 of 40,614
Interesting. I have heard the Pioneer and Onkyo vs the Fiio 7 Mk2 and liked Fiio a bit better. Both good units though. I was always told that AK was way over priced for what it is, but I've never heard it. If I was able to get one used, is there a unit above the 70 that I should also possibly look at? I wonder if anyone else has auditioned iphone/mojo vs the AK 70 or other like DAP's? I will wait until the NYC show I"m sure, but it's good to whittle things down a bit now and possibly even get one or two in to audition before the show. Thanks SOOOOO much. I love this community for personal audio. You guys are all awesome and I"m having a ton of fun here. Been listening even more to my IEMs as well as my headphones. I have a feeling that once I get the CIEM"s from EE, that I'll end up selling my ZMF's for ease of use and portability.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #9,002 of 40,614
Interesting. I have heard the Pioneer and Onkyo vs the Fiio 7 Mk2 and liked Fiio a bit better. Both good units though. I was always told that AK was way over priced for what it is, but I've never heard it. If I was able to get one used, is there a unit above the 70 that I should also possibly look at? I wonder if anyone else has auditioned iphone/mojo vs the AK 70 or other like DAP's? I will wait until the NYC show I"m sure, but it's good to whittle things down a bit now and possibly even get one or two in to audition before the show. Thanks SOOOOO much. I love this community for personal audio. You guys are all awesome and I"m having a ton of fun here. Been listening even more to my IEMs as well as my headphones. I have a feeling that once I get the CIEM"s from EE, that I'll end up selling my ZMF's for ease of use and portability.

Good to hear! The only AK players that support TIDAL besides the AK70 (for now) are the 3XX series DAPs; the AK300, 320 and 380. Personally, I prefer the AK70 over the AK300 and AK320, but that's merely in terms of tonality; the AK70 is more fun, musical and engaging. I remember the 320 being more organised spatially. The AK380 is a clearer, cleaner and more technical-sounding player than the AK70, but it isn't as big of a difference as the price suggests IMO. But, if you can find a pristine one used, it'd be one heck of a deal. :D

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #9,003 of 40,614
Can't find a great price on a used one, but I need Tidal. I"ll just download whatever songs I want onto an SD card so I don't have to worry about not having off line Tidal as hey won't pay for the license. I need proper tone and fun is good for headphones. Thanks so much. the 700 fits perfectly into my budget also.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #9,004 of 40,614
Can't find a great price on a used one, but I need Tidal. I"ll just download whatever songs I want onto an SD card so I don't have to worry about not having off line Tidal as hey won't pay for the license. I need proper tone and fun is good for headphones. Thanks so much. the 700 fits perfectly into my budget also.

No problem, man! Make sure you get the MkII too; its black aluminium body is super sexy and it'll maximise the sound coming out of the AK70 without any expensive mods thrown into the mix.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #9,005 of 40,614
Same opinion for AK, after you have to pay attention to Fiio, it is not too sensitive IEMs, I could test the K10 with X5 III, there is a lot of breath for me.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #9,006 of 40,614
No problem, man! Make sure you get the MkII too; its black aluminium body is super sexy and it'll maximise the sound coming out of the AK70 without any expensive mods thrown into the mix.
I thought I had read that people still have issues w/ the MKII and Tidal offline. has that been resolved? That's what's been stopping me from getting one.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #9,007 of 40,614
I thought I had read that people still have issues w/ the MKII and Tidal offline. has that been resolved? That's what's been stopping me from getting one.

No it never 2ill get fixed. AK doesn't run a full android system, due to licensing Tidal won't allow striped Android versions for storing its files online.

You need something that runs Android as far as dap.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #9,008 of 40,614

I'm not aware of this, sorry. I just assumed they ran like normal. What are these issues?

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #9,009 of 40,614

I assume you mean FiiO X7ii?

No problems anymore. Just do the following. In Tidal settings enable crossfade and set it to 1 sec. And Tidal offline plays flawless both from SD Card and internal memory. :)

This also work with other FiiO daps.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #9,010 of 40,614
I assume you mean FiiO X7ii?

No problems anymore. Just do the following. In Tidal settings enable crossfade and set it to 1 sec. And Tidal offline plays flawless both from SD Card and internal memory. :)

This also work with other FiiO daps.

No, he's talking about the Astell & Kern AK70MkII.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #9,014 of 40,614
Sounds like folks feel the AK70mk2 sounds better than the Fiio 7mk 2. I do like the look and size of the AK. Now I need to find discounts or a dealer who will want to make a sale lol.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #9,015 of 40,614
Sounds like folks feel the AK70mk2 sounds better than the Fiio 7mk 2. I do like the look and size of the AK. Now I need to find discounts or a dealer who will want to make a sale lol.

Black Friday/cyber Monday sale is coming up... You'll find something for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back