Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #8,986 of 40,587
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test Zeus in a number of my latest DAP reviews (been asked about it a lot) for the reason that XRA was sent back to EE.
A move you won't regret sir:ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #8,988 of 40,587
I have a Zeus XR

I found a cheap alternative to someone selling on this site for a 4.4 cable. A friend gifted me the wm1a, and the sound is so amazing... Selling mojo

so you are keeping wm1a ? enjoy , and saave up for a decent 4.4 cable for the zeus XR , a review who had both 1a and 1z said that 1a improved much more than 1z when gone balanced

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #8,989 of 40,587
so you are keeping wm1a ? enjoy , and saave up for a decent 4.4 cable for the zeus XR , a review who had both 1a and 1z said that 1a improved much more than 1z when gone balanced

I won't own it for long I'll have to sell it as I'm hurting $

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #8,990 of 40,587
The Cowon Plenue P1 is a steal right now. That's what I have and IMO everything it played with the Zeus was amazing. If things go well tomorrow I'll have my custom Zeus in hand from the delivery man. I don't have a ton of DAP experience but I've played with A&K, FiiO, and Latoo, Sony at CanJam. My favorite is my Cowon.
Now, I couldn't agree more. I also haven't heard the Zeus sound better than from the Plenue 1 so far. Great synergy and a black background.
With it's low (almost give away) price atm, I'm even seriously considering to order an extra one myself, as 'back up' for the future :thinking:

If you like I can make some photo's later this week of the personal EQ setting that I use on the P1 with my Zeus, and send them to you in a pm.

Btw, which Zeus did you order, XIV, R or XR? And Adel or non Adel?
So many flavors to choose from nowadays :grin:

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #8,991 of 40,587
Now, I couldn't agree more. I also haven't heard the Zeus sound better than from the Plenue 1 so far. Great synergy and a black background.
With it's low (almost give away) price atm, I'm even seriously considering to order an extra one myself, as 'back up' for the future :thinking:

If you like I can make some photo's later this week of the personal EQ setting that I use on the P1 with my Zeus, and send them to you in a pm.

Any good links for the P1 in Europe? Got the Onkyo DP-X1A arriving this week to try out with the Zeus, but always liked the feel of my old Plenue D, so would be interested in trying the P1 with the Zeus as well, if the price is right...

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #8,992 of 40,587
To listen to Tidal and co, you can use your smartphone associated with an M2s.
The dx200, I tested it with the basic module.
P1 or P2 must have a good association with Zeus.

You had Fit problems at the recpetion of your EE?

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #8,993 of 40,587
Thanks guys. I will be at Cam Jam, health permitting. Would love to meet all of you who are going. Meeting the EE guys is one of the reasons I'm going. I need to get a hotel reservation as I'm driving in from CT (or taking the train, lol). Really excited about this. Yes, I will wait until then to get my DAP if I go that route. Does the Cowen stream Tidal? I am using a Mojo as I said, so anything that will sound as good or better and does Tidal etc... will win out if it's not over 1200 or so I guess. Hope to possibly have my new CIEM's by then also to really test things. Maybe we can all email if we are going to cam jam to meet up.

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #8,994 of 40,587
Thanks guys. I will be at Cam Jam, health permitting. Would love to meet all of you who are going. Meeting the EE guys is one of the reasons I'm going. I need to get a hotel reservation as I'm driving in from CT (or taking the train, lol). Really excited about this. Yes, I will wait until then to get my DAP if I go that route. Does the Cowen stream Tidal? I am using a Mojo as I said, so anything that will sound as good or better and does Tidal etc... will win out if it's not over 1200 or so I guess. Hope to possibly have my new CIEM's by then also to really test things. Maybe we can all email if we are going to cam jam to meet up.

If you want a DAP that won't break the bank, is capable of streaming TIDAL and would work great with a Mojo, you should really take a look at the AK70mkII. It's silent, balanced-yet-musical and fun, and it has an engaging presentation to boot. It doesn't have the most expansive or grand stage, but won't be a bottleneck to any EE IEM you use. Dignis (and MITER too, I think) makes cases for an AK70+Mojo stack, so that's an added bonus as well.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #8,995 of 40,587

It's funny I've had the same thought about possibly picking up a back-up P1. Once upon a time I was able to send an old device in for battery replacement to Cowon so I'm expecting I should be able to have a long run w/ the P1. If you want to share your EQ settings by all means PM me I'm interested to try them out. For the most part I usually don't use the EQ but I think it is one of the strong points of Cowon and I'm glad it's there when I want it.

I ordered the Zeus R w/ Adel. When I demo'd the XR I had a strong preference towards the R so I decided to save a little and omit the switch. I also liked the G1 Adel module more than the others. I didn't get a chance, or didn't even think to ask about trying a Zeus without the Adel so I don't have that for comparison even though I saw some recent msgs that people preferred it. Oh well. I'm sure I'll be happy w/ what I'm getting for a long time assuming no fit issues.

Does the Cowen stream Tidal?

The Cowon P1 does not include any wireless or bluetooth capabilities. If streaming support is a requirement then this is not the DAP for you.

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #8,997 of 40,587
Any good links for the P1 in Europe? Got the Onkyo DP-X1A arriving this week to try out with the Zeus, but always liked the feel of my old Plenue D, so would be interested in trying the P1 with the Zeus as well, if the price is right...
DP-X1A I think has a good low noise level. It hissed less with my Spartan, compared to with other DAPs. Especially with balanced ACG mode.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #8,998 of 40,587
IMG_2216.jpg

Well now I'm special with my own one-of-a-kind :ksc75smile:

I just received them. I haven't even tried the fit yet but wow don't these look sexy? Hahah watch face! I probably destroyed working watches for this senseless bling. But there it is. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out on the looks side of things...

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #8,999 of 40,587
I LOVE that watch piece one as I am a watch fan too. Beautiful. What I really want Deez, is a DAP so I dont' have to use the Mojo too. I have yet to find one that sounds as good as the Mojo/iphone stack. I just want one for music that can stream Tidal using my phone as it's wifi link if that makes sense?

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #9,000 of 40,587
I LOVE that watch piece one as I am a watch fan too. Beautiful. What I really want Deez, is a DAP so I dont' have to use the Mojo too. I have yet to find one that sounds as good as the Mojo/iphone stack. I just want one for music that can stream Tidal using my phone as it's wifi link if that makes sense?

Don't worry, you're making perfect sense. The AK70MkII can do just that (has TIDAL, capable of tethering to a phone, silent with EE IEMs); I just mentioned it being Mojo-compatible as a bonus in case you wanted to keep the Mojo and use both. I'd need a longer demo to properly compare the Mojo and the MkII in terms of sound, but it's a great package that ticks all your boxes. Otherwise, the Onkyo DP-X1A is a great choice as well. I've seen the Plenue P1 thrown around here too. I don't have much experience with Plenue DAPs though, so I'm unsure whether or not it has all the features you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back