Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #8,626 of 40,577
Nic is a great guy. There are differences between Adel and non Adel. I have tinnitus and I still had mine reshelled because I always felt I was missing the resolution and transparency as it was meant to be heard with the Zeus. Without the Adel module I perceive a bit better bass response as well. IMO, with Zeus you really don't need the additional air that the Adel provides.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #8,627 of 40,577
Which of the Zeus XR (adel or non Adel) has the best synergy/match with the wm1z.. I'm after a new ciem and it's between the two versions of the XR and the A18.. At the moment from reviews and desciptions I'm leaning towards the XR non Adel, but wider Soundstage and air is nice so.. My thought is if the wm1z and the "thick" sound and a bit enhanced bass, perhaps matches well with the Adel version..

Listening to vocal, alternative, rock, pop, synthpop etc.. E.g. Everything from Adel, Sophie zelmani, Emiliano Torrini to Muse, Kent, Depeche mode, daft punk

Also loving my Utopia, but also my he1000 before tha allthough the utopia is first choice and the he1000 is for sale.. The benefits of the utopia trumps the Soundstage of the he1000 to be short..

Based on the genres you've mentioned, the WM1Z pairing, and comparisons to the Utopia and HEK, I'd probably recommend the A18 for you. It has the more open, extended, and headphone-like treble, and it'll play nicer with the wide array of genres. The Zeus will perform exceptionally with artists like Adele, but I reckon bands like Muse and Daft Punk will prefer the cleanliness of the A18. It's a matter of preference; the naturalness and separation of the Zeus vs. the cleanliness and excitement of the A18. Honestly though, if you're thinking about getting the Zeus-ADEL, you might as well get the A18; it has a similar signature for far more resolution, transparency, and vibrancy. There are IEMs that work great wifh ADEL (like the Athena), but the Zeus isn't one of them in my opinion.

Yes Nic has the IV. That's why I'm here to be honest with you. He's been guiding me through this. Just a great guy. I won't be getting the Adel version either I don't think. I'd love to heard the differences, if there are any. Are there any measurements between one with and one without?

I never thought I'd quote myself quoting myself, but here goes... P.S. If you're looking for measurements, @crinacle has them. But, as is customary with measurements, please read ALL of his disclaimers before using any of it as a reference. Happy reading! :D
Here are excerpts from impressions I've posted a while back on both this thread and Nic's Ranking the Stars thread:

"I had the chance to A/B the XR and the XRA for the very first time, and the differences between them were larger than I had anticipated. I felt the XR had more resolution, much sharper and more precise imaging, a blacker background with greater dynamism (due to the better isolation, I presume), better linearity and coherence, and an overall more intimate and focused sound. The XRA, on the other hand, felt more stretched out, resulting in a better feeling of immensity. However, this resulted in the XRA being less engaging, as the music is more out-of-head, rather than you being in it. The XRA also sounded less resolute, and I felt the masterful balance in tuning that the XR had, was somewhat tampered with, resulting in a less even and less realistic/natural sound. I'd say, the XRA is great if you'd rather sit back and let the music surround you, at the expense of utmost detail retrieval and tonality. On the other hand, the XR is fantastic if you want to actively enjoy/critically listen to your music with ultra-high levels of engagement, clarity, and superior imaging and transparency."

"The XR and the XRA have different signatures and different presentations. The XR is richer, more bodied, and more natural sounding than the XRA. The XRA has the impression of being more airy due to a sparklier treble and thinner lower midrange, even though the XR is pretty airy already. I find the custom XR to lack a tiny bit of air just in the treble; everywhere else it has air in spades. On the bright side, this allows the XR to be more forgiving with harsher recordings, while they get unapologetically destroyed by the XRA.

Presentation-wise, the XR is more focused with fantastic clarity, resolution, and pinpoint imaging. The XRA, on the other hand, has a wider and more euphonic presentation, with imaging that's less precise, because the instruments sound somewhat stretched all around you. Resolution is also not as prevalent because of a less black background, some incoherence in the lower midrange, and the aforementioned phenomena of having details stretched around you. A friend of mine who has the XRA claims the carrot module cannot fully convert an XRA into an XR, even if it can get close."

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #8,628 of 40,577
Honestly though, if you're thinking about getting the Zeus-ADEL, you might as well get the A18; it has a similar signature for far more resolution, transparency, and vibrancy. There are IEMs that work great wifh ADEL (like the Athena), but the Zeus isn't one of them in my opinion.
This...I have never heard the U/A 18 but I can say Adel was great with the U12 but as I mentioned above it was not for me on the Zeus

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #8,629 of 40,577
Now that I have a Mojo, I may be leaning more towards getting a ref CIEM rather than say a Spartan. This has been a great ref thread for me in my decisions. Nic, that was pretty funny quoting yourself, lol. Nicely played sir.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #8,630 of 40,577
Now that I have a Mojo, I may be leaning more towards getting a ref CIEM rather than say a Spartan. This has been a great ref thread for me in my decisions. Nic, that was pretty funny quoting yourself, lol. Nicely played sir.

I would echo the others and say that if you're getting a Zeus go non-ADEL but also that instead of getting an R or an XIV you're already paying a lot why not pay a few hundred more and get the XR so you get both signatures.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8,631 of 40,577
Based on the genres you've mentioned, the WM1Z pairing, and comparisons to the Utopia and HEK, I'd probably recommend the A18 for you. It has the more open, extended, and headphone-like treble, and it'll play nicer with the wide array of genres. The Zeus will perform exceptionally with artists like Adele, but I reckon bands like Muse and Daft Punk will prefer the cleanliness of the A18. It's a matter of preference; the naturalness and separation of the Zeus vs. the cleanliness and excitement of the A18. Honestly though, if you're thinking about getting the Zeus-ADEL, you might as well get the A18; it has a similar signature for far more resolution, transparency, and vibrancy. There are IEMs that work great wifh ADEL (like the Athena), but the Zeus isn't one of them in my opinion.
This...I have never heard the U/A 18 but I can say Adel was great with the U12 but as I mentioned above it was not for me on the Zeus

Thanks for the feedback
Seems like in the end you can't get it all even in a TOTL CIEM :)
From what i read it seems like the Zeus XR would fit me perfect for some genres and the A18 for others.
I believe it would be a decision as to which genres i can live with "not the optimal sound" and which i want the absolute best.
I think i care "less" when it comes to rock/pop etc but analyse and want to get into the music more with vocal and those kind of genres.

Today i'm equalising my UE11 pro a little down in the bass and up in the treble, high mid.
Still not resolving enough i think, but i really like the midrange.
The bass i want more defined and if i can say utopia like where it's not slaming your ear but you can hear the fine details in the bass compared to being overpowered. However sometimes you just want to stamp your feet so i hope that if so i could equalize the Zeus to add som extra impact. The Utopia works great with that, but that's seldom needed i think. Anyone have experience with that with the R or XIV?
I think the midrange is most important, the instrument separation, the feeling of having the singer there right in front of you lifelike, the soundstage IS important but i actually do enjoy the intimate soundstage from the utopia more than the HE1000V2 so...

I guess that either the non adel zeus XR or A18 can't be that wrong, just need to choose the priorities.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8,632 of 40,577
I think the midrange is most important, the instrument separation, the feeling of having the singer there right in front of you lifelike, the soundstage IS important but i actually do enjoy the intimate soundstage from the utopia more than the HE1000V2 so...

I guess that either the non adel zeus XR or A18 can't be that wrong, just need to choose the priorities.

Ζeus XIV is like that , however i have not heard the A18 so someone else should chip in

both ciems are great , can't go wrong i guess with either of them - hell, if i had money to burn i would love to get A18 as well but no budget atm after getting XR/WM1A and Zeus XR is fine i guess :beyersmile:

good luck with your search

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #8,633 of 40,577
the spartan is a "reference" signature

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #8,634 of 40,577
Thanks for the feedback
Seems like in the end you can't get it all even in a TOTL CIEM :)
From what i read it seems like the Zeus XR would fit me perfect for some genres and the A18 for others.
I believe it would be a decision as to which genres i can live with "not the optimal sound" and which i want the absolute best.
I think i care "less" when it comes to rock/pop etc but analyse and want to get into the music more with vocal and those kind of genres.

Today i'm equalising my UE11 pro a little down in the bass and up in the treble, high mid.
Still not resolving enough i think, but i really like the midrange.
The bass i want more defined and if i can say utopia like where it's not slaming your ear but you can hear the fine details in the bass compared to being overpowered. However sometimes you just want to stamp your feet so i hope that if so i could equalize the Zeus to add som extra impact. The Utopia works great with that, but that's seldom needed i think. Anyone have experience with that with the R or XIV?

It really looks like Fourté is your IEM.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #8,635 of 40,577
It really looks like Fourté is your IEM.

Mmm If only it was available in customs.. :) I've grown a bit tired of experimenting with tips etc for my u12, so I only want customs..

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #8,636 of 40,577
Last time I checked, female vocals sounded amazing with Zeus XR non-ADEL (compared to U18). The sparkly highs, and sweet sound are both there. As well as the fundamental chesty note. But beware if you're treble-sensitive, as you may feel it can get too bright (YMMV). I think it can be adjusted by pairing with warm/neutral source though, or setting an EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #8,637 of 40,577
I just received my Zeus XR's back from canal fattening, the turn around was VERY fast and the problem is solved. I downloaded the sensaphonics seal test in wav and ran it in UAPP while switching the balance from left to right. Well done team at EE! I am now working on my R and XIV Mojo pairing, soon after will be Hugo2, CDM and S8+. Then I'll begin working on the final review, due out in 2 weeks. It'll be a mega review, Zeus R and then Zeus XIV, their pairing with my sources and then comparison with both and A18. Thanks to everyone at empire for the tremendous customer service and professionalism. These babies sound amazing, it is wonderful to finally hear what the XR's are capable of with a good seal.
I'm happy to hear that you got them back and the seal is fixed! I will be eagerly awaiting your review.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #8,638 of 40,577
Last time I checked, female vocals sounded amazing with Zeus XR non-ADEL (compared to U18). The sparkly highs, and sweet sound are both there. As well as the fundamental chesty note. But beware if you're treble-sensitive, as you may feel it can get too bright (YMMV). I think it can be adjusted by pairing with warm/neutral source though, or setting an EQ.
Sounds like a perfect match for my wm1z, just need to sell som stuff then.. :wink:

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #8,639 of 40,577
Nice!

Mine just left Miami airport via usps so expect I will get them Tuesday or Wednesday this week. Hopefully this is it for me as well. I had a good fit the last time round (my right ear fit first time, unheard of!) and the left fit as well, but just broke the seal a little too easily.

Have a good Canjam everyone going to RMAF!

Edit, just checked tracking and it got to London this morning. Think these things have more airmiles than me now!
I'm glad to see that they are moving on schedule! Hopefully you receive them soon, I'd love to know how they fit now.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #8,640 of 40,577
I'm glad to see that they are moving on schedule! Hopefully you receive them soon, I'd love to know how they fit now.

No show today, so guessing tomorrow or wednesday. Tracking not updated since Saturday (where it shows departed London 8:50am), so lord knows where they are between London and the south coast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back