Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #8,641 of 40,559
No show today, so guessing tomorrow or wednesday. Tracking not updated since Saturday (where it shows departed London 8:50am), so lord knows where they are between London and the south coast!
Let us know what you think huh whenever you receive them

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,643 of 40,559
@Ethan Groover Welcome to EE!

@Jack Vang you and Dean can -again- be proud of the Zeus. I just keep reaching to it and after careful and prolong internal debate, I've decided I'd sell off the LCD-i4 in the comin days. And I'll just await until you and Dean are pleased to release that beauty I heard in London. Only then will I relinquish my baby Zeus.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #8,644 of 40,559
Last time I checked, female vocals sounded amazing with Zeus XR non-ADEL (compared to U18). The sparkly highs, and sweet sound are both there. As well as the fundamental chesty note. But beware if you're treble-sensitive, as you may feel it can get too bright (YMMV). I think it can be adjusted by pairing with warm/neutral source though, or setting an EQ.

Yes, I was at home last night listening straight outta my phone and the female vocals on XR-XIV setting were the best I've ever heard and I don't find it bright at all.

As far as female vocals go, I'm loving this with the XIV:

I just downloaded the FLAC, sounds glorious.

No monitor I've yet heard can touch the midrange of the XIV, the only one I haven't heard that I want to hear is SE5U and until they make demo's that ain't happening.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #8,645 of 40,559
Thank you sir!

@Jack Vang you and Dean can -again- be proud of the Zeus. I just keep reaching to it and after careful and prolong internal debate, I've decided I'd sell off the LCD-i4 in the comin days. And I'll just await until you and Dean are pleased to release that beauty I heard in London. Only then will I relinquish my baby Zeus.
That is quite high praise for the Zeus! Glad to hear you appreciate them so much.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8,646 of 40,559

@Jack Vang Only then will I relinquish my baby Zeus.

Just keep them as an (expensive) backup? :p

In other news my package has gone from London to Coventry (I live on the south coast) in the time it took usps themselves to ship it out from EE to the uk. Status currently says "Held in Customs", so guessing there's a fee to pay :frowning2: Wouldn't mind too much but the thieving gits want £8.00 for a "handling charge"! Think this one is cursed somehow. Last time it came by Fedex and got done for that as well! Wouldn't mind so much but at least Fedex hand over the package before charging for it. It's also the only time(s) I've been done for shipping so shouldn't complain too loud.

Oh well, sure it will be worth the wait in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #8,647 of 40,559
Just keep them as an (expensive) backup? :p

In other news my package has gone from London to Coventry (I live on the south coast) in the time it took usps themselves to ship it out from EE to the uk. Status currently says "Held in Customs", so guessing there's a fee to pay :frowning2: Wouldn't mind too much but the thieving gits want £8.00 for a "handling charge"! Think this one is cursed somehow. Last time it came by Fedex and got done for that as well! Wouldn't mind so much but at least Fedex hand over the package before charging for it. It's also the only time(s) I've been done for shipping so shouldn't complain too loud.

Oh well, sure it will be worth the wait in the end.
Gosh man I'm sorry to hear that...here's to hoping that they get it sorted out ASAP.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #8,650 of 40,559
Yes, I was at home last night listening straight outta my phone and the female vocals on XR-XIV setting were the best I've ever heard and I don't find it bright at all.

As far as female vocals go, I'm loving this with the XIV:

I just downloaded the FLAC, sounds glorious.

No monitor I've yet heard can touch the midrange of the XIV, the only one I haven't heard that I want to hear is SE5U and until they make demo's that ain't happening.

I actually grabbed that FM-84 album on vinyl a couple months back when it was released by a small label in Austria or Germany. Really nice album start-to-finish.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #8,651 of 40,559
I actually grabbed that FM-84 album on vinyl a couple months back when it was released by a small label in Austria or Germany. Really nice album start-to-finish.

Suggest you also get:

Michael Oakley - California
Scandroid - Dreams of Neo Tokyo

Without a doubt the 2 best synth/retrowave albums right now. Also The Midnight just dropped Nocturnal.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #8,652 of 40,559
Suggest you also get:

Michael Oakley - California
Scandroid - Dreams of Neo Tokyo

Without a doubt the 2 best synth/retrowave albums right now. Also The Midnight just dropped Nocturnal.

Thanks for the recs. I'll check them both out!

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,654 of 40,559
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

check this masterpiece album, thank me later

not gonna YT it , these albums deserve straight FLAC listening

cheers

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #8,655 of 40,559
Mutter mutter "stupid customs" mutter, hurry up and wait mutter :p

In other words since getting to the uk last friday, they've taken all this time to get from London to Coventry and are now just sitting there. Can't call up to pay over the phone because they need a reference number which will be in the letter they send out, probably first class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back