Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #6,079 of 40,611
So I can't connect a phone to it and just use the Cowons dac/amp?

Oh I am sorry man. I just had a full mug of coffee and I am having a caffeine rush. I seem to be posting without thinking things twice. My apologies for almost misguiding you.

Ok, here is the thing. Cowon Plenue M2 is a standalone DAP. And just like some of the DAPs these days, it does have the capability to function as a DAC/Amp. Twister6, in his Plenue M2 mentioned that he was able to get it to work as a DAC/Amp with his PC. With his phone, it didn't work well with some of the popular apps. More detailed info can be found here in his review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cowon-pm2-128sl-plenue-m2-pm2-high-resolution-music-player-128gb-platinum-silver/reviews/17124

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #6,080 of 40,611
Oh I am sorry man. I just had a full mug of coffee and I am having a caffeine rush. I seem to be posting without thinking things twice. My apologies for almost misguiding you.

Ok, here is the thing. Cowon Plenue M2 is a standalone DAP. And just like some of the DAPs these days, it does have the capability to function as a DAC/Amp. Twister6, in his Plenue M2 mentioned that he was able to get it to work as a DAC/Amp with his PC. With his phone, it didn't work well with some of the popular apps. More detailed info can be found here in his review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cowon-pm2-128sl-plenue-m2-pm2-high-resolution-music-player-128gb-platinum-silver/reviews/17124

No problem man, just appreciate your help

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6,081 of 40,611
Oh I am sorry man. I just had a full mug of coffee and I am having a caffeine rush. I seem to be posting without thinking things twice. 

I sometimes do this with emails at work and it inevitably comes back to bite me in the butt. 
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #6,082 of 40,611
Wow really? Way better than mojo? Can anyone else comfirm? Is it only that particular Cowon model that has this performance?

well let me put this way, there is no hiss with cowon what so ever, its strong dsp is what makes this dap shine with zues

if you are not into dsp this dap is not for you, simply cowon put all their effort into this dsp to get the best out of that dap

mojo sounds amazing as well, but i am not into stacking anymore with iems

i have the mojo and its just being used as a stack with alo mk3B for my oppo pm1

I owned cowon plenue s and now pm2 and on single ended both sound really similar

i did not feel that the cowon s was worth the price difference even if it was better than the pm2

with fiio x7 its not a good pairing with zeus xr adel

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #6,083 of 40,611
well let me put this way, there is no hiss with cowon what so ever, its strong dsp is what makes this dap shine with zues

if you are not into dsp this dap is not for you, simply cowon put all their effort into this dsp to get the best out of that dap

mojo sounds amazing as well, but i am not into stacking anymore with iems

i have the mojo and its just being used as a stack with alo mk3B for my oppo pm1

I owned cowon plenue s and now pm2 and on single ended both sound really similar

i did not feel that the cowon s was worth the price difference even if it was better than the pm2

with fiio x7 its not a good pairing with zeus xr adel

I don't know much about dsp. Why does people want it, why do some people don't want it? Pros. Cons?

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #6,084 of 40,611
I don't know much about dsp. Why does people want it, why do some people don't want it? Pros. Cons?

simply cowon daps without dsp sounds so flat and lifeless , I serisouly think cowon was meant to be listened to with dsp engaged 

i think 90% of cowon dap owners use dsp when they buy the cowon daps

forget any eq you used in previous daps, the dsp in cowon is totally different

with zeus really its a match that is just spot on

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #6,085 of 40,611

Yeah I was going to grab one this week, but just last week or the week before they were at $599 on Amazon (through Jet Audio). I decided not to buy since they're back up to $650. Jet Audio seems to get stock back in fairly quickly (usually just a few days) but they fluctuate in price enough to the point that I'm happy waiting to save that extra $50. Set a price alert using CamelCamelCamel and you'll be notified when the next price drop happens. I have an alert set up for the Plenue 1 as well, as I've never stopped missing mine since I sold it last year. 
frown.gif

Oh cool. Thanks. I will do this, in case I decide not to take the LPG route.

Btw, thanks for the video on the Plenue S UI. Very helpful.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #6,087 of 40,611

Oh cool. Thanks. I will do this, in case I decide not to take the LPG route.

Btw, thanks for the video on the Plenue S UI. Very helpful.

No problem, I totally forgot I made that video last year. More than 6k views now, which is shocking considering how basic it is.

The DSP has a really advanced EQ as well as some other filters that can tailor the sound to your liking without distortion. It's pretty impressive and powerful for a portable DAP.

With that said, I'm one of very few people that love the Plenue DAPs without EQ or DSP effects. I actually like the stock sound out of them, but I'm a purist and I readily admit my personal feelings about not using EQ are archaic and silly even if I keep clinging to my no-EQ policy. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #6,088 of 40,611

No problem, I totally forgot I made that video last year. More than 6k views now, which is shocking considering how basic it is.

The DSP has a really advanced EQ as well as some other filters that can tailor the sound to your liking without distortion. It's pretty impressive and powerful for a portable DAP.

With that said, I'm one of very few people that love the Plenue DAPs without EQ or DSP effects. I actually like the stock sound out of them, but I'm a purist and I readily admit my personal feelings about not using EQ are archaic and silly even if I keep clinging to my no-EQ policy.

will u upgrade soon to zeus xr adel :), its worth it my friend

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #6,089 of 40,611
  will u upgrade soon to zeus xr adel :), its worth it my friend

etysmile.gif
 I heard the ADEL at Empire Ears a couple weeks ago and thought the soundstage was pretty impressive. I'm definitely saving up for another EE custom and am thinking about the XR ADEL. I just sold my Zeus-R to another Head-fier in preparation. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #6,090 of 40,611

etysmile.gif
 I heard the ADEL at Empire Ears a couple weeks ago and thought the soundstage was pretty impressive. I'm definitely saving up for another EE custom and am thinking about the XR ADEL. I just sold my Zeus-R to another Head-fier in preparation. 

love xr adel, i am literally enjoying it to the extreme, its 2 am here, and i can not stop listening to this impressive iem

i am hooked to it 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back