Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 4, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5,341 of 40,587
@EagleWings:
Thank you for your first impressions, looking forward to the full review

As for the choice:
"Choice between ADEL or the non-ADEL depends on your preference." For everyone who takes hearing serious this is a non-issue, based on my experience with ADEL the industry should embrace this kind of technology and should be mandatory for all iems.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #5,342 of 40,587
[COLOR=4B0082]Zeus-XIV-ADEL - Brief Initial Impressions[/COLOR]

I have been listening to the Zeus-XIV-ADEL for the past couple of days. This is clearly a high fidelity IEM. The bass is neutral and clean. This is not a hard-hitting monitor, because of the BA drivers and ADEL. Sub-bass extension, sub-bass rumble and mid-bass impact, seem to vary, depending on the ADEL module. With the MAM Fully-Closed position, the above three aspects are sufficient in quantity but still at neutral. With the MAM Fully-Open Position and B1, the quantities reduce to some degree. On the plus side, the ADEL, adds airiness and a bit of soundstage width to the presentation. This improves the instrument separation.

The ADEL also seems to remove the thickness of the mids by a small margin and, brings more balance to the spectrum. But the mids still retain the body, lushness and texture, which makes the XIV tuning special. So it retains the inherent warmth and color that makes the sound smooth without any harshness. The treble is neutral, natural and has good extension. It has sufficient sparkle to add life to the music, but is smooth for the most part. It isn’t overly sparkly to excite treble-heads.

Despite the mid-range coloration, Zeus is still one of the most transparent IEMs in the market, due to its resolution (and also partly due to its hyper sensitivity). The resolution and transparency bring out the precision in timbre and imaging. Even though Zeus is very transparent, it is forgiving due to the controlled treble. The soundstage is pretty wide, and has excellent depth and height, that provides a sense of 3-Dimensional space. The depth in the stage leads to excellent layering of instruments.

Due to its hyper sensitivity and efficiency, Zeus is very easy to drive. The downside is, it hisses with every source of mine. The hiss on iPhone 6 is the least and is not very noticeable. The hiss with the Mojo is quite obvious and doesn’t bother me for the most part. But there are tracks with silent passages, when the hiss can be a little distracting.

Zeus is a truly impressive IEM. The XIV tuning is very musical and engaging. The choice between ADEL or the non-ADEL depends on your preference. If you already own a couple of TOTL IEMs and you are purchasing the Zeus-XIV for its special mids, and you don't mind a not-so wide soundstage, the non-ADEL version should serve you well. If you like the XIV tuning and, would like it to be more versatile and, prefer a wide and airy soundstage, then ADEL is the way to go.

Full Review to Follow…

Spot on with regard to ADEL effects, lines up with my experience. Excellent review, all meat and no filler. Look forward to hearing Zeus someday as well.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #5,344 of 40,587
  I'm late to the party, but what are the modules for? 

The module is the ADEL technology: A secondary membrane to absorb pressure trapped within the ear canal. Without referring to the earlier posts already made on said ADEL technology, in layman terms, it relieves the eardrum of pressure and allows for an incredibly healthier, safer, and less fatiguing listening experience, whilst making the sound of the IEMs more spacious among other things depending on which module is used. Please refer to @Canyon Runner for more in-depth information into the tech.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #5,345 of 40,587
  Zeus-XIV-ADEL - Brief Initial Impressions

Zeus is a truly impressive IEM. The XIV tuning is very musical and engaging. The choice between ADEL or the non-ADEL depends on your preference. If you already own a couple of TOTL IEMs and you are purchasing the Zeus-XIV for its special mids, and you don't mind a not-so wide soundstage, the non-ADEL version should serve you well. If you like the XIV tuning and, would like it to be more versatile and, prefer a wide and airy soundstage, then ADEL is the way to go.

Looks like the Zeus XIV suits my tastes better. The soundstage is sufficiently wide (and very deep, I might add), but I'm not a fan of an overly airy sound. Besides, I absolutely adore the XIV's mids, which are some of the best in the industry.

Nevertheless, despite it all, I'm still as eager as ever to try the ADEL versions of the XIV and R. 

Thanks for your impressions!

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5,346 of 40,587
Gave the XRA an extended listen today.
I found that, using the G1 (which I liked the most), the XIV tuning worked for the majority of the music that I listen to (Rock, Pop, Metal, J-Rock). However, there was still a sizeable amount of music that I definitely preferred to listen to with the R tuning (Big band, Orchestral, etc.)

I found the XIV to have much more depth to the soundstage, which was amazing for rock music and J-rock. Instruments extend further behind and ahead of you. However, for orchestral and big band music this effect was really jarring and I definitely preferred the flatter soundstage (and more resolving nature) of the R.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #5,347 of 40,587

The module is the ADEL technology: A secondary membrane to absorb pressure trapped within the ear canal. Without referring to the earlier posts already made on said ADEL technology, in layman terms, it relieves the eardrum of pressure and allows for an incredibly healthier, safer, and less fatiguing listening experience, whilst making the sound of the IEMs more spacious among other things depending on which module is used. Please refer to @Canyon Runner for more in-depth information into the tech.

Thank you for the response. 

That is super cool!  I always feel pressure with my JH16's, and sometimes have to blow my ears out to relieve that pressure.  Which model of EE would be most like a JH16?  

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #5,348 of 40,587

That is super cool!  I always feel pressure with my JH16's, and sometimes have to blow my ears out to relieve that pressure.  Which model of EE would be most like a JH16?  

That's kinda tough to say, the JH16 is ultra bassy, which Dean's tuning isn't. Overall, the whole lineup is much more similar to the JH13 type of sound, but improved upon.

So my knee jerk reaction is something in the savage line up, so you'll have to ask @Jack Vang

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,349 of 40,587

I think you may be looking for something thick and bass-heavy. Try contacting Jack Vang for EE's currently unreleased Savage line, which is aimed towards bassheads. I'm sure he can recommend a model to suit your needs!

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5,350 of 40,587

It was mentioned earlier that the Hermes has the most bass quantity among the Olympus line. I am not sure if the Savage line implements ADEL tech.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #5,351 of 40,587
It was mentioned earlier that the Hermes has the most bass quantity among the Olympus line. I am not sure if the Savage line implements ADEL tech.
Idk about that, from what I remember when I had the lineup I dont agree with that. And yes ADEL tech is available with the Savage series.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #5,352 of 40,587
Hermes was the bassiest and warmest to me as well, so my least liked in the original lineup. However, Hermes may benefit the most of the Adel tech, along with the original Zeus. In my very brief Adel lineup demo, Hermes sounded pretty great with the modules. I need to get back and bring my own tips and spend a bit longer with them all.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #5,354 of 40,587
Hi All, I am going to be getting a Zeus XRA very soon, but this morning I killed my Calyx M. I currently use a K10 and Katana. I need to get a new DAP ASAP as I am now without one. My 1960 and no5 cables just arrived two days ago also - sigh. So I want to get a Dap that will work nicely with the Zeus. Is there any consensus on what Dap's pair best?

Thinking maybe ak240SS? But open to suggestions. I can also get a good price on AK320 and lottoo paw gold.

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #5,355 of 40,587

They do, i asked DJ about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back