Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #5,026 of 40,713
How does this cable compare to the Whiplash cable? Does anyone know specifically which Whiplash as a BTG upgrade cable is now being offered for the Zeus XR Adel?

i have not received it yet to give impressions but once i do i will share, but it has been highly recommended

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #5,027 of 40,713
It's really rough on the inside of the holes and the outer o-ring isn't contacting tightly, everything is kinda loose. Whenever I try to turn the knob on the MAM, the entire module spins in the hole.And there's no screen over the diaphragm of the module, if I'm remembering correctly from other pictures there is supposed to be one? Also when tightened down all the way the right module's knob sticks out farther than the left.[/IMG]

It's hard to tell looking at the pictures of the holes, so idk how helpful they will actually be.

The module should fit tight otherwise there is no seal. Better contact ee directly.

Ordered an xr adel. Hopefully mine won't have the same issue.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5,028 of 40,713

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #5,029 of 40,713
  i have not received it yet to give impressions but once i do i will share, but it has been highly recommended

what do you mean by highly recommended ? which cable? The Wisplash?

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #5,030 of 40,713
Cheers. I've heard about the stuff Asius are working on. Looks interesting.

I'm considering something with a MAM module for the times when my ETD flares up. I by no means suffer as bad as some, but do get allergies and blockage in the left ear which is annoying due to perceived channel imbalance as well as quick pressure induced fatigue.

I've read that MAM could allow you to dial in equalisation between the two ears but not sure how this would work as surely you'd be letting in differing levels of external noise to compensate?

When dialing in for individual ear impedance you sing or hum a note. I find the method of adjusting by music to be less useful and efficient than using the sing method.

To match the MAM's to your individual ear impedance: (note this is done one ear at a time)

1. Back the knobs all the way out away from your head (ADEL not active, module sealed and closed)
2. Gradually begin to turn the knob back into the body of the CIEM, going INTO the ADEL effect and sing/hum a note as you do it.
3. When you hear your voice change and become more normal sounding and you hear the BOOM of your voice in your head decrease you are getting close. Remember to do one ear at a time and listen very carefully for the decrease in the BOOM or occulsion effect as you sing/hum.
4. If you hear the occulsionn/Boom effect beginning to increase again AFTER it started decreasing, that means you've gone too far so back up a bit. Remember this is to be done slowly and gradually and listening carefully. As you get better, you'll be able to detect the generally correct pressure as well as the decreasing BOOM feeling. Be perceptive!
5. Remember how many turns from closed it took you to find the sweet spot FOR EACH EAR. Record it on a post it note and put it in your IEM case. For example. My right is about 3.5 1/4 turns from closed. I like to break it down into quarter turns because it makes it easier to be more precise.

Also, with regard to the knobs, yes they may protrude slightly differently snd that's fine.

Further info on MAM:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1348/5519/files/MAM_Instructions.pdf?14125951039904836164

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,031 of 40,713
It's really rough on the inside of the holes and the outer o-ring isn't contacting tightly, everything is kinda loose. Whenever I try to turn the knob on the MAM, the entire module spins in the hole.And there's no screen over the diaphragm of the module, if I'm remembering correctly from other pictures there is supposed to be one? Also when tightened down all the way the right module's knob sticks out farther than the left.[/IMG]

It's hard to tell looking at the pictures of the holes, so idk how helpful they will actually be.

Your MAM's have a membrane not a mesh. Sometimes humidity/sweat may make the membrane appear see through, no worries.

I would contact Jack about the looseness.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #5,033 of 40,713
Your MAM's have a membrane not a mesh. Sometimes humidity/sweat may make the membrane appear see through, no worries.

I would contact Jack about the looseness.
I was meaning a protective mesh/screen over the diaphragm.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,034 of 40,713
I understand they are very busy but they should get back to you soon (I know Jack is out of town as well), have you tried calling?
I'm in school during most of their business hours, so it's kinda difficult.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,036 of 40,713
I was meaning a protective mesh/screen over the diaphragm.

As a few other others have said, there is no screen or mesh over the membrane. I think it's probably likely that you're confusing our modules with 64s, they use a screen to retain their ...material... in place.

Jacks in Japan for the audioshow right now, but if you want you can feel free to call me and I can help troubleshoot your issue. Just PM me for my number (i avoid putting my number on here for automated spam reasons).

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #5,037 of 40,713
  Jacks in Japan for the audioshow right now, but if you want you can feel free to call me and I can help troubleshoot your issue. Just PM me for my number (i avoid putting my number on here for automated spam reasons).

How would the Nigerian Prince call you, if you are not putting your number on here? 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5,038 of 40,713
Haven't had any time to try the monitors out yet unfortunately as work's been busy today but I just want to take the time to say Jack went above and beyond when it came to helping me with my order, making sure I got exactly what I wanted in a timely fashion as well as personally handling customs when they called inquiring about the package (Portuguese customs are ruthless and he knows this first-hand now haha). Impeccable customer support and a great guy to talk to in general, the craftsmanship of the IEMs is wonderful and I can't wait to try them once I get home.

(pardon the phone camera, it's dreadful)

PS: I'd like to thank the remainder of the EE/Asius team(s) as well for the amazing work they're doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back