Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #40,531 of 40,577
Except it's not mounted there 🤣 why don't you buy one and tell me? I'm just an idiot who owns one and knows exactly where its mounted and how thin the acryllic is.
Dude, chill. I have EVO, Odyssey, and Raven. All I did was say that I've heard EE say that the W10 BCD transfers through the eartip, and quote information directly from one of Jack's posts.

If you wanna throw a dismissive hissy fit... have at it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #40,532 of 40,577
Dude, chill. I have EVO, Odyssey, and Raven. All I did was say that I've heard EE say that the W10 BCD transfers through the eartip, and quote information directly from one of Jack's posts.

If you wanna throw a dismissive hissy fit... have at it.
If you want to believe marketing speak instead of plain boldfaced common sense and be a debate bro... have at it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #40,533 of 40,577
Capture.PNG

It is indeed what EE officially states.

"Unlike the competition the Legend EVO does not utilize bone conduction "vibration" cover plates, piezoelectric ceramics, ceramic layers/coatings, voltage boosters, electrostatics, a faceplate vent, metal vents, metal bending plates, metal nozzle nor a frequency divider circuit board of any kind to transmit vibrations via bone conduction."

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #40,534 of 40,577

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #40,535 of 40,577
Based on my testing of Raven vs Novus the BC implementation offers a different presentation. The Sonion equipped Novus BC is a broader, more transparent addition to the headspace imaging. Raven is a more dense, circular sound field.

From what I understand, regardless of driver, these sound waves can transmit strongly near direct ear anatomy contact where the driver is mounted. The remaining shell contact with the various ear anatomy can also supplement this. If these broader areas fail, the transmission will still make its way to the narrower bore near the inner ear and act as intended. This differs from other BCD variants which rely on direct and primary contact, for example, the temple; temple transducers.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #40,536 of 40,577
Capture.PNG

It is indeed what EE officially states.

"Unlike the competition the Legend EVO does not utilize bone conduction "vibration" cover plates, piezoelectric ceramics, ceramic layers/coatings, voltage boosters, electrostatics, a faceplate vent, metal vents, metal bending plates, metal nozzle nor a frequency divider circuit board of any kind to transmit vibrations via bone conduction."
Yes they specifically called out every other implementation and version of the tech to differentiate their product (in particular calling out UM's implementation) but I don't see anything unique in the final product that's extraordinary with respect to any other shell construction they've done going all the way down to the Bravado/ESR over the years.

I'm sure the vibrations make it all the way to the ear tip as a result of the thickness/rigidity of the shell as a whole but one's ear is absolutely interacting with the shell with closer to proximity/strength to the WX driver.

This is a marketing pamphlet to move units at the end of the day. No different than a cable company selling "sonic Nirvana through superior materials and research".

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #40,537 of 40,577
There is no practical engineering explanation for why the Weapon X would be mated specifically to the nozzle made of the same exact material the rest of the shell is when it is mounted the furthest away from that portion of the unit.

This is a nice thought experiment at this point -)

A reason for example coubld be the possible dampening effect of the tissue between the outer ear and the bones. If the distance from the ear canal to bones is shorter, than it makes sense to focus the vibrations there.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #40,538 of 40,577
This is a nice thought experiment at this point -)

A reason for example coubld be the possible dampening effect of the tissue between the outer ear and the bones. If the distance from the ear canal to bones is shorter, than it makes sense to focus the vibrations there.
This is where the Mest implementation mounted to the "lid" of the shell has much less of an effect and has me placing it's impact in the "trust me bro" category. It also has a narrower frequency assignment.

The thickness of the shell, the strength of it, doesn't have me considering it at all. I've given up trying to identify it's contribution and just trust they do something (in UM's MEST implementation)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #40,539 of 40,577
Hey, everyone! I just posted Part 1 of my CanJam SG 2024 round-up over on the Watercooler thread, and I wanted to share the Triton portion here. Here's what I thought of the prototype Jack brought to Singapore:

Empire Ears Triton

DSC01693-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

To me, the Triton is Empire’s first basshead IEM since their venerable Legend X. It’s a warm, thumping in-ear with a convex (or slow-falling) drop from the sub-bass to low-mids, resulting in a lush, syrupy timbre throughout. From its low-mids, it only rises slightly in its upper-mids, so you won’t get that brassy, saturated tonality that made the ODIN and Legend EVO such divisive in-ears. Instead, lead instruments here have a deep, earthy, husky tone; a bit darker than they are vibrant. The treble follows suit, opting for linear uniformity over sheer cut. I heard a slight 5kHz peak for clarity, a dip in the mid-treble to avoid etches and ticks, then a very stable, sufficiently airy upper-treble.

Despite its fatter, smokier notes and mellower transients, I found the Triton quite impressive in technical performance. It wasn’t the sharpest imager or the keenest detailer, but I thought it was superb in background blackness - allowing those huskier notes to still stand out and leap off the backdrop - and in staging. It was a wide, open in-ear with solidly-built, strongly-tactile notes. So, it probably won’t dethrone any of your more reference-y flagships, and it probably isn't the most versatile in-ear in the world. But, if you’re specifically after that basshead sound or, moreover, were an admirer of the OG Legend X, the Triton is as good a candidate (and successor) as you can get.

P.S. I’ve heard word that EE may seek to give the Triton a wee bit more balance, without losing its basshead sensibilities. If they can pull that off, my 2nd criticism may not even apply. Fingers crossed! Also, there’s reason to believe that it won’t have eye-watering, flagship pricing. So, do keep that in mind. :wink:

P.P.S Here's a photo of @Jack Vang beaming, because why not? :D

DSC01701-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #40,540 of 40,577
Hey, everyone! I just posted Part 1 of my CanJam SG 2024 round-up over on the Watercooler thread, and I wanted to share the Triton portion here. Here's what I thought of the prototype Jack brought to Singapore:

Empire Ears Triton

To me, the Triton is Empire’s first basshead IEM since their venerable Legend X. It’s a warm, thumping in-ear with a convex (or slow-falling) drop from the sub-bass to low-mids, resulting in a lush, syrupy timbre throughout. From its low-mids, it only rises slightly in its upper-mids, so you won’t get that brassy, saturated tonality that made the ODIN and Legend EVO such divisive in-ears. Instead, lead instruments here have a deep, earthy, husky tone; a bit darker than they are vibrant. The treble follows suit, opting for linear uniformity over sheer cut. I heard a slight 5kHz peak for clarity, a dip in the mid-treble to avoid etches and ticks, then a very stable, sufficiently airy upper-treble.

Despite its fatter, smokier notes and mellower transients, I found the Triton quite impressive in technical performance. It wasn’t the sharpest imager or the keenest detailer, but I thought it was superb in background blackness - allowing those huskier notes to still stand out and leap off the backdrop - and in staging. It was a wide, open in-ear with solidly-built, strongly-tactile notes. So, it probably won’t dethrone any of your more reference-y flagships, and it probably isn't the most versatile in-ear in the world. But, if you’re specifically after that basshead sound or, moreover, were an admirer of the OG Legend X, the Triton is as good a candidate (and successor) as you can get.

P.S. I’ve heard word that EE may seek to give the Triton a wee bit more balance, without losing its basshead sensibilities. If they can pull that off, my 2nd criticism may not even apply. Fingers crossed! Also, there’s reason to believe that it won’t have eye-watering, flagship pricing. So, do keep that in mind. :wink:

Great cover up of the Triton, clear, concise and thorough as always, thank you. It sounds really what I am waiting for. Any idea when it will be released?

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #40,541 of 40,577

Empire Ears Triton

Jack looking like he just bench pressed the competitors.
The Iems look good too 🤭. By chance did you hear the Hero? On balance where's it approach that vice the LX tilt? Or is this a secret Hero V2?

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #40,542 of 40,577
Great cover up of the Triton, clear, concise and thorough as always, thank you. It sounds really what I am waiting for. Any idea when it will be released?
I wanna say I heard they’re gearing up for a summer release - June or July, maybe - but I also can’t recall where I heard it from. :D So, don’t quote me on that.

Jack looking like he just bench pressed the competitors.
The Iems look good too 🤭. By chance did you hear the Hero? On balance where's it approach that vice the LX tilt? Or is this a secret Hero V2?
I heard the Hero years ago, and I recall it having a more W-shaped sorta sound. The Triton is absolutely L-shaped, so it’s much more like the LX than any other IEM EE have put out.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #40,543 of 40,577
I personally thought the triton sounded like a raven lite.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #40,544 of 40,577
I personally thought the triton sounded like a raven lite.
Does the Triton not have too much bass to be compared to the Raven? I haven't tried the production unit, but the Raven prototype I heard last CanJam had a just-slightly-elevated bass, tighter, cleaner mids and a sharper, airier treble. Whereas, the Triton has a notably-elevated bass, a wetter, thicker, more luscious midrange and a linear, lightly-mellowed treble.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #40,545 of 40,577

Empire Ears Triton

From your description I didn't notice much of a difference from LX except for 5khz peak that could even be a downgrade for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back