Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #40,517 of 40,577
Why does that matter ? Both Novus and Raven are designed by EE. Why they used Sonion BCDs instead of Weapon X, only they know.
Definitely, I agree. It’s just that OP specifically asked whether or not the Novus had Weapon X in it or not. I felt it was apt to explain that it does not have Weapon X per se, but it does have BCD drivers.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #40,518 of 40,577
I think the solution to the Raven problem is Novus !
The way I see it there’s no reason to buy a Raven anymore except for the shell size. Novus is an upgrade in all aspects isn’t it ?
The main reason I won't be getting Novus is... the hideous 24k gold plating. If it was slightly less expensive, I might be willing to live with it. I hope EE moves away from gold IEM shells quickly.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #40,519 of 40,577
It has BCDs, but the Sonion ones that are also in the Canpur 622B, among others. AFAIK, it looks more like a BA driver - sound tube and all - so it's easier to implement than the Weapon X, which requires precise positioning, air volume calculations, etc. I think this is where most of the industry is headed as far as BCDs go, except for UM, who have their own thing going.
Thanks for clarifying this. Do you think the sonion BCDs were more effective than WeaponX?

WeaponX works through the nozzle, do Sonion BCDs work the same way or through the shells?

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #40,520 of 40,577
Thanks for clarifying this. Do you think the sonion BCDs were more effective than WeaponX?

WeaponX works through the nozzle, do Sonion BCDs work the same way or through the shells?

I think they are and as @Deezel177 mentioned, they eliminate many engineering issues based on ease of application and space savings. Sound wise they seem a bit more nimble and spacious with headspace audio projection.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #40,521 of 40,577

I can’t say really. You’d need to A/B them in otherwise identical IEMs. Weapon X works the same way. That’s why you can’t use foam tips with the EVO and Raven. They dampen the driver’s effect. I think the Sonion BCD is just more convenient, because they aren’t as sensitive to how much air is in the shell, where it’s placed, etc. It’ll allow them to make CIEMs with BCDs, for example.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #40,522 of 40,577
I can’t say really. You’d need to A/B them in otherwise identical IEMs. Weapon X works the same way. That’s why you can’t use foam tips with the EVO and Raven. They dampen the driver’s effect. I think the Sonion BCD is just more convenient, because they aren’t as sensitive to how much air is in the shell, where it’s placed, etc. It’ll allow them to make CIEMs with BCDs, for example.
@haci The Weapon X through the shell of the EVO works primarily through the Cymba Concha (interior of the antihelix), Concha, Antitragus, and Tragus contact. I'm sure a foam tip will attenuate vibrations by virtue of its mass damping being attached to the nozzle but it's not "through the nozzle" (tragus and outer ear canal contact) entirely dependent on a deep seating and tip material to transmit.

As deezel pointed out though, this is why the EVO and Raven are so dang big 🤭

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #40,523 of 40,577
I think they are and as @Deezel177 mentioned, they eliminate many engineering issues based on ease of application and space savings. Sound wise they seem a bit more nimble and spacious with headspace audio projection.

@haci The Weapon X through the shell of the EVO works primarily through the Cymba Concha (interior of the antihelix), Concha, Antitragus, and Tragus contact. I'm sure a foam tip will attenuate vibrations by virtue of its mass damping being attached to the nozzle but it's not "through the nozzle" (tragus and outer ear canal contact) entirely dependent on a deep seating and tip material to transmit.

As deezel pointed out though, this is why the EVO and Raven are so dang big 🤭

Well, it had been my understanding until now that WeaponX BCD transmits the vibrations through the nozzle’s touch in the ear canal, rather than the shells touching outer ear, and all other BCDs conducted via the latter mechsnism.

Thanks for this

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #40,524 of 40,577
Could you explain the change in sound between v1 and v2? Did you manage to A/B them? I'm still holding on to my v1 -)
Yeah sure, I had listened to both fairly close together and heard both extensively so have a good grasp of how they sound. The V1 definitely sounded more cavernous than the V2 having an almost boundless sense of stage, the V2 is still vast in its staging but doesn’t give that endless feeling. One benefit the V2 has over the V1 though is in its bass, the V1 could sometimes give the sense of the bass feeling a little… hollow… for lack of a better term, V2 bass seems much more sure footed and slightly more layered. It seems like it plays a more prominent role in the mix.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #40,525 of 40,577
Well, it had been my understanding until now that WeaponX BCD transmits the vibrations through the nozzle’s touch in the ear canal, rather than the shells touching outer ear, and all other BCDs conducted via the latter mechsnism.

Thanks for this
I had to look up "ear anatomy" to get it right 🤭🤣

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #40,526 of 40,577
Yeah sure, I had listened to both fairly close together and heard both extensively so have a good grasp of how they sound. The V1 definitely sounded more cavernous than the V2 having an almost boundlessness sense of stage, the V2 is still vast in its staging but doesn’t give that endless feeling. One benefit the V2 has over the V1 though is in its bass, the V1 could sometimes give the sense of the bass feeling a little… hollow… for lack of a better term, V2 bass seems much more sure footed and slightly more layered. It seems like it plays a more prominent role in the mix.
Your opinion is just like mine, which I kept in my head because I didn't know how to express it.🤣

The V1 is generally natural, has good resolution, and feels light and comfortable. The V2's bass is more enjoyable, but the highs are sacrificed a bit.

V1, V2 are minor differences, Raven is still TOTL.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #40,528 of 40,577
Wait, did you look up the working mechsnism of a generic BCD, or Weapon X specifically? If it’s the former, I might still be right actually
A BCD transmits vibration by virtue of being mounted in the shell. The large shells fit snugly in those areas. The weapon X is mounted on the rear of the unit which fits snugly into the cymba concha. The majority of the shell material contacts the interior concha and also slugly fits into the anti-tragus. There is no practical engineering explanation for why the Weapon X would be mated specifically to the nozzle made of the same exact material the rest of the shell is when it is mounted the furthest away from that portion of the unit. The primary contact point for the Weapon X is the cymba concha and the rigidity of the material will dictate how well it propagates throughout the shell to other portions of the ear; the nozzle is the furthest away from the driver while the point below the tragus is linearly the furthest away from the driver.

Unique Melody on the other hand mates their BCD to a rigid plate which is bonded to the shell but promotes the transmission of vibration through certain portions of the shell on the interior contact patch as well.

FiR with their ported bass requires a minimal air-gap (the vent itself ideally) to also push sound energy into the same meaty portion of the ear so you'd really want a deep seated tip or CIEM to take full advantage of this tech considering they are small shells in the UIEM variant AND made of solid chunks of metal. This tech requires a flush fit and good grip from the tips to retain them inside the ear.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #40,529 of 40,577
A BCD transmits vibration by virtue of being mounted in the shell. The large shells fit snugly in those areas. The weapon X is mounted on the rear of the unit which fits snugly into the cymba concha. The majority of the shell material contacts the interior concha and also slugly fits into the anti-tragus. There is no practical engineering explanation for why the Weapon X would be mated specifically to the nozzle made of the same exact material the rest of the shell is when it is mounted the furthest away from that portion of the unit. The primary contact point for the Weapon X is the cymba concha and the rigidity of the material will dictate how well it propagates throughout the shell to other portions of the ear; the nozzle is the furthest away from the driver while the point below the tragus is linearly the furthest away from the driver.

Unique Melody on the other hand mates their BCD to a rigid plate which is bonded to the shell but promotes the transmission of vibration through certain portions of the shell on the interior contact patch as well.

FiR with their ported bass requires a minimal air-gap (the vent itself ideally) to also push sound energy into the same meaty portion of the ear so you'd really want a deep seated tip or CIEM to take full advantage of this tech considering they are small shells in the UIEM variant AND made of solid chunks of metal. This tech requires a flush fit and good grip from the tips to retain them inside the ear.
Seems like I remember EE saying several times that the Weapon X bone conduction is transferred through the ear canal, so is dependent on the eartip to properly transfer.

I found this earlier in the thread posted by Jack around the time EVO was being released...

Jack Vang:
"The W10 is strategically ceiling mounted in a specially designed cavity at the top of the shell. This cavity is engineered to keep all sonic vibrations internal, maximizing bone conductivity transfer through the solid-filled ear canal."

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #40,530 of 40,577
Seems like I remember EE saying several times that the Weapon X bone conduction is transferred through the ear canal, so is dependent on the eartip to properly transfer.

I found this earlier in the thread posted by Jack around the time EVO was being released...

Jack Vang:
"The W10 is strategically ceiling mounted in a specially designed cavity at the top of the shell. This cavity is engineered to keep all sonic vibrations internal, maximizing bone conductivity transfer through the solid-filled ear canal."
Except it's not mounted there 🤣 why don't you buy one and tell me? I'm just an idiot who owns one and knows exactly where its mounted and how thin the acryllic is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back