Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #40,336 of 40,566
I'm looking into another IEM. I'm a huge fan of EE and would like to stay within the brand. I currently have a custom Nemesis, Valkyrie MkI and Bravado.

My goal is to get a slightly more neutral signature with a more controlled bass. I tried the universal ESR at CanJam (And meet Jack for the first time) and that was a bit too try. I do wonder if a custom ESR would do the trick. I'm also considering the Hero.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.
What is your budget?

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #40,337 of 40,566
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #40,339 of 40,566
I’m not sure what a gently used Odin is going for these days but that would be my best guess based on what you described
Around 2k used. I kind of want to stick to custom although I found a used Hero that I might buy. The Hero and ESR are on the short list.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #40,340 of 40,566
Around 2k used. I kind of want to stick to custom although I found a used Hero that I might buy. The Hero and ESR are on the short list.

I hear you. I love customs as well… but that nearly negates used unless you’re open to reshelling.

I’d strongly recommend just giving it a week or so and see what you think then.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #40,341 of 40,566
I hear you. I love customs as well… but that nearly negates used unless you’re open to reshelling.

I’d strongly recommend just giving it a week or so and see what you think then.
Glad you’re back. Love the insider info!

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #40,344 of 40,566
As an IEM newbie, I thought I'd post some Empire Ears Odin impressions here.

I'm a headphones guy, and have only ever dipped my toes into the Chi-fi-an-Amazon via r/headphones recommendations pool in the past. But CanJam impressions on the Campfire Trifecta led me to do a bit of a deep dive on TOTL IEMs this past week, as it's an element of audio I've cruelly overlooked.

PXL_20240327_154048606~2.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Firstly, why Odin? Descriptions and impressions made it sound like it fit with my sound preferences, which is centred around detail retrieval, clarity, punchy dynamics but far short of being a basshead. I was looking for something that ticked most of the boxes across the spectrum really, and did them all really well.

The Odin certainly delivers on that.

There's not a single thing it does badly. Soundstage, imaging, clarity, resolution, dynamics are all absolutely top notch. The buttery smooth edges on the buds themselves make these a job to have in your ears.

I've paired it with a Cayin RU6 which brings a lovely warmth to the sound, with a richness and fullness that's really lacking in my only other DAC option: an Ifi Go Blu. Even tinkering with the various XBASS and XAIR settings on the Go Blu, it can't match the richness of tonality here.

I was a bit perturbed by some hissing early on until I actually bothered to read the Cayin manual which said to turn up the volume max on my audio device (I've just got an Pixel phone attached to the RU6) and control volume on the RU6. Instant improvement. Hiss reduced to almost nothing, and sound massively fuller and cleaner again.

VERSUS HEADPHONES
My headphones are in my sig. They're very good headphones. I never expected to hear something from IEMs that would rival any of them.

After just a few hours with the Odin, I can imagine very happily listening to these at my desk while the 1266 or Sus sit on the metaphorical bench.

On a technical level, they are absolutely up there with anything I've heard. But these aren't just an exercise in 'ooh, did you hear that little chime in the background...' kind of stuff. The music is totally satisfying me on an emotional level because the technicalities are all spot on for me.

That also is not to say these are clinically boring neutral. The peaks in treble are in all the right places, and the mids are still crisp and warm and intimate. Vocals are absolutely sublime on this. Yet it can still deliver thunderous punch and bass.

IME there are very few headphones that can deliver all of this. For the Odin to be able to do what they do, blows me away.

CONCLUSIONS
My impressions have to be tempered with the fact that I haven't heard many IEMs. All I can really relate to is that compared to the Trifecta I heard recently, the Odin are in another order entirely for me. Not even the same sport, never mind the same league. That said, I totally get why many love them. They were very fun at the start, but weren't sustainable with enough of my music.

I'm really excited about getting into more of my music library with the Odins. They are truly astounding.

Peace!

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #40,345 of 40,566

I'm a headphones guy, and have only ever dipped my toes into the Chi-fi-an-Amazon via r/headphones recommendations pool in the past. But CanJam impressions on the Campfire Trifecta led me to do a bit of a deep dive on TOTL IEMs this past week, as it's an element of audio I've cruelly overlooked.

PXL_20240327_154048606~2.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Firstly, why Odin? Descriptions and impressions made it sound like it fit with my sound preferences, which is centred around detail retrieval, clarity, punchy dynamics but far short of being a basshead. I was looking for something that ticked most of the boxes across the spectrum really, and did them all really well.

The Odin certainly delivers on that.

There's not a single thing it does badly. Soundstage, imaging, clarity, resolution, dynamics are all absolutely top notch. The buttery smooth edges on the buds themselves make these a job to have in your ears.

I've paired it with a Cayin RU6 which brings a lovely warmth to the sound, with a richness and fullness that's really lacking in my only other DAC option: an Ifi Go Blu. Even tinkering with the various XBASS and XAIR settings on the Go Blu, it can't match the richness of tonality here.

I was a bit perturbed by some hissing early on until I actually bothered to read the Cayin manual which said to turn up the volume max on my audio device (I've just got an Pixel phone attached to the RU6) and control volume on the RU6. Instant improvement. Hiss reduced to almost nothing, and sound massively fuller and cleaner again.

VERSUS HEADPHONES
My headphones are in my sig. They're very good headphones. I never expected to hear something from IEMs that would rival any of them.

After just a few hours with the Odin, I can imagine very happily listening to these at my desk while the 1266 or Sus sit on the metaphorical bench.

On a technical level, they are absolutely up there with anything I've heard. But these aren't just an exercise in 'ooh, did you hear that little chime in the background...' kind of stuff. The music is totally satisfying me on an emotional level because the technicalities are all spot on for me.

That also is not to say these are clinically boring neutral. The peaks in treble are in all the right places, and the mids are still crisp and warm and intimate. Vocals are absolutely sublime on this. Yet it can still deliver thunderous punch and bass.

IME there are very few headphones that can deliver all of this. For the Odin to be able to do what they do, blows me away.

CONCLUSIONS
My impressions have to be tempered with the fact that I haven't heard many IEMs. All I can really relate to is that compared to the Trifecta I heard recently, the Odin are in another order entirely for me. Not even the same sport, never mind the same league. That said, I totally get why many love them. They were very fun at the start, but weren't sustainable with enough of my music.

I'm really excited about getting into more of my music library with the Odins. They are truly astounding.

Peace!
Give it a spin on your Chord Dave! I’m sure it’ll blow your socks off.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #40,347 of 40,566
Mar 28, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #40,350 of 40,566

If you new Odin owners want more sub bass these EQ very well. They have the same drivers as the Legend Evos so they can really thump when turned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back