Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #40,321 of 40,566
What you’re describing is a 3k new release which depreciates to 50% of MSRP in 1-2 years max and then there is a brand new super enticing successor for 3-4k and you’re wondering if you should upgrade…That’s just the name of the game in this hobby, wherever you live… :)

In general, there are a few ways to deal with this, depending on the size of the wallet and levels of madness:
1. Large wallet: do whatever you want, YOLO.
2. Medium wallet / smart: buy new releases with a (review) discount, enjoy them for 2 months, and then sell with limited or no loss
3. Medium wallet / less smart: wait for 6-12 months after release and then buy it used for 30-40% off. Keep for a year and then sell with a relatively small loss.
4. Medium wallet / dumb: same as nr. 3 but keep them forever, letting them depreciate to zero. (My strategy …)
5. Small wallet / dumb: buy new like you can afford it …
6. Small wallet / smarter: buy one good IEM in the used market and stick with it forever
7. Small wallet / smart: delete your headfi account now
You & me both with #4, Mat 😢

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #40,322 of 40,566
What you’re describing is a 3k new release which depreciates to 50% of MSRP in 1-2 years max and then there is a brand new super enticing successor for 3-4k and you’re wondering if you should upgrade…That’s just the name of the game in this hobby, wherever you live… :)

In general, there are a few ways to deal with this, depending on the size of the wallet and levels of madness:
2. Medium wallet / smart: buy new releases with a (review) discount, enjoy them for 2 months, and then sell with limited or no loss
3. Medium wallet / less smart: wait for 6-12 months after release and then buy it used for 30-40% off. Keep for a year and then sell with a relatively small loss.
4. Medium wallet / dumb: same as nr. 3 but keep them forever, letting them depreciate to zero. (My strategy …)
6. Small wallet / smarter: buy one good IEM in the used market and stick with it forever
Great and wise post!

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #40,323 of 40,566
If you just buy what sounds good and then keep if for 3-5 years, and ignore the newer better flashier, you'll be happier.

Unless you have unlimited money to throw around.

I've said it before, people here are always chasing the dragon.

The trick is to stop. There will never be a perfect IEM or player. There is always just that little something you'd like more (or less) of.

If you have to have something new, wait a few years and buy it used for half.

Because new is only 3-6% better than what you already have, if that.

Unless you just came into the hobby at the lowest level and want to make the jump to the top.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #40,324 of 40,566

#4 is the way. HOLD THE LINE!!!
The thing is, if you buy what YOU (not you per se) love, it's much harder to feel like you got got. If you buy the hype (buy high sell low) you're gonna regret almost every purchase and feel jaded by the constant release schedules and upgrade itis.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #40,325 of 40,566

Matt the Philosopher King! 😂

I guess I am a 4/5. Purchase new and keep forever. Not the brightest.
Too many friends on Headfi for number 7!

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #40,326 of 40,566

#4 is the way. HOLD THE LINE!!!
The thing is, if you buy what YOU (not you per se) love, it's much harder to feel like you got got. If you buy the hype (buy high sell low) you're gonna regret almost every purchase and feel jaded by the constant release schedules and upgrade itis.

There is some quality conversation here.

#4 is a sweet spot for many people in the high-end market here on Head-Fi and in my other communities.

I generally encourage most of my brands to remember that most "normal people" are 4 to 7, and 1 to 3 are the outliers.

In this community, the outliers tend to have more prominent voices but shouldn't be considered "average" for what most people can spend.

They are most definitely 1 to 3, but even then 1 to 7 are outliers in the "general public."

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #40,327 of 40,566
There is some quality conversation here.

#4 is a sweet spot for many people in the high-end market here on Head-Fi and in my other communities.

I generally encourage most of my brands to remember that most "normal people" are 4 to 7, and 1 to 3 are the outliers.

In this community, the outliers tend to have more prominent voices but shouldn't be considered "average" for what most people can spend.

They are most definitely 1 to 3, but even then 1 to 7 are outliers in the "general public."
To be 100% 7 is Reddit r/Headphones. 1-3 is r/Audiophile. There's a solid mix here, but a lot 2/3 and they are the real MVP's providing all sorts of impressions on a rotating basis so I can be a 4 🤣

My favorite thing on reddit/discord is the 1 day old account, "What's an IEM/Headphone with amazing soundstage, perfect FR, top technicalities, deep subterranean bass, cat ears, RGB, and Bluetooth, all for under $100".

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #40,329 of 40,566
Hello everyone, I'm continuing my hearing experience with the Raven.. it seems to have been refined much more... all the frequencies now seem more balanced, for a long time I found it brilliant at the limits of my standards... now much better... the three-dimensionality and cohesion has also increased considerably, quite surprising with all the daps which I use...if I have to make a note even too much...especially with Cayin N7 and using tips
Dunu S&S tips... it feels like riding a carousel, very fun and at the same time extremely accurate... but you don't always feel like riding a roller coaster. ..obviously it also depends a lot on the songs you listen to..overall I am now much more satisfied than when I received it.. In my gigantic library for testing holography and spatial signals, if I may allow myself a suggestion, the New Divison with the Fader and Copycat songs are truly exceptional...

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #40,330 of 40,566

Generally, I’m number four alongside with you. The only reason I sell is if I have stuff rotting away in my closet. No point in hanging on to something that you hardly use, especially at the prices of some of these items.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #40,331 of 40,566
I like to rotate through gear so I can experience a wide variation. This is mostly due to little to no hifi availability in south Florida.

If I have to take a loss, I factor in that a trip to canjam to demo it would possibly surpass the cost of the loss if I decide the product isn’t for me. Airfare, hotel, food/drink, ticket price and unforeseen expenses usually get up there quickly. This does require sampling less overall items than a trade show but I typically don’t go after that many products through the year.

There’s no wrong way to enjoy the hobby. I just try to limit expenses where I can.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #40,332 of 40,566
Generally, I’m number four alongside with you. The only reason I sell is if I have stuff rotting away in my closet. No point in hanging on to something that you hardly use, especially at the prices of some of these items.
You call it rotting away. I call it cherishing my collection. :) It is not financially smart to have a large collection but listening to an oldie like Odin or Fourte again after several months gives me great joy, like seeing old friends.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #40,333 of 40,566
You call it rotting away. I call it cherishing my collection. :) It is not financially smart to have a large collection but listening to an oldie like Odin or Fourte again after several months gives me great joy, like seeing old friends.
There's multiple ways of looking at it. If I'm not using it much, I'd rather send it off to someone that would put it to good use!

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #40,334 of 40,566
There's multiple ways of looking at it. If I'm not using it much, I'd rather send it off to someone that would put it to good use!
That makes more sense!

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #40,335 of 40,566
I'm looking into another IEM. I'm a huge fan of EE and would like to stay within the brand. I currently have a custom Nemesis, Valkyrie MkI and Bravado.

My goal is to get a slightly more neutral signature with a more controlled bass. I tried the universal ESR at CanJam (And meet Jack for the first time) and that was a bit too try. I do wonder if a custom ESR would do the trick. I'm also considering the Hero.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back