Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #39,001 of 40,724
Ha ha. I am sure we are all in agreement that cable swap should be normal procedure whitch doesn’t put device in risk.
Personally, if I were you, I would do a bunch of cable rolling and if you have no problems, maybe keep it but I would send it back and wait for the new ones but that’s just me.. if there’s no problem, there’s no problem 😉

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #39,002 of 40,724
Raven reminds me Gibson Les Paul. Out of my collection, I know that all my Fender guitars including vintage ones will take fall no problem. LPs and 335s will get head-stoke broken in the same situation. If you want that LP tone , it’s just part of the deal. There are some LPs style guitars out there which won’t have that fragile head stock….. Well none of them has true LP tone or vibe.
Obviously IEM has to be able handle cable swap without issues and sounds like this is getting addressed. As far as shell being fragile , I personally have no problem there. Let’s not forget we are talking about niche boutique luxury toy. I recently got my father custom top tier glasses and those won’t be able to take a fall either.
Please , I’m not trying say that product has to be inferior. My point is that some niche boutique products have very specific attributes to them. Ability to take a fall is not always one of them.

I agree. There’s many items where cost has no correlation to robustness. There’s also things that have a value far beyond the sum of their parts. No excuses if in fact it ends up being flawed design overall. Just highlighting the fact that a $20k Corolla can be beat down but a $500k Ferrari cannot. Just have to understand what you’re buying and for what purpose.

No idea if what you all are discussing is a big issue or not. I also read someone suggesting a thicker shell and they felt the shell was too thin. I am not trying to protect EA, but I will say at CanJam NY the thinner shelled IEM sounded better than the same IEM in a thicker shell due to the bone conduction. Maybe there is a correlation? In time it will all play out.

And let’s not forget that the new design was EE going above and beyond to please the customer base, by redesigning it more akin to the theme. In doing so they not only offered a nice look but squeezed out even more R&D to improve the sound at the same time. That’s why I’m far more restrained in deeming a few bad apples as a complete failure. Knowing Jack though, even with a few failures, he’ll find a way to even make Raven survive Darwinism. So, I’m not even slightly concerned and look forward to getting one.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #39,003 of 40,724
So, I’m not even slightly concerned and look forward to getting one.

You’ve said this like a 100 times already now. So why haven’t you gotten one ?

Don’t say that you have pre-ordered and waiting for delivery. For a die-hard fan like you, they would have shipped the first one manufactured !

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #39,004 of 40,724
I agree. There’s many items where cost has no correlation to robustness. There’s also things that have a value far beyond the sum of their parts. No excuses if in fact it ends up being flawed design overall. Just highlighting the fact that a $20k Corolla can be beat down but a $500k Ferrari cannot. Just have to understand what you’re buying and for what purpose.

And let’s not forget that the new design was EE going above and beyond to please the customer base, by redesigning it more akin to the theme. In doing so they not only offered a nice look but squeezed out even more R&D to improve the sound at the same time. That’s why I’m far more restrained in deeming a few bad apples as a complete failure. Knowing Jack though, even with a few failures, he’ll find a way to even make Raven survive Darwinism. So, I’m not even slightly concerned and look forward to getting one.

I mean, it’s a fact that the pins are tight, and there is guidace about how to take them off.
Has there been a case where it cracked with the suggested wiggling take-off?
If that’s the case than it could raise alarm bells.. it might be due to maybe the cooling/heating that might have taken place during transportation and easing the sockets won’t solve that problem. I don’t think it’s the likely scenario though

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #39,005 of 40,724
it might be due to maybe the cooling/heating that might have taken place during transportation and easing the sockets won’t solve that problem. I don’t think it’s the likely scenario though
No one knows for certain but if this is indeed the case then most probably the Canjam units will be fine but other units might not be.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #39,006 of 40,724
Ha ha. I am sure we are all in agreement that cable swap should be normal procedure whitch doesn’t put device in risk.
Cable swapping is considered a normal procedure by most on this site. It certainly
should not be a daily occurrence, but it is necessary from time to time for those going for every last ounce of performance.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #39,008 of 40,724
Cable swapping is considered a normal procedure by most on this site. It certainly
should not be a daily occurrence, but it is necessary from time to time for those going for every last ounce of performance.
Well, let’s throw this scenario out there. You get your Raven love it to death, but don’t risk taking out the cable because the cable is good enough ok a year goes by your cable fails on you You go to remove it, and it shatters.. :frowning2: I highly suggest doing cable rolling in the beginning just to get it out-of-the-way while you’re still in a window

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #39,010 of 40,724
I mean, it’s a fact that the pins are tight, and there is guidace about how to take them off.
Has there been a case where it cracked with the suggested wiggling take-off?
If that’s the case than it could raise alarm bells.. it might be due to maybe the cooling/heating that might have taken place during transportation and easing the sockets won’t solve that problem. I don’t think it’s the likely scenario though
Oh yea they definitely are tight. I have no idea about broken units other than the few posts I’ve seen. One of which has the wires severed which is evidence they pulled pretty hard.

I don’t know enough about thermal engineering so I’d just be talking out of my butt. Id say the alarm bells are raised though. There’s going to have to be clear, evident support that shows this isn’t a common concern before people proceed with confidence.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #39,011 of 40,724
Oh yea they definitely are tight. I have no idea about broken units other than the few posts I’ve seen. One of which has the wires severed which is evidence they pulled pretty hard.

I don’t know enough about thermal engineering so I’d just be talking out of my butt. Id say the alarm bells are raised though. There’s going to have to be clear, evident support that shows this isn’t a common concern before people proceed with confidence.
I’m telling you dude that thing broke with barely any pressure pulling it.. it was scary and as for the guy that severed the wires, do not put that on him come on now… there is no defending this issue until we get our new units and do testing

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #39,012 of 40,724
I’m telling you dude that thing broke with barely any pressure pulling it.. it was scary and as for the guy that severed the wires, do not put that on him come on now… there is no defending this issue until we get our new units and do testing
I’m not defending the issue. I know some of these broke too easy as I have no reason to doubt anyone’s reports. I’m just saying, pulling hard enough to sever wires when it broke shows how tight the sockets are.

If you read the context of my reply to @haci, it was in regards to sockets being tight and questioning as to having units break using the wiggle technique. I literally replied that I did not know from the few I’ve seen. I singled one out because it’s obvious he didn’t wiggle it out if the wires severed when the unit failed. I’m not saying he violently yanked it and caused it. I’m saying he didn’t wiggle it out or the failure would’ve been less severe if so.

Don’t fall into the trap others set on here because I like EE. I’m a very logical and honest person first and foremost.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #39,014 of 40,724
I’m not defending the issue. I know some of these broke too easy as I have no reason to doubt anyone’s reports. I’m just saying, pulling hard enough to sever wires when it broke shows how tight the sockets are.

If you read the context of my reply to @haci, it was in regards to sockets being tight and questioning as to having units break using the wiggle technique. I literally replied that I did not know from the few I’ve seen. I singled one out because it’s obvious he didn’t wiggle it out if the wires severed when the unit failed. I’m not saying he violently yanked it and caused it. I’m saying he didn’t wiggle it out or the failure would’ve been less severe if so.

Don’t fall into the trap others set on here because I like EE. I’m a very logical and honest person first and foremost.
You’re good ! I was talking a similar way you are about this until it happened in my own hands 😅 really changes your perspective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back