Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 30, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #38,973 of 40,724
I’d say a recall is needed to rebuild client trust and restore resale value.

PS: Recall and reshelling with a revised shell. The widening won’t change the challenge to longevity.
If they do this, I will place my order again for Raven.
Anyways let's wait and see what the Standard Edition users have to say when they get theirs in hand which I feel will be soon.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #38,974 of 40,724
Apologies to everyone for squirreling the EE thread for a moment:

This thread always seems to bring out the best in people, just like so many other threads. I just laugh after so many years in this hobby and seeing this with all brands.

Cayin has a 5K Anniversary DAP and have had a poor launch with some units having issues. Folks trying to find cables and IEMs that don't hiss to adapt to their purchase, rather than worrying that the DAP shouldn't do that. After shelling out 5K the folks making excuses for the unit and validating their purchase, it's human nature.

That said, Cayin jumped on it admitted the hiss and is trying to make it right.
I see the same here, Jack said what is happening and has offered to make it right.

I can understand that, it is same way I feel about a 5K DAP, which I refuse to find cables and IEMs that match my 5K device. I would love to hear it, just not worth the hassle.

Beautiful thing about free markets no one forces us to buy anything :thumbsup: It is a relatively large purchase even in today's market.

Whether you decide to purchase a N30LE or not, it would be helpful for the community to understand that owners or potential owners DO NOT need to find cables (not IEMs) to adapt to their N30LE purchase per your sentiment.

And no, owners were not trying to find cables that don't hiss to adapt to their purchase. They were stepping up in assisting and contributing to troubleshooting for current, future owners and Cayin who may experience potential hissing in Class A with certain cables (not IEMs) – necessitating replacement of their N30LE by their dealer for a re-biased unit from Cayin. This should be rectified by re-biased replacements and outstanding units arriving at dealers soo . Should existing owners, secondary, tertiary owners exhibit hissing in the future with a cable, they're covered under the extended warranty up to Sep 2028.

Links to reference:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...th-anniv-limited-edition.969210/post-17746757
Since the release of N30LE, there has been user feedback regarding the "hissing" issue with the 4.4mm balanced output in Class A amplification mode (or Hyper mode) when paired with certain IEM/headphones/cables. After careful research by our engineers and testing with headphone samples provided by our enthusiastic users, we have developed a solution by adjusting the static working current of our discrete amplification circuit in N30LE. We explained our solution last week and have confirmed the solution is working effectively. At the same time, we have completed the related rectification and testing of the N30LE in our inventory.

We, Cayin will offer 5 years extended warranty to N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl combo on hissing problem at Class A amplification and then the warranty period for this phenomenon will expire on September 30, 2028.
Please kindly note in advance the extended coverage will only apply to hissing problem when N30LE operates in Class A amplification mode and Modified or unauthorized repaired N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl will not be entitle to this extended warranty...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...th-anniv-limited-edition.969210/post-17751553
A quick update on our remedial plan.

Cayin sent out 50+ sets of N30LE/N30LE Amber Pearl yesterday (27 Sept) to our international dealers for replacement as well as fulfilling outstanding orders. We have explained our plan in advance, we have worked under a very tight schedule but we are glad to inform the N30LE community that have met the schedule.

These rebiased N30LE/N30LE are now located in Hong Kong pending customs clearance, it might take a few days before these units are onboard the plane. I can't provide any update after today because our Headquarters will break for National Day (8 days) and I can't access to the logistic status until our support team resumes duty.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #38,975 of 40,724
Apologies to everyone for squirreling the EE thread for a moment:

Whether you decide to purchase a N30LE or not, it would be helpful for the community to understand that owners or potential owners do not need to find cables (not IEMs) to adapt to their N30LE purchase per your sentiment.

And no, owners were not trying to find cables that don't hiss to adapt to their purchase. They were stepping up in assisting and contributing to troubleshooting for current, future owners and Cayin who may experience potential hissing in Class A with certain cables (not IEMs) – necessitating replacement of their N30LE by their dealer for a re-biased unit from Cayin. This should be rectified by re-biased replacement and outstanding units arriving at dealers. Should existing owners, secondary, tertiary owners exhibit hissing in the future with a cable, they're covered under the extended warranty up to Sep 2028.

Links to reference:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...th-anniv-limited-edition.969210/post-17746757

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...th-anniv-limited-edition.969210/post-17751553
Oh sorry....I wasn't ridiculing you or trying to make you feel bad about your 5K purchase, I wish you the best. I am saying it was a far from a stellar release, yes I followed the thread as it was a consideration for me. Release hiccoughs happen, it happened there and it is happening here. I didn't feel the need to respond on the Cayin thread more because I don't plan on getting it new(sold out even if I wanted too), or used unless they figure out their hiss and noise and I know it has been re-biased. Also, I am not a fan of their UI but that is subjective, but if it sounds that good in the future, I may get one on the used market if it functions as a 5K purchase.

I do agree that the comments on the Cayin forum were helping, as everyone was scrambling to find what combos eliminated hissing etc, Class A, Hyper Mode, 3.5mm or 4.4mm, what units serial numbers and so on. The same thing that is happening here, wiggling, twisting, no cable rolling, cable rolling, temperature and arranging replacements etc...

You are coming here late in the game. In a previous post I was touting Cayin for coming to the plate with their customer service and attempting to make up for a lackluster release. Also, your links to the thread you provided are after Cayin came to the rescue, it was prior to that where everyone was scrambling to find cables and IEMs that didn't hiss, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day I don't have the desire to say gotcha, such as you did here. You obviously have some skin in the Cayin game or you wouldn't have felt the need to seek this out and come to the EE thread to comment or justify, because those in this thread knew I gave Cayin props and said EE will also make things right.

The reason I am here watching is because regardless what happens I am going to buy the Raven. If it breaks I am covered, so while it is a hassle it is a limited risk and I am in the market for a TOTL IEM much more so than another DAP. Geesh just enjoy your purchase....

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #38,976 of 40,724
🍿🍿🍿
Always wonderful watching grown ups acting like children.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #38,978 of 40,724
Oh sorry....I wasn't ridiculing you or trying to make you feel bad about your 5K purchase, I wish you the best. I am saying it was a far from a stellar release, yes I followed the thread as it was a consideration for me. Release hiccoughs happen, it happened there and it is happening here. I didn't feel the need to respond on the Cayin thread more because I don't plan on getting it new(sold out even if I wanted too), or used unless they figure out their hiss and noise and I know it has been re-biased. Also, I am not a fan of their UI but that is subjective, but if it sounds that good in the future, I may get one on the used market if it functions as a 5K purchase.

I do agree that the comments on the Cayin forum were helping, as everyone was scrambling to find what combos eliminated hissing etc, Class A, Hyper Mode, 3.5mm or 4.4mm, what units serial numbers and so on. The same thing that is happening here, wiggling, twisting, no cable rolling, cable rolling, temperature and arranging replacements etc...

You are coming here late in the game. In a previous post I was touting Cayin for coming to the plate with their customer service and attempting to make up for a lackluster release. Also, your links to the thread you provided are after Cayin came to the rescue, it was prior to that where everyone was scrambling to find cables and IEMs that didn't hiss, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day I don't have the desire to say gotcha, such as you did here. You obviously have some skin in the Cayin game or you wouldn't have felt the need to seek this out and come to the EE thread to comment or justify, because those in this thread knew I gave Cayin props and said EE will also make things right.

The reason I am here watching is because regardless what happens I am going to buy the Raven. If it breaks I am covered, so while it is a hassle it is a limited risk and I am in the market for a TOTL IEM much more so than another DAP. Geesh just enjoy your purchase....

Thanks for your uppish reply. As much as you presume otherwise, I do have skin in the game as I’ve been considering Raven for since Jack teased it back around CanJam SG.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...ssions-formerly-earwerkz.786335/post-17515955
Getting ready for "Raven" and inspiration for next ink

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #38,979 of 40,724
Thanks for your uppish reply. As much as you presume otherwise, I do have skin in the game as I’ve been considering Raven for since Jack teased it back around CanJam SG.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...ssions-formerly-earwerkz.786335/post-17515955
Same. You know, I have to say I’m much happier with Cayin’s handling of the N30LE situation than EE’s handling of these fragile Ravens. Releasing a video basically saying you have to baby the product or it’ll break is quite ridiculous. It’s akin to if Cayin /had/ told us to simply buy the right cables or the N30LE would hiss.

Completely unacceptable from a company making $3k+ products, IMO.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #38,980 of 40,724
Same. You know, I have to say I’m much happier with Cayin’s handling of the N30LE situation than EE’s handling of these fragile Ravens. Releasing a video basically saying you have to baby the product or it’ll break is quite ridiculous. It’s akin to if Cayin /had/ told us to simply buy the right cables or the N30LE would hiss.

Completely unacceptable from a company making $3k+ products, IMO.
I agree Cayin did a decent recovery. Since I don't manufacture audiophile gear I have zero idea if it is feasible to offer 5 years on an IEM. I really have no idea what is an acceptable warranty. Aside from review units, which I can't sell, I haven't kept an IEM for 5 years, so I don't know. I do know of two folks here that have had EE IEMs for that long @olddude and @proedros . Time will tell.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #38,981 of 40,724
I just find it lame that people feel the need to come to this thread and try and crap on people who enjoy the brand and people behind it. Doesn’t make them right or wrong, it’s just a preference. There’s zero need for people to take it personally. Especially to the point that they feel the need to insult others or insinuate something insidious over it.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #38,982 of 40,724
I just find it lame that people feel the need to come to this thread and try and crap on people who enjoy the brand and people behind it. Doesn’t make them right or wrong, it’s just a preference. There’s zero need for people to take it personally. Especially to the point that they feel the need to insult others or insinuate something insidious over it.
Ahh... It isnt everyone just the expected few. It is a dog whistle for them

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #38,983 of 40,724
I agree Cayin did a decent recovery. Since I don't manufacture audiophile gear I have zero idea if it is feasible to offer 5 years on an IEM. I really have no idea what is an acceptable warranty. Aside from review units, which I can't sell, I haven't kept an IEM for 5 years, so I don't know. I do know of two folks here that have had EE IEMs for that long @olddude and @proedros . Time will tell.
I think the Zeus came out in 2016 and I bought mine within the first year. So, 6-7 years. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back