Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #38,956 of 40,724
I never said that but yes I do feel like many of the dealers and reviewers of EE (Rabbit holes and others) have been advertising a bit too much about EE’s service in this forum. If a €4k IEM breaks due to manufacturing defect, of course it has to be replaced/refunded by law. This is called warranty, thank God such a thing exists !

All I’m trying to say to “consumers” who spend so much money on an IEM is to be aware of the issues. It’s not a pleasant dealing to be returning an IEM often for repairs/replacement.

For instance, you are located in the Swiss. We discussed about Raven over emails before the pre-orders started and you almost convinced me to buy one. If I had bought one from you and it broke, sending it back to you for replacement is not easy. I have to do some paperwork for the customs to make sure they don’t charge duties while returning it, international shipping from Germany etc. (which of course you will cover) but isn’t this a hassle ? While you send me a replacement overseas, this is also not so straightforward. Imagine this happening more than once even.

I’m also quite certain that not all 400 units have been sold already because there are plenty available in stock at dealers and there are people still waiting for their pre-ordered launch edition.
Not once did I say I wouldn't be worried or concerned about this breakage. At one point @CL14715 was known as the shill king, but you turned your barrel my direction. Service is super important, return policies and otherwise for folks out side of Germany. I have said, if it breaks they will take care of it. Nothing hyping, only fact. @TomKorn said he will take care of it, if you choose some time in the future to purchase it, it will be taken care of if it breaks. It is an inconvenience no one is debating that, that is why you personally have to weigh whether it is worth it to you or not, at this point.

Your comments are directed towards me was because I was curious why if this thread gives you so much angst, you continue to frequent it. It was my understanding that you canceled your pre-order?

I remember in 2022 there was a major recall spanning 6 years and I think close to 300,000 vehicles with Mercedes brakes, as good as German engineering is, it happens. If customer service isn't up to par it is not good for the consumer or the brand. That is why I say EE customer service is good and is important.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #38,957 of 40,724
I understand the passion about our common hobby. I'm an audiophile myself with heart and soul and I tend to get passionate about those things as well. (In the end I'm just a human being 😉) Music is all about emotions after all.

It's wonderful that there is a place like head-fi.org where like-minded people come together to discuss and share experiences.

At times this forum is like a rollercoaster of emotions with high amplitudes.

What I would like to see more though is people at times taking a step back and try not to personally attack each other. It's hard sometimes not to lash out but in the end I believe we all want the same thing here.
(I include myself here of course!) 🙏

It's great that people report their individual experiences with products and manufacturers no matter if good or bad! This always helps others as long as things stay reasonably constructive.

When I learned anything in the few years that I've been on the dealer side, it's that in general, audiophiles are passionate and sensitive people that love nothing more than discussing their hobby with others. (Aside from morning to music of course) And I think that's just wonderful.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #38,958 of 40,724
I’ve had my Raven just over a day and already returned them. Four big issues for me 1) brittle harsh sound, a little too sharp 2) too large. I haven’t had a problem with many IEMs, but they are HUGE and protrude out of my ears like mini headphones. I like to lay down at times and listen to music, it’s impossible with these monsters. 3) distortion at higher listening levels with my SP3K 4) Cheap build quality. The shells are razor thin and I can see why so many folks have cracked theirs. I’m sure many are enjoying the Raven, but theses aren’t for me. (QUICK EDIT ON QUALITY: my Odin shell had to be remade because it cracked when I pulled the 2pin cable out, so upon inspecting the Raven I can see how thin the shell is. I don’t want the hassle of going through this again)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #38,959 of 40,724
I’ve had my Raven just over a day and already returned them. Four big issues for me 1) brittle harsh sound, a little too sharp 2) too large. I haven’t had a problem with many IEMs, but they are HUGE and protrude out of my ears like mini headphones. I like to lay down at times and listen to music, it’s impossible with these monsters. 3) distortion at higher listening levels with my SP3K 4) Cheap build quality. The shells are razor thin and I can see why so many folks have cracked theirs. I’m sure many are enjoying the Raven, but theses aren’t for me. (QUICK EDIT ON QUALITY: my Odin shell had to be remade because it cracked when I pulled the 2pin cable out, so upon inspecting the Raven I can see how thin the shell is. I don’t want the hassle of going through this again)
Ooff ! What Iem are you goin for now ??

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #38,960 of 40,724
Ooff ! What Iem are you goin for now ??

Not sure, I have the N30 LE Cayin DAP on the way so maybe I will see how that changes tonality for what I already have. I’ve got a great lineup, increasingly I’m getting disappointed in flagships so I may keep my powder dry for awhile. My RN6 CIEM and Ronin Prestige + are getting most of my listening time these days. They are both beyond what I would have considered achievable so I’m pretty happy with them. Im going to switch gears and explore DAPs and cables. My Cayin C9 is for sale in classifieds. It’s amazing

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #38,961 of 40,724
Not sure, I have the N30 LE Cayin DAP on the way so maybe I will see how that changes tonality for what I already have. I’ve got a great lineup, increasingly I’m getting disappointed in flagships so I may keep my powder dry for awhile. My RN6 CIEM and Ronin Prestige + are getting most of my listening time these days. They are both beyond what I would have considered achievable so I’m pretty happy with them. Im going to switch gears and explore DAPs and cables. My Cayin C9 is for sale in classifieds. It’s amazing
Well those two should keep you comfortable for a very long time tbh lol perhaps try the new Oriolus 4dd

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #38,962 of 40,724
I do respect that dealers try their best and also EE taking over costs. But as often said, I wouldn’t expect anything less with an IEM costing 4K.

But as a customer, this purchase is still a Desaster. I will never feel 100% confident that the shell has the longevity I’d expect (again; this word comes up due to the price). Resale value got erased immediately as well- I am pretty sure folks would have a hard time selling.

I’d say a recall is needed to rebuild client trust and restore resale value.

PS: Recall and reshelling with a revised shell. The widening won’t change the challenge to longevity.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #38,963 of 40,724
Couldn’t disagree more regarding the sound, especially if you’re coming from the likes of Odin and RN6. I didn’t hear any brittleness or sharpness from them. The size bit was pretty much a no brainer, you didn’t need them in your possession to realise these aren’t IEMs you’re going to be able to sleep in 😂 I found them pretty comfortable despite their size but everyone is likely to have different experiences here.

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #38,964 of 40,724
Couldn’t disagree more regarding the sound, especially if you’re coming from the likes of Odin and RN6. I didn’t hear any brittleness or sharpness from them. The size bit was pretty much a no brainer, you didn’t need them in your possession to realise these aren’t IEMs you’re going to be able to sleep in 😂 I found them pretty comfortable despite their size but everyone is likely to have different experiences here.
We all hear things differently and we experience things differently. For me (not anyone else) these were wildly disappointing. I’m sure for many they are excellent. I wasn’t impressed with Odin either FYI, I thought these would be better

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #38,965 of 40,724
We all hear things differently and we experience things differently. For me (not anyone else) these were wildly disappointing. I’m sure for many they are excellent. I wasn’t impressed with Odin either FYI, I thought these would be better
Ahh vice versa for me with the RN6 and Ronnin, much preferred XE6 and Kublai Khan. Each to their own!

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #38,966 of 40,724
That explains a lot because Raven is pretty much an Odin with bone conducting bass boost lol

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #38,967 of 40,724
Ahh vice versa for me with the RN6 and Ronnin, much preferred XE6 and Kublai Khan. Each to their own!
Kublai Khan is a fun IEM. Good layering on soundstage.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #38,968 of 40,724
What tips you are using? I use currently CP155.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back