Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #38,926 of 40,713
Ugh. I wish I had seen this thread before just now.I received my brand new Ravens last night and promptly destroyed them before I ever listened to them.

I tried to remove the OEM cables to replace them with Moon Audio Silver Dragons. When I tugged a bit at the connector - and not very hard - the shell cracked in my hand, severing the wire connections between the cable and the internals of the IEM!

I have 3 other pairs of EE IEMs, and I have switched out cables on them (and other IEMs) many times with no problems. I don’t know what went wrong here but just in case this was a problem caused by the design of the Raven (as opposed to my own mistake) if you switch out the cable BE VERY CAREFUL.
@TomKorn I suppose this rules out any possibility of it being an “exception” and is clearly a flaw in manufacturing.

I really hope EE will rectify this in the future Ravens. My LE pre-order was finally cancelled. I will wait for future batches and then may be buy it if it’s safe enough.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #38,927 of 40,713
@TomKorn I suppose this rules out any possibility of it being an “exception” and is clearly a flaw in manufacturing.

I really hope EE will rectify this in the future Ravens. My LE pre-order was finally cancelled. I will wait for future batches and then may be buy it if it’s safe enough.
Ya, I’m glad I swapped my Raven order over to MM when they kept pushing deliveries back. MM has been great, and with a little EQ the bass is actually better than either Evo or Odyseey. Plus it’s much smaller and available as a custom unit

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #38,928 of 40,713
Ugh. I wish I had seen this thread before just now.I received my brand new Ravens last night and promptly destroyed them before I ever listened to them.

I tried to remove the OEM cables to replace them with Moon Audio Silver Dragons. When I tugged a bit at the connector - and not very hard - the shell cracked in my hand, severing the wire connections between the cable and the internals of the IEM!

I have 3 other pairs of EE IEMs, and I have switched out cables on them (and other IEMs) many times with no problems. I don’t know what went wrong here but just in case this was a problem caused by the design of the Raven (as opposed to my own mistake) if you switch out the cable BE VERY CAREFUL.

There is at least 3 pages worth of discussion about this issue. The tl;dr is to contact your dealer to swap it out ASAP. It's unfortunate this happened, but I am happy to say that my replacement unit is much better. No issues so far with swapping the cable.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #38,929 of 40,713
I guess I'll have to wait how this thing will unfold with Raven. This will make two new product I was really looking up to, both have worrying issues at launch, N30LE and now Raven? I can't believe it!

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #38,930 of 40,713

We're still at 3 (reported) out of 400 which is under 1%. I don't think its a manufacturing issue. More so than having the socket held in place with just the shell, even if you don't break it at the first or over period of time its just more prone to it just happens to take force in the right vector.

Think Mace Windu and his shatterpoint technique.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #38,931 of 40,713
I get the statistics and I also appreciate EE’s assurance. That said, 3 within a short space of time is a concern for me. I’ve decided to hold off and cancel my pre-order pending further developments.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #38,932 of 40,713
I get the statistics and I also appreciate EE’s assurance. That said, 3 within a short space of time is a concern for me. I’ve decided to hold off and cancel my pre-order pending further developments.
Probably the right move tbh it sounds incredible but…..

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #38,935 of 40,713
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #38,937 of 40,713
Interested to see the outcome of SoCal. If he has demo units out there getting abused without issue that’ll more than likely indicate some faulty units went out in the first shipment.
if my hypothesis is correct that the IEM is susceptible to cracking after exposure to the cold however, it’s unlikely that they will see failure during canjam.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #38,938 of 40,713
Probably the right move tbh it sounds incredible but…..
And I’m quite a risk taker, and not a prudent one at that… I’ve done plenty of blind buys but this is out of my comfort zone. But if future developments are promising, I will re-consider getting one…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back