Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #37,081 of 40,731
EE ODYSSEY is...

- Combination of physical vibration and air conduction, stereoscopic and
holographic sound
- natural, delicate mid/high and grand scale low
- Stock cables (aresII) should be thrown out
Cable matching is key
- Spin Fit CP155 Best Fit
- source
N8ii+Old time/Kobo428+Satin Perseus Cable (Perseus cable good Match!!)

20221125_151127.jpg
20221111_105740.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #37,082 of 40,731
So a quick note on receiving the Bravado Mkii yesterday. My initial impression was disappointment, though I think I had unrealistic expectations. I was thinking it would be closer to the Z1r as far as SQ, but it isn't. I would say it is actually fairly similar to the Moondrop Variations, which I just sold to fund the purchase of the Bravado! There's some irony for you. Thus far, I prefer my Xenns Up to the Bmkii, but I will do some more comparing.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #37,083 of 40,731
So a quick note on receiving the Bravado Mkii yesterday. My initial impression was disappointment, though I think I had unrealistic expectations. I was thinking it would be closer to the Z1r as far as SQ, but it isn't. I would say it is actually fairly similar to the Moondrop Variations, which I just sold to fund the purchase of the Bravado! There's some irony for you. Thus far, I prefer my Xenns Up to the Bmkii, but I will do some more comparing.
Well, if you decide you want the next version up and want to spring for the legend evo, my set's still available. I've had mixed impressions using them. This is my first EE set. I think the sound quality is superb. The bone conduction w9 driver definitely works, and I can't imagine anyone using the Odyssey will be disappointed (I can literally feel the bass in my toes on some tracks). The tuning is definitely dark, and I don't know if that's something that extends to all of EEs stuff. If anything, I've learned more about myself owning them. After reading countless reviews and impressions, I thought I preferred a dark tuning, but the truth is I like extra sparkle on the high ends. Live and learn, right?

I'm also not understanding people's complaints about the cable here. Maybe I'm missing something, but, audible differences or not aside, at least from photos as I understood it the Odyssey cable is very similar in terms of weight and build to the one that came with the Legend Evo. Now, granted, I don't own any 1k+ cables--my most expensive cable purchase has been a Dunu Hulk Pro that's still in eternal transit from China--but speaking with fresh eyes (and ears), I was personally very impressed with the legend evo stock cable. The wire's heavy enough gauge at 26awg (the Hulk Pro comes in at a whopping 24awg, and I can't envision going heavier than that), and that pentaconn connector at the end is chonky. It feels sturdy, I'm not worried about breaking it, and microphonics for me seem nonexistent. Add in that the Odyssey comes pre-terminated with a 4.4mm and a 3.5 adapter and I don't really find myself wanting. Is the Odyssey cable that much worse than the legend evo one, or do people simply have much higher expectations than me for cable quality?

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #37,084 of 40,731
M17 is a gooooood DAP. Build like a tank. Only "downside" Roon samples down, because of the limitation of Android. Not sure what your sources are...ripped cd? tidal stream?
Oh and the M17 gets warm...but other than that, it's a very nice DAP, just a little big :D
I mainly use Apple Music and also files from Qobuz :jecklinsmile:

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #37,085 of 40,731
Well, if you decide you want the next version up and want to spring for the legend evo, my set's still available. I've had mixed impressions using them. This is my first EE set. I think the sound quality is superb. The bone conduction w9 driver definitely works, and I can't imagine anyone using the Odyssey will be disappointed (I can literally feel the bass in my toes on some tracks). The tuning is definitely dark, and I don't know if that's something that extends to all of EEs stuff. If anything, I've learned more about myself owning them. After reading countless reviews and impressions, I thought I preferred a dark tuning, but the truth is I like extra sparkle on the high ends. Live and learn, right?

I'm also not understanding people's complaints about the cable here. Maybe I'm missing something, but, audible differences or not aside, at least from photos as I understood it the Odyssey cable is very similar in terms of weight and build to the one that came with the Legend Evo. Now, granted, I don't own any 1k+ cables--my most expensive cable purchase has been a Dunu Hulk Pro that's still in eternal transit from China--but speaking with fresh eyes (and ears), I was personally very impressed with the legend evo stock cable. The wire's heavy enough gauge at 26awg (the Hulk Pro comes in at a whopping 24awg, and I can't envision going heavier than that), and that pentaconn connector at the end is chonky. It feels sturdy, I'm not worried about breaking it, and microphonics for me seem nonexistent. Add in that the Odyssey comes pre-terminated with a 4.4mm and a 3.5 adapter and I don't really find myself wanting. Is the Odyssey cable that much worse than the legend evo one, or do people simply have much higher expectations than me for cable quality?
The Ares II cable really didn’t do the LX (or any other IEM I tried it with for that matter) any favours and I think quite a few people feel the same hence the disdain towards it. I didn’t keep the stock EVO cable to do a back and forth with but the Genesis cable didn’t do much for the treble extension of EVO from my testing and it made the midrange very diffused.

If you are looking for a brighter tuning in the EE range you should really look at Odin, quite a bit brighter than EVO. There’s also Hero but it’s a bit less versatile and refined than Odin but similarly brightly tuned

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #37,088 of 40,731
The Ares II cable really didn’t do the LX (or any other IEM I tried it with for that matter) any favours and I think quite a few people feel the same hence the disdain towards it. I didn’t keep the stock EVO cable to do a back and forth with but the Genesis cable didn’t do much for the treble extension of EVO from my testing and it made the midrange very diffused.

If you are looking for a brighter tuning in the EE range you should really look at Odin, quite a bit brighter than EVO. There’s also Hero but it’s a bit less versatile and refined than Odin but similarly brightly tuned
My thing is, I really adore the bone conduction bass driver in the evos, but with everything I hear about the Odyssey being sort of an Odin mkii, with the bone conduction driver, I'm sort of thinking the Odyssey will likely be my endgame, whenever I can save up the funds for it. There's nothing wrong with the evos, I'm just realizing I like brighter tuning. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm certainly impressed with the EE build quality. If the issue with the stock cable is sound that's subjective but fair (not trying to get into a debate over cable sound quality), I'm just not finding myself wanting in terms of build quality, aesthetics, etc., but maybe my standards are much lower than everyone else's.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #37,089 of 40,731
My thing is, I really adore the bone conduction bass driver in the evos, but with everything I hear about the Odyssey being sort of an Odin mkii, with the bone conduction driver, I'm sort of thinking the Odyssey will likely be my endgame, whenever I can save up the funds for it. There's nothing wrong with the evos, I'm just realizing I like brighter tuning. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm certainly impressed with the EE build quality. If the issue with the stock cable is sound that's subjective but fair (not trying to get into a debate over cable sound quality), I'm just not finding myself wanting in terms of build quality, aesthetics, etc., but maybe my standards are much lower than everyone else's.

Odyssey isn't a brighter tuned IEM and most, myself included referenced it to Odin in layman's terms for a quick descriptor of detail retrieval in the treble region and subtraction from the upper mid range. The low end to middle to upper mid range is much wider and akin to a Legend X with better micro-detail and space. The treble is elevated and provides much more detail and range but it is not bright.

The Odin is seen as bright-ish because there is less bass emphasis and much more elevated upper mid range and low treble.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #37,090 of 40,731
Odyssey isn't a brighter tuned IEM and most, myself included referenced it to Odin in layman's terms for a quick descriptor of detail retrieval in the treble region and subtraction from the upper mid range. The low end to middle to upper mid range is much wider and akin to a Legend X with better micro-detail and space. The treble is elevated and provides much more detail and range but it is not bright.

The Odin is seen as bright-ish because there is less bass emphasis and much more elevated upper mid range and low treble.
Would um multiverse mentor be considered a brighter tuned IEM then if I'm after the bone conduction bass but brighter tuning and extended treble?

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #37,091 of 40,731
Would um multiverse mentor be considered a brighter tuned IEM then if I'm after the bone conduction bass but brighter tuning and extended treble?
UM MM sounds thin to me in comparison.

If you want a more extended tuning that would elevate EVO's treble region the Odyssey does so. I don't think you can consider either 'bright' though. Odyssey is emphasized where it should be without fatiguing or sounding thin or too metallic. I personally enjoy the Odyssey a good deal more than UM MM. I'm only one data point though. I also prefer EE's house sound more than other brands minus a few outliers that I enjoy as much, such as the Traillii or U18s. I do prefer Odyssey to these as well though.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #37,093 of 40,731

I don't imagine I can afford them, unless you want to trade for an SMSL Do200/HO200 stack and an Audeze LCD2 bamboo set.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #37,094 of 40,731
In speaking of the Odyssey has it shipped yet for the US? I still have yet to hear anything and I already paid for it….2 months ago.
I just heard back from headphones.com and it sounds like they should receive their shipment either today or tomorrow. Based on this, I’d expect them to start shipping out to customers next week.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #37,095 of 40,731
Hehe yeah. Works well :wink:
Usually sennheiser hd820

From time to time I plug my iems in. But since it’s a desk setup where I work and stuff….hd820

These are cool cans and I know they work quite well with the Pro you own :wink: Enjoy and thanks for your feedback!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back