Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #36,211 of 40,587
I haven’t heard Evo, so won’t weigh in on that. I bought LX universals blind from Musicteck on sale, seeking not just bass impact but also it’s soundstage and detail retrieval. It inherently has an L- shaped tonality but paired with Eletech Socrates it’s more W-shaped. These days I am searching more for a combination of bass texture as well as impact but simultaneously with good soundstage, detail retrieval and extension- LX does that all for me, though I keep seeking how to make it even better. For me, that has taken me down the path of cable-rolling (Cadmus on the way @CrocodileDundee- though I will also try it with U12T!) but also pairing with different DAC/Amps. I hope to get to a CanJam soon so I can listen to more stuff - but for now my aim is to optimize what I have.

You can try the Stormbreaker with the LX if you come across one. I've been using the LX as my main iem before my current batch of upgrade ever since launch. Pairing it mainly with Horus and I can say even against the TOTL in the current batch, LX still stands tall and plenty competitive

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #36,212 of 40,587
You can try the Stormbreaker with the LX if you come across one. I've been using the LX as my main iem before my current batch of upgrade ever since launch. Pairing it mainly with Horus and I can say even against the TOTL in the current batch, LX still stands tall and plenty competitive
I can second this.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #36,213 of 40,587
Aug 18, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #36,214 of 40,587
Those are nice looks cables

those cable look sweet too, a review I read said they were a little stiff?

Is there any 200-300 dollar cables that are good with the LX?
I don’t find the Socrates particularly stiff and certainly not tangly. It’s true they are not a supple as some- Eletech is working on an 8-wire version for the Fall that may be more so, and probably will have sonic effects in the same direction, ie elevation of mids, increased soundstage width and depth- but probably in the TOTL budget range (I’m guessing $1200). Given that the Effect Audio Signature cables are none of them more than $300 and most reviewers thought they paired well with warmer IEMs (especially Cadmus and Eros S do ) I’ve pretty well decided to go that direction and not sink that much cash into an even-better Socrates.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #36,215 of 40,587
I have the opportunity to blind buy the Evo at a lower price this afternoon. I enjoyed the LX with most genres.

Can someone tell me if Evo works for drum and bass? Which is what I listen to most. I’m worried about the upper mids/lower treble being too hot for drum and bass. I’ve searched the thread and no one specifically mentions drum and bass here.

Any quick observations would be much appreciated.
I thought I’d give Drum & Bass a go. LX is great for this music. I know nothing about the genre and so I googled artists. First one I found was Dillinja and I’ve been listening to this today.

What drum & bass artists/albums would you recommend ?

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #36,216 of 40,587
I thought I’d give Drum & Bass a go. LX is great for this music. I know nothing about the genre and so I googled artists. First one I found was Dillinja and I’ve been listening to this today.

What drum & bass artists/albums would you recommend ?
I'm not sure on Drum & Bass Artist either but I can recommend Clozee She is incredible and it sounds amazing on the LX. Hundreds of pages back in this thread someone recommended Rufus Du Sol Live from Joshua Tree - Talk about an outstanding sounding album, all I can say is "it slaps". The video is great but the Lossless on Apple Music or probably any other streaming service sounds 100% better.

Link for for the Lazy:

Edit: I also want to recommend this performance by Warpaint. It sounds so good.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #36,217 of 40,587
Ahh the LX. My one and only. Made me discover genres I didn’t know existed such as drum & bass with the likes of Rudimental and Pendulum. Also electroswing with Parov Stellar. Never thought I would love jazz ever and there I am with tons of jazz albums now. Even impossible stuff like the latest album from Lizzy McAlpine called five seconds flat. I listen to that between Propagandhi and Trivium and I totally assume it.

Thank you LX.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #36,218 of 40,587
Ahh the LX. My one and only. Made me discover genres I didn’t know existed such as drum & bass with the likes of Rudimental and Pendulum. Also electroswing with Parov Stellar. Never thought I would love jazz ever and there I am with tons of jazz albums now. Even impossible stuff like the latest album from Lizzy McAlpine called five seconds flat. I listen to that between Propagandhi and Trivium and I totally assume it.

Thank you LX.
These are all new to me so thanks @bland125 and @bigjg - great stuff! this is what makes this forum great!

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #36,220 of 40,587
Save your coins boys… just got some great news from EE!
I'm interested but I just my 1st LX and am in love with them. I'll enjoy the news and impressions and live vicariously.
These are all new to me so thanks @bland125 and @bigjg - great stuff! this is what makes this forum great!
Here is another one that is out of this world on LX, I was having eargasms. lol

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #36,221 of 40,587
I'm interested but I just my 1st LX and am in love with them. I'll enjoy the news and impressions and live vicariously.

Here is another one that is out of this world on LX, I was having eargasms. lol

Yea.. this proto that’s about to be announced is a significant upgrade to the LX. That’s coming from someone who puts the LX #1.

Enjoy those LX because they deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back