Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 18, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #36,196 of 40,587
Thanks! I also listen to a lot of house and Anjunadeep... If it doesn’t work for this genre in particular it probably won’t work from drum and bass unless it can take EQ.

How does Evo handle EQ? If Evo relies heavily on that upper mid bump for clarity, a notch in that area may just make everything else sluggish and muddy which is the case for other headphones in my collection.
I don't EQ so unfortunately I can't speak to it, although I believe I've read about a few folks who frequent this thread who have EQ'd the upper mids/lower treble down to address the harshness.
Hopefully those folks can chime in.

Aug 18, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #36,198 of 40,587
“way better than LX” was big statement, it’s better, way better I’m not sure.

I definitely agree with @gnahra on this one.
When I tried the EVO, only the lower end stood out. Everything else just sounded strange and colored. Upped mids too bright. Got out of my ears after just a few songs.

I love, really love the LX. But Evo for me os a downgrade from LX, not an evolution at all.
I haven’t heard Evo, so won’t weigh in on that. I bought LX universals blind from Musicteck on sale, seeking not just bass impact but also it’s soundstage and detail retrieval. It inherently has an L- shaped tonality but paired with Eletech Socrates it’s more W-shaped. These days I am searching more for a combination of bass texture as well as impact but simultaneously with good soundstage, detail retrieval and extension- LX does that all for me, though I keep seeking how to make it even better. For me, that has taken me down the path of cable-rolling (Cadmus on the way @CrocodileDundee- though I will also try it with U12T!) but also pairing with different DAC/Amps. I hope to get to a CanJam soon so I can listen to more stuff - but for now my aim is to optimize what I have.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #36,200 of 40,587
Thanks! I also listen to a lot of house and Anjunadeep... If it doesn’t work for this genre in particular it probably won’t work from drum and bass unless it can take EQ.

How does Evo handle EQ? If Evo relies heavily on that upper mid bump for clarity, a notch in that area may just make everything else sluggish and muddy which is the case for other headphones in my collection.
I'd suggest you reach out to @Damz87 regarding that genre, especially Anjunadeep.

I can speak to the EQ portion as I played around with digital EQ with EVO. No realistic adjustments I made, made anything sluggish in the EVO frequency response range. Any time, depending on where you dip upper mids and how much can impact resolution or make things sound bloated or veiled. I do however believe the EVO bass is so compartmentalized that it really doesn't impact much else in the frequency response range. EVO is very technically sound as far as drivers and components. I believe that is where the clarity is generated, not in a tuning trick.

Upper treble or brilliance is where EVO isn't very pronounced; rather, it is dense and natural without extra shimmer.

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #36,203 of 40,587
I'd suggest you reach out to @Damz87 regarding that genre, especially Anjunadeep.

I can speak to the EQ portion as I played around with digital EQ with EVO. No realistic adjustments I made, made anything sluggish in the EVO frequency response range. Any time, depending on where you dip upper mids and how much can impact resolution or make things sound bloated or veiled. I do however believe the EVO bass is so compartmentalized that it really doesn't impact much else in the frequency response range. EVO is very technically sound as far as drivers and components. I believe that is where the clarity is generated, not in a tuning trick.

Upper treble or brilliance is where EVO isn't very pronounced; rather, it is dense and natural without extra shimmer.
Chris, agreed. The treble is almost too tame, and the upper lift is not to ODIN levels. I think some of this depends on the signature you are accustomed to as well. If you have what many classify as a great IEM, but benign, like the U12, EVO may not be a signature that agrees with you. Without knowing someone's sensitivity issues to upper mids it is really difficult to tell if it would be offensive. ODIN is great, but definitely walked on the edge for me and I don't have the same feel with EVO.

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #36,204 of 40,587
Chris, agreed. The treble is almost too tame, and the upper lift is not to ODIN levels. I think some of this depends on the signature you are accustomed to as well. If you have what many classify as a great IEM, but benign, like the U12, EVO may not be a signature that agrees with you. Without knowing someone's sensitivity issues to upper mids it is really difficult to tell if it would be offensive. ODIN is great, but definitely walked on the edge for me and I don't have the same feel with EVO.
EVO is definitely not in the upper mid arena of Odin.

The U12t is a technically, nearly flawless IEM, besides BA timbre. Like you mentioned though… slightly too benign in presentation for me.

The u18s is a very good monitor but it is a stark contrast from anything EE creates, especially mid wise. The u18s is very thick and musical while retaining good vocal clarity but it’s very tame or relaxed in nearly all ranges. The traillii takes nearly all the negatives about the u18s and ‘fixes’ them. So for half the price I’d consider the u18s very very good value wise.

If I had to pick between u12t, u18s and EVO.. I’d take EVO. I’d take LX over those as well. It’s a technical masterpiece once you give it time and a good cable.

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #36,205 of 40,587
My LX cable got worse with time. I changed it to a @doctorjuggles cable which is very supple.
Those are nice looks cables
Have Eletech Socrates with LX = sublime. Stock cable was Ares II. Socrates was my first foray into higher tier cables, definitely worth a listen.
those cable look sweet too, a review I read said they were a little stiff?

Is there any 200-300 dollar cables that are good with the LX?

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #36,206 of 40,587
EVO is definitely not in the upper mid arena of Odin.

The U12t is a technically, nearly flawless IEM, besides BA timbre. Like you mentioned though… slightly too benign in presentation for me.

The u18s is a very good monitor but it is a stark contrast from anything EE creates, especially mid wise. The u18s is very thick and musical while retaining good vocal clarity but it’s very tame or relaxed in nearly all ranges. The traillii takes nearly all the negatives about the u18s and ‘fixes’ them. So for half the price I’d consider the u18s very very good value wise.

If I had to pick between u12t, u18s and EVO.. I’d take EVO. I’d take LX over those as well. It’s a technical masterpiece once you give it time and a good cable.

That's also if you view BA timbre as a flaw :wink: for those that don't it's the GOAT.

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #36,207 of 40,587
T-Minus 12 days till my custom Odin is wrapped up! Officially going to be the end all, be all endgame for a while (yes, I'm in the industry and I know that doesn't exist) but safe to say I'm very excited.

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #36,209 of 40,587
It’s not a flaw so to speak it just sounds a bit unnatural to me.

That's where I am at too. I understand what you mean!

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #36,210 of 40,587
I haven’t heard Evo, so won’t weigh in on that. I bought LX universals blind from Musicteck on sale, seeking not just bass impact but also it’s soundstage and detail retrieval. It inherently has an L- shaped tonality but paired with Eletech Socrates it’s more W-shaped. These days I am searching more for a combination of bass texture as well as impact but simultaneously with good soundstage, detail retrieval and extension- LX does that all for me, though I keep seeking how to make it even better. For me, that has taken me down the path of cable-rolling (Cadmus on the way @CrocodileDundee- though I will also try it with U12T!) but also pairing with different DAC/Amps. I hope to get to a CanJam soon so I can listen to more stuff - but for now my aim is to optimize what I have.
Nice! Let me know what you think when you get it.

LX for me is the most versatile IEM I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back