Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 2, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #35,417 of 40,565
Hmm haven't really thought about it.

Despite claiming to gravitate towards "all rounders" when demoing, I own a pair of custom Valkyrie mk1 and Zeus so it really doesn't matter as long as I enjoy it right? :p
My point exactly...

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #35,418 of 40,565
Do you prefer one over the other? Or what genre or circumstances do you listen to one vs the other? How is the layering on u18s?
The easiest way to compare them is with a food reference…

Odin is a meal at a very high end restaurant that leaves you mesmerized by all that went into the final product.

U18s is a cheat meal that makes you fat and happy.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #35,419 of 40,565
The easiest way to compare them is with a food reference…

Odin is a meal at a very high end restaurant that leaves you mesmerized by all that went into the final product.

U18s is a cheat meal that makes you fat and happy.
I never heard either, but I can tell the sound from your analogy. Great analogy. Just give me that McDonald’s sound. :)

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #35,420 of 40,565
I never heard either, but I can tell the sound from your analogy. Great analogy. Just give me that McDonald’s sound. :)
Both satisfy you, but get you there a different way.

As far as other things.. Odin fits me better. Odin scales better with sources. Odin responds to cable rolling better. U18s kinda sounds the same within a margin of error when introduced to the aforementioned variables.

If I were to drop that cash on either I would go with Odin for the simple fact that it’s more adaptable. It’s got better bass, clarity and treble detail. Also, scaling is a big issue for future proofing when the improvement of mobile sources is all but inevitable.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #35,421 of 40,565

...every day I'm lovin it?

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #35,422 of 40,565
Sometimes all I need is a Monster and a McDonald's with jalapenos. And the Hero is the spiciest I have. Sure, pianos and some other instruments sound outwright wrong, but I haven't been to a piano fueled party and I don't intend to :)

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #35,423 of 40,565
Adding my 2 cents in for Odin. Its an exceptional IEM. One that was my main reference. However I had a bit of a love and hate relationship with it. It has great clarity, separation and bass. The bass quality is really something else. I sold it the other week because the upper mids made cymbols spike a bit too much. Timbre wise: Female vocals at times also felt harsh and nasally.

It wasn't ideal for genres such as: Metal, Rock, EDM, R&B.

Some of this can probably be solved with source like Chord Mojo 2 (EQ) but I decided to try other IEMs.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #35,424 of 40,565
I never heard the Odin or the U18S and I’m curious of your opinion of the U18S. I have the older custom A12 and like it signature. I never heard the Odin but from what I read it doesn’t sound like it’s for me. I’m still not sure if I’m even keeping the Evo yet.
I had exactly the same feeling for the first month... then the second month the mood was "well, not so bad"... then the third month was "umh... strange, this thing sounds better than I remembered"... then the fourth month was "definitely a keeper"
i.e. : let them play, a LOT

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #35,425 of 40,565
Cable upgrade is also a must IMO.... the genesis cable stifled the treble so much.
ouch... I thought I was the only one hearing that way... maybe it's on purpose, maybe it's me no more hearing the treble so well (I'm over 50), but that Genesis cable for me it's waaaaay too shy on the treble. I've settled on a spc+graphene cable. what are you using if I can ask?

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #35,426 of 40,565
ouch... I thought I was the only one hearing that way... maybe it's on purpose, maybe it's me no more hearing the treble so well (I'm over 50), but that Genesis cable for me it's waaaaay too shy on the treble. I've settled on a spc+graphene cable. what are you using if I can ask?
Yeah it’s really really not great with the treble to my ears unfortunately and becomes quite obvious when cable rolling. I’m still in the early stages of post burn in but so far I’m finding the best pairing is between the plussound copper+, plussound tri-copper or the Pw Loki+. I really think you need a good dollop of copper with EVO else the tonality goes a bit wonky.

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #35,427 of 40,565
I like the tri copper v much with EVO, prob the best amongst a variety of cables that I’ve tried ☺️

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #35,428 of 40,565
Adding my 2 cents in for Odin. Its an exceptional IEM. One that was my main reference. However I had a bit of a love and hate relationship with it. It has great clarity, separation and bass. The bass quality is really something else. I sold it the other week because the upper mids made cymbols spike a bit too much. Timbre wise: Female vocals at times also felt harsh and nasally.

It wasn't ideal for genres such as: Metal, Rock, EDM, R&B.

Some of this can probably be solved with source like Chord Mojo 2 (EQ) but I decided to try other IEMs.
Take out the Stormbreaker and bundle a Mojo 2. haha. I am a Mojo 2 UHD DSP fan.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #35,429 of 40,565
I like the tri copper v much with EVO, prob the best amongst a variety of cables that I’ve tried ☺️
After trying tri-copper again after burn in I very much agree with you. I received the copper+ yesterday and that is also very good with EVO… a very smooth cable with great detail retrieval and soundstage width.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #35,430 of 40,565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back