Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #34,651 of 40,613
You may be right, but the pattern goes on and doubt the end of line is with Phonix or EXT. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I don't think Phonix has been in hands for months, and weeks plural would be more than one week so technically you are correct.

It was the same with Elysian X and every TOTL out, once the first one sold, others followed. Whether 4 hours or 4 weeks. Best thing since sliced bread, shill shill, climb aboard, then watch the mass Exodus. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

The lemmings club hasn't failed to amuse me or let me down yet.
Of course the pattern will go on. That’s the nature of the hobby. The original point was around when, and not if, and to compare the Evo with the EXT/Phonix. So, relative and not absolute.
Right?

I’m personally surprised at how many Evo’s I’ve seen on the classfieds. Solid IEM, just has some serious flaws in my humble opinion. But, no IEM is perfect.

Having said that, nothing like a proper patronizing post…can’t say I’m surprised.

Ho Ho ho!

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #34,652 of 40,613
Lemmings mass suiciding by jumping off cliffs is actually a myth though. Guess we do have something to cheer for this Christmas!! Live on you little cute rodents

1640395203172.png

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #34,653 of 40,613
What EVO does well, it does really well. But it has its flaws, and the sound can be quite jarring to me at times. I find it challenging to pair it with a cable to a point where every song is “smooth”, but my preferred music genres aren’t the easiest in that context. I think LX surpasses EVO. If there wasn’t LX and/or EVO, EXT is my all favourite IEM 🙃

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #34,654 of 40,613
Bit too much being made of this I think? It's the nature of the hobby. Half of the fun is enjoying music, the other half is in the hunt for new gear and everything that comes with making a new purchase.

Personally, I have to blind buy everything. I have no way of auditioning before purchasing. You can read reviews from people you can relate to, look at graphs and so on but if you want to try you have to jump in. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes the IEMs end up in the classifieds quickly.

While I'd love to have a collection of IEMs, I can neither afford to do that or have the time to enjoy all of them so it would be a crime for me to have too many and they end up in a drawer not being used. I'd much prefer someone else to get enjoyment from them.

If something comes along that keeps my interest and the others aren't being used then it is time to move them on and that funds new purchases. Feck all to do with following a crowd in regards to selling them. Probably am guilty of following a crowd when buying but that has yielded many great returns so I'm don't see it as a bad thing. Through 20 plus years of buying and selling, often quickly, I have had a fantastic time listening to great music and sourcing new gear. Can't wait to see what comes next :)

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #34,655 of 40,613
Of course the pattern will go on. That’s the nature of the hobby. The original point was around when, and not if, and to compare the Evo with the EXT/Phonix. So, relative and not absolute.
Right?

I’m personally surprised at how many Evo’s I’ve seen on the classfieds. Solid IEM, just has some serious flaws in my humble opinion. But, no IEM is perfect.

Having said that, nothing like a proper patronizing post…can’t say I’m surprised.

Ho Ho ho!
Actually, my original post was a response to your friend Chris and EVO wasn't part of his equation. He was inquiring about EXT and Phonix.

Not to be patronizing, although that is my middle name, but you brought up EVO. Everyone is aware you owned it and sold it within 4 hours.

EVO is no different than any of the other IEMs, not for everyone. So it isn't really surprising that there have been some on classifieds. The amount on the classifieds could be relative to the volume sold. I would make a bold assumption that EVO sold more than Elysian X.

Feliz Navidad

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #34,656 of 40,613
Lemmings mass suiciding by jumping off cliffs is actually a myth though. Guess we do have something to cheer for this Christmas!! Live on you little cute rodents

1640395203172.png
Long live the lemmings, whether in nature or Head-Fi

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #34,658 of 40,613
The point was…

The flavor of the month is real. I wonder at this point if we all circle back to some previous releases, if we will surprise ourselves with what we let go for the fear of missing out.
Yeah I think my big regrets would be letting Traillii go and I did enjoy the OG Erlkonig. I also really did enjoy the Stellia.

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #34,659 of 40,613
What EVO does well, it does really well. But it has its flaws, and the sound can be quite jarring to me at times. I find it challenging to pair it with a cable to a point where every song is “smooth”, but my preferred music genres aren’t the easiest in that context. I think LX surpasses EVO. If there wasn’t LX and/or EVO, EXT is my all favourite IEM 🙃
Agreed with jarring.
I actually re-visited the LX and am happy I did...definitely more to my liking than Evo.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #34,660 of 40,613
Actually, my original post was a response to your friend Chris and EVO wasn't part of his equation. He was inquiring about EXT and Phonix.

Not to be patronizing, although that is my middle name, but you brought up EVO. Everyone is aware you owned it and sold it within 4 hours.

EVO is no different than any of the other IEMs, not for everyone. So it isn't really surprising that there have been some on classifieds. The amount on the classifieds could be relative to the volume sold. I would make a bold assumption that EVO sold more than Elysian X.

Feliz Navidad
I just got an EVO. Recently got to audition it alongside the Odin. I was blown away by the EVO, so bought it promptly. Might also get the Odin, need to test it a little more, lol.

Numbers on the second hand market aren’t a testimony to its performance, necessarily.

Recently, a number of LCD5s have also been on sale. I quite like mine and think it’s up there but slightly behind the Sus and TC.

The number of Susvaras I have seen in the last two months on the secondary market was also rather high compared to the TC. But I can tell you that a lot of people on the Sus thread and on HeadFi’s Facebook group prefer the Sus to the TC.

And just anecdotally, don’t have hard data, but recent positive reviews on YTube of the Sus likely means Sus sales have shot up in the last few months.

Ultimately, without knowing sales volume, numbers cropping up in the secondary market is not a barometer of how much you will like an IEM.

I also think the EVO is an all-round and noticeable improvement to the LX. But of course YMMV. I know someone who prefers the HE6 to the Susvara, so anything is possible. Subjectivity keeps life interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #34,661 of 40,613
I just got an EVO. Recently got to audition it alongside the Odin. I was blown away by the EVO, so bought it promptly. Might also get the Odin, need to test it a little more, lol.

Numbers on the second hand market aren’t a testimony to its performance, necessarily.

Recently, a number of LCD5s have also been on sale. I quite like mine and think it’s up there but slightly behind the Sus and TC.

The number of Susvaras I have seen in the last two months on the secondary market was also rather high compared to the TC. But I can tell you that a lot of people on the Sus thread and on HeadFi’s group prefer the Sus to the TC.

And just anecdotally, don’t have hard data, but recent positive reviews on YTube of the Sus likely means Sus sales have shot up in the last few months.

Ultimately, without knowing sales volume, numbers cropping up in the secondary market is not a barometer of how much you will like an IEM.

I also think the EVO is an all-round and noticeable improvement to the LX. But of course YMMV. I know someone who prefers the HE6 to the Susvara, so anything is possible. Subjectivity keeps life interesting.
I completely agree with your take on the EVO. Some people have a problem with the elevated upper mids. For me, they balance out the 15db sub bass boost to give it a bit of balance.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #34,663 of 40,613
Even with its 'flaws' EVO literally kicks the Xmas stuffing out of most, especially if you appreciate decadent bass and top-shelf technical performance, not to mention a rather unique BC presentation. Season's greetings everyone, and a big thank you to @Jack Vang and his team for their hard work, humility, perseverance and innovation in what was a really difficult year for many of us.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #34,664 of 40,613
Have you tried some EQ with the Evo? Does the trick for me. Same music genre as you..😊

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #34,665 of 40,613
Have you tried some EQ with the Evo? Does the trick for me. Same music genre as you..😊
I don’t really like to EQ :wink: I’d rather leave the IEM as it is, and if I really don’t like it enough, I’ll just sell it. Which is why I didn’t keep some of the other IEMs that didn’t feel like keepers to me. Strange as it may be, I tend to adopt an instinctive love affair with the IEMs that I keep. Anyway, I don’t think there is a perfect IEM (for me) for now, but that’s something I can live with 😋

Users who are viewing this thread

Back