Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #34,621 of 40,582
I thought only the Century Series (1950s, 1960s, 1980s) cables utilized Cardas wire. Not sure what the Orpheus, Attila & First Times cables use. Also not counting the Stormbreaker & Traillii cable. I've always been confused by PW Audio cables though.

you and me both. there’s no official information readily available to the end user which distinguishes one model over the other except for the price.

Dec 18, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #34,622 of 40,582
I'm guessing it might be a tough sell as so few people have tried the Genesis cable and there's very few opinions about its synergy with other iems. Without a list price it's hard for people to tell if they are getting a good deal or overpaying.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #34,623 of 40,582
I based my estimate on the pwa cable that is included with the MEST MKII which retails for $562. The Genesis looks to be a heavier gauge version than that one which generally costs more. I thought all pwa cables were made using Cardas copper. 🤔
AFAIK only the 1950s (Cardas Clear) and 1960s (Clear Light) are actually pure Cardas, but even that has never been confirmed.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #34,625 of 40,582
did anybody try to use the genesis cable on other iems? from my experience, these "specifically tuned for" cables dont work well with other iems.
Tried the genesis on my LX. Sounded a lot like the og cable. Maybe the mids were more present. I still prefer my LX over the EVO but that is purely a personal choice. Genesis is back on EVO and PW 1960 on LX.

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #34,626 of 40,582
Though I enjoy the synergy that the Genesis cable provides with the Legend EVO, I find that a pure silver cable brings out just that little extra sparkle in the upper treble along with increasing the height of the soundstage a bit. I’m really enjoying the EVO with the Null Audio 8 core Thera MK II Cable. Not to mention that I love the way it looks as well!
956E3B0A-FD07-43D1-8DCD-D55B2DAFCA9A.jpeg

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #34,627 of 40,582
Actually, the Stormbreaker was announced as having a $1,300 retail at the Odin introduction on 08/04/2020.
That's more a premium with having a custom made Valknut and Empire branded hardware. The only difference to me between the SB and a 60s was the hardware.

I based my estimate on the pwa cable that is included with the MEST MKII which retails for $562. The Genesis looks to be a heavier gauge version than that one which generally costs more. I thought all pwa cables were made using Cardas copper. 🤔
I think the PW cables that come with MEST are way overpriced.

Most likely the same source of copper as their entry/mid level offerings ala No 5./Saladin/Athena/Xerxes. And those are pretty much par for the course of being the traditional warm copper sound.

I imagine PW does want us thinking its all Cardas Copper though. Excellent for their Scrooge McDuck money pool though.
I thought only the Century Series (1950s, 1960s, 1980s) cables utilized Cardas wire. Not sure what the Orpheus, Attila & First Times cables use. Also not counting the Stormbreaker & Traillii cable. I've always been confused by PW Audio cables though.
50s and 60s are more or less "confirmed".

I'm not paying for the 80s to hear that.

If you search on the PW thread, there's a quote of a since deleted post that indicates PW said Orpheus was an 8 wire 50s with shielding *shielding intensifies*

Given the pricing and specs of Attila and First Times, they seem to be 60s configurations with the new hardware they debut on the M2 but with different shielding "trickled down" from stuff like Orpheus. August Fun is essentially 60s in the M2 hardware.

you and me both. there’s no official information readily available to the end user which distinguishes one model over the other except for the price.
Their website doesn't even show their full lineup. It ends at the Gold 24 former flagship and nothing afterwards. Information is word of mouth or digging into Chinese/HK audiophile sites.

My suspected Cardas models is all gleaned from Chinese specs of PW cables and even then

AFAIK only the 1950s (Cardas Clear) and 1960s (Clear Light) are actually pure Cardas, but even that has never been confirmed.
"Confirmed" *wink wink*. Neither PW nor Cardas will ever confirm that.

While I do have an issue with PW pricing their cables into the stratosphere recently with their fetish slapping shielding on everything and doubling the price tag (which is why I started to track of the cable specs specifically). And subsequently the pricing of high end iems that get paired with them out of box.

Don't let this detract from the fact that the Evo and Odin come with excellently paired cables. The former more to showcase the new tech, and the latter more to squeeze the best out of the tech.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #34,628 of 40,582
I posted this on the Vision Ears thread but here is a good place to post it also:

Vision Ears Phonix as compared to EE Odin: 13 BA versus 2 DD/5 BA/ 4 Estat

Well, oh well when I compare the two, I am struck by their similarities. They are both amazing with how much detail they provide. They both give you that “wow” feeling of holy batboy there is a lot going on here. Someone spent time tuning these two. Impactful bass, impactful mids and impactful treble. All there to be heard in their glorious detail.

Then there are the differences. The Phonix is a tamed Odin. Those that love Odin will think “this is a fun IEM that I could marry rather than just spend a short weekend with like the Odin.” Those that could not handle the intensity of the upper mids of the Odin will think “hello, beautiful, playful, detailed, textured, sound! I could get old with you.”

Both Odin and Phonix are masters at being impactful. The Phonix has a coherent W sound. The Odin has a W sound that is not an even W. Some parts of the W go up higher i.e. the sub bass and upper mids. The Phonix notes are a little bit richer with a little bit more texture all the way around. When I A/B the two that is a huge difference that comes out.

The Phonix sound is not jumping at you right away when first listened to. It is a more mature sound that ages super well and slowly undresses in front of you. The Odin jumps into bed au naturel and then works backwards and tries to warm up the environment after it starts with hot! Phonix goes from cool to warm. Just a different way to approach the same endgame.
The Phonix is not going to put some people off like Odin. The Phonix will have those that never got into it because Phonix takes time to discover the rich taste. It is a Bordeaux rather than an injection.

Once again, I lack the ability to describe each specific detail of the Phonix. The Phonix is about an impactful Gestalt. The whole is so much greater than each part. With Odin the parts are very distinct. I am not saying one is a better approach than the other. Just different ways of enjoying sound.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #34,629 of 40,582
VE Extended as compared to EE Odin: DD/DD/4 Estat versus 2 DD/5 BA/ 4 Estat

There is a massive difference in warmth between the two monitors. EXT comes off as very warm with thicker notes versus the detail master that the Odin is. The analogy that comes to mind for me is how the keys on a piano sound. The keys on the Odin make quick precise notes. The keys on the EXT create a slower, warmer note.

The next thing that hits me is the bass. The same thing applies with the bass. The Odin bass is tight and quick with a big slant toward the sub bass. The EXT has a little more overall bass with an equal amount of sub and mid bass.

The next area that I hear is the treble. The treble on the Odin is more impactful. Too much for some most likely. The EXT treble goes along better with the rest of the signature. Warm and not overwhelming at all.

That leads to a big difference and that would be with the upper mids. There is an upper mid bump with the Odin that really stands out. Very easy to discern the difference with female vocals. They are more forward with Odin.

My ears hear a “darker” IEM with the EXT and a brighter IEM with Odin. When A/Bing the two each of those areas of focus really get accentuated. When listening to each on their own the differences are not so extreme. The Odin has massive detail with a sub bass bump and an upper mids bump. The EXT has warmer notes without any bumps. The only slant of the EXT could be toward the lower mids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back