Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #26,898 of 40,611
Thank you, but I was asking about MDR- Z1R full size headphones Vs LX and Odin.
Which is better etc.
You are comparing full-sized to IEM? I personally have never heard the Z1R, but I would say that it would depend on what aspect you are trying to compare to get a proper comparison.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #26,899 of 40,611
You are comparing full-sized to IEM? I personally have never heard the Z1R, but I would say that it would depend on what aspect you are trying to compare to get a proper comparison.
My question will be : are we now at a level where IEMs are on same level or better then full size closed bsck headphones? Details, clarity, soundstage, stage, bass ?

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #26,900 of 40,611
My question will be : are we now at a level where IEMs are on same level or better then full size closed bsck headphones? Details, clarity, soundstage, stage, bass ?
In my opinion, yes and no. There are some things that full-size headphones with 70mm (or larger in the case of planar) drivers can do that IEMs just can't. Full size headphones also use (and are affected by) parts of your ear anatomy that IEMs completely bypass. So the physical experience in the case of actual stage size and bass response, for example, will be different. But the psychoacoustic tricks many of the best IEMs use can overcome some of their physical limitations.

In that regard, at least with the IEMs I've used, IEMs have easily surpassed the best headphones I've heard in terms of resolution, clarity, stage (keep in mind what I said about psychoacoustics), imaging, separation and so on. For my use case they are also far more practical than headphones, given they don't require large, immobile desktop amps to sound their best, so you can take your music with you anywhere. Most IEMs are also sealed, so they don't leak sound out or in, which to me is an advantage.

TL;DR, practicality aside, in terms of absolute sound quality, I consider my current high-end IEMs superior to any high-end headphone I've heard or owned.

PS. I haven't heard the MDR-Z1R so can't comment on that comparison directly.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #26,901 of 40,611
I can tell you when I am playing Doom on my Xbox with the Legend X it is horrifying. I feel the explosions and hear each evil sound. It requires a massive prayer session following.
Okay, I'm going to need you guys to stop reminding me why I regret selling my LX.

1612801141026.png

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #26,903 of 40,611
Extremely interested in the Bravado MKII and the Hero Founders edition.

At only a $50 difference currently which would be better for new age rap/trap music

I really can't recommend Hero enough at that price, an absolute steal if you ask me. Especially for Rap and male vocals with an underlying bass line, they're really something special with Spinfit CP145's. What source would you be using them with?

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #26,905 of 40,611
I really can't recommend Hero enough at that price, an absolute steal if you ask me.
If only LX dropped to $1,000... (one can dream...) :thinking:

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #26,906 of 40,611
I am suddenly jones'ing hard for the Legend X....whereas previously I really had no interest. What is wrong with me.

I think I blame @gLer ; after reading hsi 64 Audio shootout thread, my predilection for the Tia Trio seemed to be confirmed, only to find out he ditched it in favor of the LX. Damn you, bro'. hahahahaha

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #26,907 of 40,611
I am suddenly jones'ing hard for the Legend X....whereas previously I really had no interest. What is wrong with me.

I think I blame @gLer ; after reading hsi 64 Audio shootout thread, my predilection for the Tia Trio seemed to be confirmed, only to find out he ditched it in favor of the LX. Damn you, bro'. hahahahaha
I feel your pain!:sweat: Who am I kidding, stop procrastinating and just get yourself an LX already!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm glad I took the long and winding road to get there, because now I know for sure how great it is.

By the way, I'm not saying Trio isn't, or Nio for that matter. We are really spoiled for choice when it comes to top-tier IEMs nowadays.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #26,908 of 40,611
If only LX dropped to $1,000... (one can dream...) :thinking:
The LX is a substantial step up in most technical aspects tbh. Although a completely different sound so it can be down to preference... if anything I find them quite complementary. I wouldn’t hold your breath on it dropping down to that price anytime soon.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #26,909 of 40,611
No, not even close. As much as I enjoy IEM, it's physically not possible to match headphone. Their purpose is different. Convenience, discretion at a level of quality that is excellent, just not headphone excellent.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #26,910 of 40,611
the Legend X is incredibly unique for taking the bass-loving approach to apex level audio, instead of the textbook path of neutrality. Nothing wrong with the neutral analytical approach, but sometimes it feels good to drink something other than distilled water :)

i am really interested in the Legend X, but I feel like as soon as i buy it they will come out with an updated version. especially with @Jack Vang 's previous post, it would be monstrously epic if they released a Legend X SE/MK II soon :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back