Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 7, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #26,881 of 40,539
Hi guys, long time lurker here. Just wanted to ask a few questions. Being a basshead and heard that the Legend X is the "best bass in the universe" it's always intrigued me. I got the ie800 for bass and Andromeda for mids and highs. Now looking to make that final step after months of reading.

Are they discontinued? My friend in Hong Kong just went to an iem store and the clerk said the LX is "no more". Is this true?

If not, would it be possible to get the Legend X universal but with custom shells or faceplates? I ask this because I'd like to be able to share the listening experience with my friends and family while also getting a unique design.

How power hungry are they? Is a FiiO BTR5 enough to drive them?

Thanks in advance!

Both the Legend X customs and universals are still on available on Empire's website, and @Jack Vang's very recently said that there are no plans yet to update or revamp the Legend X. As far as I know, the universal only comes in black with gold logos, but you could try your luck with a custom design by asking them via e-mail or something. The BTR5 should be more than enough to drive them. They aren't power-hungry IEMs at all.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #26,882 of 40,539
I'm liking Spiral Dots with the LX. Great seal, very comfortable, great sound. Sedna EarFit short is also ok but harder and less comfortable than Spirals, and the sound is slightly harder and more etched too. Tried but don't like the E-types. They're comfortable enough but mess up the sound for me, especially the mids. I was hoping they'd be different with the LX since they're the stock tips but no, same wonky mids as I hear with any IEM with these on.
Do you know the difference between the ++ version and the standard spiral dots? Trying to find these.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #26,883 of 40,539
As far as I know the LX are still very much current. In fact @MusicTeck just advertised them as in-stock.

Haven't used the BTR5 but they do benefit from alot of power to activate the dual subs properly, though listening at normal volume they do just fine. I actually think the LX are very balanced sound-wise. Potent bass sure, but only when it's in the track.

Don't expect a big, boomy, bassy experience - the LX is refined like every great flagship should be. They'll definitely outgun your IE800 without much trouble though, in every department.
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid they'd be much better than my ie800's. Guess my wallet will be taking some damage.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #26,884 of 40,539
Both the Legend X customs and universals are still on available on Empire's website, and @Jack Vang's very recently said that there are no plans yet to update or revamp the Legend X. As far as I know, the universal only comes in black with gold logos, but you could try your luck with a custom design by asking them via e-mail or something. The BTR5 should be more than enough to drive them. They aren't power-hungry IEMs at all.
Thanks for the reply. Already emailed Jack Vang, fingers crossed.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #26,885 of 40,539
Unless EE has a big realease coming to replace the LX. I don't think they would shoot their feet simply cancelling it. Even after all releases, LX is still the most "talked" IEM around here.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #26,886 of 40,539
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid they'd be much better than my ie800's. Guess my wallet will be taking some damage.
The LX is one of those that will be around as long as the company is. It dominates that price range for many folks and not to mention when they offer sales they are around $1800. Can’t beat it.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #26,887 of 40,539
Do you know the difference between the ++ version and the standard spiral dots? Trying to find these.
SD++ are softer and more pliable. They're also much more expensive. I actually prefer the sound of the regular Spiral Dot as it's a bit more solid compared to the slightly softer sound of the SD++.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #26,888 of 40,539
They aren't power-hungry IEMs at all.
True they can be driven easily by almost any source, even a phone, but are less sensitive than some other IEMs (my 64 Audio IEMs hit the same volume on low gain on the R8 that the LX hit on high gain, for example). And to get the best out of the subs you really can't be listening at whisper-like volume. They need power to really kick your teeth in.

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #26,889 of 40,539
I've had the Odin's for about a month now, and kind of have a love/hate relationship with them. Coming from the CA atlas's it was a revelation. Soundstage and clarity are quite impressive, but as great as they are, the high mid gain is quite intense and feel like it robs the fundamental frequencies from vocals and they lack a bit of soul and body. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but i feel like I'm being teased as there are two 9mm woofers an inch from my ear and i'm wanting just a tad more bass. Been thinking about selling them and getting the legend x's but scared they're going to be missing the things I love about the Odin's. For those who have owned both, how do they compare?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #26,890 of 40,539
I've had the Odin's for about a month now, and kind of have a love/hate relationship with them. Coming from the CA atlas's it was a revelation. Soundstage and clarity are quite impressive, but as great as they are, the high mid gain is quite intense and feel like it robs the fundamental frequencies from vocals and they lack a bit of soul and body. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but i feel like I'm being teased as there are two 9mm woofers an inch from my ear and i'm wanting just a tad more bass. Been thinking about selling them and getting the legend x's but scared they're going to be missing the things I love about the Odin's. For those who have owned both, how do they compare?
Looking at your description looks like LX is for you.
I owned Atlas auditioned Odin and own LX.
LX will give you thicker mids with less upper mids focus but its not recessed too much. LX is technically another league. And bass quantity would be similar but texture between LX and Atlas is fairly different.
LX is more sub bass focused and it reaches deep a gives that massive rumble but also has that massive stage.
Atlas as you know is more midbass focused and sub bass is not star of show.
Odin has a slight edge on soundstage and detail retrieval but its not massive. LX is still extremely capable even when comparing both.

If you really miss bass on Odin. LX will give you that while still keeping EE flagship goodies.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #26,891 of 40,539
Looking at your description looks like LX is for you.
I owned Atlas auditioned Odin and own LX.
LX will give you thicker mids with less upper mids focus but its not recessed too much. LX is technically another league. And bass quantity would be similar but texture between LX and Atlas is fairly different.
LX is more sub bass focused and it reaches deep a gives that massive rumble but also has that massive stage.
Atlas as you know is more midbass focused and sub bass is not star of show.
Odin has a slight edge on soundstage and detail retrieval but its not massive. LX is still extremely capable even when comparing both.

If you really miss bass on Odin. LX will give you that while still keeping EE flagship goodies.
Welp, I guess that settles it. Probably be putting the Odins up for sale this week.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #26,892 of 40,539
I was actually going to ask a similar thing of Odin owners, though my question more specifically is: how do you find vocals, especially female vocals, on LX compared to Odin.

Now that I have the LX, the two biggest revelations for me so far:

1. The bass - yes it can be powerful, yes it can be big, but it doesn't force either on you if it's not in the music, and if you listen at lower volumes, the subwoofers will do just enough to add weight and body to a track without ever imposing themselves on anything. Like @Skullar says, it's more sub-bass focused, so it's not like a midbassy IEM that tars everything with the same bass brush, and more like a fine artist that gives you only the bass you need but isn't afraid to be bold should you want it.

2. The vocals - they're definitely not in your face, but I wouldn't call them recessed either. I spent half a day yesterday listening to various tracks and comparing the LX with two other IEMs for an upcoming review, and one of my notes read:

"The vocals are always perfectly separated from the instruments, be they bass or guitars, never overwhelmed, zero bleed. Even on bassier tracks, there's no thickness from the bass into the vocals. You can hear the same tone, timbre, texture and detail and SWEETNESS in the vocals, whether she's signing with a single guitar or the drums are kicking and guitars screeching."

I didn't expect LX to have the best vocals of all the IEMs I'd previously heard (I listen mainly to female vocals, so too much of an upper mid lift is not ideal), and yet here I am, thinking the vocals are the LX's best-kept secret.

So, as @Skullar also mentions, you're getting top-shelf bass with top-shelf vocals and flagship-level technicalities. I also own the Tia Fourte, which is the most technically impressive IEM I've heard (still is), and while LX doesn't quite match it for stage, separation and imaging, it's not far behind, while being more musical and cohesive. Fourte also has a sub-bass focus with massive bass potential, but seems to always hold it back to keep the focus on its surgical precision and holographic stage. LX gives me that bass fill I was looking for without going OTT bass, and keeps clarity at flagship level.

Hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #26,893 of 40,539
I was actually going to ask a similar thing of Odin owners, though my question more specifically is: how do you find vocals, especially female vocals, on LX compared to Odin.

Now that I have the LX, the two biggest revelations for me so far:

1. The bass - yes it can be powerful, yes it can be big, but it doesn't force either on you if it's not in the music, and if you listen at lower volumes, the subwoofers will do just enough to add weight and body to a track without ever imposing themselves on anything. Like @Skullar says, it's more sub-bass focused, so it's not like a midbassy IEM that tars everything with the same bass brush, and more like a fine artist that gives you only the bass you need but isn't afraid to be bold should you want it.

2. The vocals - they're definitely not in your face, but I wouldn't call them recessed either. I spent half a day yesterday listening to various tracks and comparing the LX with two other IEMs for an upcoming review, and one of my notes read:

"The vocals are always perfectly separated from the instruments, be they bass or guitars, never overwhelmed, zero bleed. Even on bassier tracks, there's no thickness from the bass into the vocals. You can hear the same tone, timbre, texture and detail and SWEETNESS in the vocals, whether she's signing with a single guitar or the drums are kicking and guitars screeching."

I didn't expect LX to have the best vocals of all the IEMs I'd previously heard (I listen mainly to female vocals, so too much of an upper mid lift is not ideal), and yet here I am, thinking the vocals are the LX's best-kept secret.

So, as @Skullar also mentions, you're getting top-shelf bass with top-shelf vocals and flagship-level technicalities. I also own the Tia Fourte, which is the most technically impressive IEM I've heard (still is), and while LX doesn't quite match it for stage, separation and imaging, it's not far behind, while being more musical and cohesive. Fourte also has a sub-bass focus with massive bass potential, but seems to always hold it back to keep the focus on its surgical precision and holographic stage. LX gives me that bass fill I was looking for without going OTT bass, and keeps clarity at flagship level.

Hope this helps.
Humm, I must agree with all your comments (that's rare around the forum. :p) . Specially the one about listening at low volumes as I do. There's nothing overwhelming as some are afraid off. Pure joy.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #26,894 of 40,539
Legend Xs on the way from MusicTeck. Parted with my Nios, which I was a big fan of, but from everything I’ve read on here I think the Xs are really going to scratch that itch. Loved reading the discussion on this thread and very excited to finally have myself a legendary listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back