Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 24, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #25,697 of 40,675
I think any comparison is fair, specially to add context to the familiar product.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #25,699 of 40,675
In my personal experience Odin is the only IEM I heard that does not leave me with the feeling that there is a room for improvement and that I am missing something in the music that I am listening. Because of that Odin for me is unique IEM that is worth its price. Although it does not mean that Odin is perfect or that there are no other good bang for the buck IEMs. Not to mention that you will also need to spend a bunch of money for the flagship portable DAC, otherwise you will experience significant bottleneck.

It is rather pointless to compare Odin to Andromeda, as it is better in every single aspect. Is it worth the price difference though?.. I know a person who took a loan to buy newest most expensive iPhone several years ago. It was extremely dumb. So, unless you need to take a loan to buy Odin, and in the case you want the "best possible experience", I would say it is worth it. Otherwise buy something else.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #25,700 of 40,675
No comparison is pointless. Just point the differences. Things that the owner of the Andromeda can read and conclude if it is "better" or not. Better is a personal point, but what makes it better is what other can relate.

Dozens of comments later I only saw one answer to this person's question.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #25,701 of 40,675
No comparison is pointless. Just point the differences. Things that the owner of the Andromeda can read and conclude if it is "better" or not. Better is a personal point, but what makes it better is what other can relate.

Dozens of comments later I only saw one answer to this person's question.

I get your point and overall agree with this statement. But in the particular Odin/Andromeda comparison the case is different. Of course there is some part of subjectivism, but I have not heard a single person who said that Andromeda is better than Odin in something, i.e. mids. And they do not have entirely different sound signature like Odin and Legend X, which makes the comparison harder and more reliable on one's preferences. They are more or less alike, besides the fact that Odin does everything better. Separation - better, soundstage - better, clarity, the sound of instruments, vocals, etc. etc. So, while it is not entirely impossible that someone will like Andromeda more than Odin, it is highly improbable. Odin is just in another league. And because of this particular reason, their comparison is like comparing flagship DAC with smartphone. You can do it...but the results you will get are quite obvious.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #25,702 of 40,675
I get your point and overall agree with this statement. But in the particular Odin/Andromeda comparison the case is different. Of course there is some part of subjectivism, but I have not heard a single person who said that Andromeda is better than Odin in something, i.e. mids. And they do not have entirely different sound signature like Odin and Legend X, which makes the comparison harder and more reliable on one's preferences. They are more or less alike, besides the fact that Odin does everything better. Separation - better, soundstage - better, clarity, the sound of instruments, vocals, etc. etc. So, while it is not entirely impossible that someone will like Andromeda more than Odin, it is highly improbable. Odin is just in another league. And because of this particular reason, their comparison is like comparing flagship DAC with smartphone. You can do it...but the results you will get are quite obvious.
Odin is three times the price of Andromeda. If it wasn't better in every way that would, to me, make it an abject failure (which it's not, obviously). I also agree that if the sound signatures/tonality are similar it makes it easier to compare than something that's going for a different sound altogether. That's why I prefer the sound coming from the lowly BLON-03 to the original Andromeda, if you want one extreme example. Just a tonality preference.

I don think you have to have context though, and since Odin is significantly more expensive, that has to taken into account. You can't compare a BMW to. Ferrari just because they're both cars. They're aiming at very different buyers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #25,703 of 40,675
I think the LX mids/highs are under appreciated (stage as well). LX SE boosts mids/highs just enough to improve balance with superb bass. just splendid balance IMO (and for my preferences!)
My opinion as well. Generally, too many quick listens. To appreciate it's nuances, it truly isn't a quick listen IEM.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #25,704 of 40,675
Odin is three times the price of Andromeda. If it wasn't better in every way that would, to me, make it an abject failure (which it's not, obviously). I also agree that if the sound signatures/tonality are similar it makes it easier to compare than something that's going for a different sound altogether. That's why I prefer the sound coming from the lowly BLON-03 to the original Andromeda, if you want one extreme example. Just a tonality preference.

I don think you have to have context though, and since Odin is significantly more expensive, that has to taken into account. You can't compare a BMW to. Ferrari just because they're both cars. They're aiming at very different buyers.

Yeap, exactly what I think. Although I would say that while Ferrari is a great car only for racing, not for day to day drive, in Odin's case it is an all rounder. As I wrote previously in this thread, Odin is a car that is capable of doing pretty much everything at the same time.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #25,705 of 40,675
Yeap, exactly what I think. Although I would say that while Ferrari is a great car only for racing, not for day to day drive, in Odin's case it is an all rounder. As I wrote previously in this thread, Odin is a car that is capable of doing pretty much everything at the same time.
I would say a Ferrari can also do everything (or make it a Lamborghini SUV if you want), but just like you wouldn't use a supercar for a casual drive to the grocery store, you wouldn't use the Odin for casual listening. Well, I mean you could, but to me that's overkill and not making use of its capabilities.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #25,706 of 40,675
All analogies refering to how someone should use their products. We should tell how it works and let the other decide how they want to use.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #25,707 of 40,675
All analogies refering to how someone should use their products. We should tell how it works and let the other decide how they want to use.
Fair enough. It's just opinions anyway. Everyone is welcome to splash the cash however they see fit.

My approach is simple. Ask yourself what it is about your IEMs that you don't like or could use improving, find an IEM that solves that problem, balance it against your budget, buy and enjoy.

Or...I see it, I want it, I buy it.

To each his own.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #25,708 of 40,675
Totally agree with your approach when looking for a new piece of gear and that's exactly what the guys was looking for, some guidence on the sound differences between Andromeda and Odin. As Andromeda is a know IEM and Odin is something (s)he had eyes on. Simple question that no one can answer, but throw sarcasms and multiple examples of "how not to compare". That's what is intriguing me in this thread. That's why most of us ask questions around and I'm pretty sure everyome already asked this kind of simple question "how this compared to that?"

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #25,709 of 40,675
Totally agree with your approach when looking for a new piece of gear and that's exactly what the guys was looking for, some guidence on the sound differences between Andromeda and Odin. As Andromeda is a know IEM and Odin is something (s)he had eyes on. Simple question that no one can answer, but throw sarcasms and multiple examples of "how not to compare". That's what is intriguing me in this thread. That's why most of us ask questions around and I'm pretty sure everyome already asked this kind of simple question "how this compared to that?"
The sarcasms only really came in response to the one arrogant 'Odin is better than everything else on the planet, stop asking silly questions' response, and were mostly tongue-in-cheek, or at least I thought so. They did ignore the original question though, which was very valid.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #25,710 of 40,675
The sarcasms only really came in response to the one arrogant 'Odin is better than everything else on the planet, stop asking silly questions' response, and were mostly tongue-in-cheek, or at least I thought so. They did ignore the original question though, which was very valid.
Can you link that response I am unable to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back