Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #24,289 of 40,656
I would be curious as well, and also how the hero stacks up against the Solaris and the Sony z1r
My Hero should be coming tomorrow and I’ve had a great couple of weeks with the Z1R so it has some stiff competition. The Solaris SE isn’t going anywhere as that fits a different niche for me but I’ll be sure to compare the three.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #24,290 of 40,656
My Hero should be coming tomorrow and I’ve had a great couple of weeks with the Z1R so it has some stiff competition. The Solaris SE isn’t going anywhere as that fits a different niche for me but I’ll be sure to compare the three.
Looking forward to those impressions. Let me know what you think of Hero vs LX as well in terms of resolution/detail/technicalities when you have some time

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #24,295 of 40,656
It depends on your approach - whether you choose gear that makes your music sound good or you choose music that makes your gear sound good.

If I spend over 3000$ on something I definitely want it to sound good with stuff that I listen to daily, including compressed pop, alternative, rock or rap recordings

I find that saying that certain music isn’t good enough for high end audiophile gear is the very definition of audiophile elitism. It’s even sillier considering just how large the music industry is and how absolutely tiny the audiophile industry is
I choose gear that makes my music sound as it's intended.

I also don't go buy $3400 in ear's to further enhance the lack of resolution in compressed, crap manufactured pop music.

I most definitely don't use that same music to evaluate a high end product. If I did, I would say don't buy these for crap manufactured pop music, I'd also say buy beats wireless cause this will always sound like a dumpster fire. If that's your music of choice more power to you, but I don't see a need to blow a few thousand knowing it won't sound any better, then complaining about it.

It’s funny because I wouldn’t spend a fraction of the retail price on Thummim. In fact, with my experience of it on the tour, it came across as a worse Legend X, attempting to do what the Legend X does but failing. Limp dynamics, muted treble and the soundstage had less width imo. I don’t know why I have heard so much praise about it but I reckon Odin would wipe the floor with it... I know that the Legend X did for me!

Given some members affiliations and Thummim being a direct competitor to Odin, I can see why there might be some posts that you would need to take with a (large) grain of salt.

You'd never hear that from the Thummim gang though. You'd just hear some obtuse objection to one part of the Odin's FR that would effectively negate ALLLLLL the other things it does amazingly well. Negate to the point of it being called a failure because it doesn't make crap manufactured pop sound any better than crap manufactured pop.

The grain of salt needed to be taken with it rivals the salt content of the dead sea.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #24,298 of 40,656
Initial early impressions.

I am still getting to know the Hero (the LX SE has been a bit distracting the last couple of days!), and while I agree with some of @Resolve's comments about the Hero and Nio directionally, I don't agree fully (of course, this is the beauty of this hobby, isn't it?).
First, I really enjoy his reviews and think he does a great job of balancing technicalities with an easy-going attitude. Really think his reviews are excellent.

FWIW, I believe he used the m15 module with the Nio, and I used the m20.

I found the Nio (w/m20) to have more bass than the Hero (i.e., more quantity), but I also found the Nio's bass to be of much lower quality - splashy and lots of mid bleed. To my ear, the m15 module was far too bass light, if that helps you calibrate my preferences versus Andrew's! :)

I do agree the treble on the Hero is a bit bright, but I just popped on some foam tips and have since found the treble quite nice - still on the bright side, but I'd use the word "crisp" (which I believe has a positive connotation) than "bright" (which leans negative).

I find the Hero to be "balanced with a treble tilt," if that makes any sense, with a very nice stage (not as wide/holographic as the Solaris 2020, but puts up a fight for sure).

I would not characterize the Hero as a V-shaped signature, personally, and certainly not anywhere near the signature of the Valk, for example, which I do think is a strong V (and the Hero's treble is much tamer than the Valk's treble).

Also, to be transparent, I'm selling my Nio - couldn't justify it with the rest of my collection, and struggled with the bass quant/qual trade-off. The Hero fits my preferences and collection much better than the Nio.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #24,299 of 40,656
Plus he hasn't had the chance to review those IEM's you mentioned yet, that is why he compared the Nio to the Hero.
The Odin vs U12t matchup should be a doozy! Very interesting observations about the other two - I tend to have listening preferences that dovetail closely with Resolve's so always watch his reviews with interest.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #24,300 of 40,656
I'm just glad those nuclear upper-mids didn't rupture his ear drums or make his brain hemorrhage :smirk:

get your Odin ready there is a prog bomb coming your way the fun never ends (oh how i wish it was 2000 again)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back