Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #23,088 of 40,613
PW Audio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter comes included with Odin order?!

if i recall correctly , @twister6 mentioned in his lovely review that there are a 2.5>3.5 and 2.5>4.4 adapter available with odin

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #23,089 of 40,613
I was on the tour and I’ve gotta say that I wasn’t impressed much with the Thummim given the price tag, I thought the legend X did a lot of things better. The only quality that stood out to me was bass texture. I would advise to try before you buy with the Thummim.
I’m not quite sure what is driving the two sort of “impression types” of the Thummim. Half the people that have heard it have your “overly warm” experience, while the other half find it a fair bit more balanced or W shaped rather, with really good treble, midrange and staging

might be something to do with ear anatomy, or the thummim simply being a peculiar signature that definitely isn’t for everyone

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #23,090 of 40,613
I’m not quite sure what is driving the two sort of “impression types” of the Thummim. Half the people that have heard it have your “overly warm” experience, while the other half find it a fair bit more balanced or W shaped rather, with really good treble, midrange and staging

might be something to do with ear anatomy, or the thummim simply being a peculiar signature that definitely isn’t for everyone

no offense but this sounds very elitist

btw if half the people find it 'warm' or not something to die for , then this is a big percentage to deem it peculiar - i see 95% of people who got erlky say it rocks - a 50% saying it's great and he other 50% saying it's meh , this is not a good sign.

just my 2 cents

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #23,091 of 40,613

btw if half the people find it 'warm' or not something to die for , then this is a big percentage to deem it peculiar - i see 95% of people who got erlky say it rocks - a 50% saying it's great and he other 50% saying it's meh , this is not a good sign.

just my 2 cents
I don't think I'll take that as being elitist, I think it makes sense to what he's mentioned. Quite a few iems have a signature that are tuned to please specific ears, you can't make everyone happy, it is a very subjective hobby :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #23,092 of 40,613

just my 2 cents
What part of it sounds elitist lmao?

I for one am happy when a manufacturer takes a chance and doesn’t build an IEM that is made for everyone to like.

The Fourte is a classic example of that. Half the people I’ve come across absolutely love it, the other half hate it.

There are plenty of polarising models in the market, and I think it’s a wonderful thing to have that kind of diversity as opposed to every model being an inoffensive jack of all trades

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #23,093 of 40,613
maybe polarising is a better term , i agree :)

still , like Wraith , any iem that half the people who got it say it's meh , i will file it as kinda of a failed experiment

espacially if it costs north of 3K

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #23,094 of 40,613
What part of it sounds elitist lmao?

I for one am happy when a manufacturer takes a chance and doesn’t build an IEM that is made for everyone to like.

The Fourte is a classic example of that. Half the people I’ve come across absolutely love it, the other half hate it.

There are plenty of polarising models in the market, and I think it’s a wonderful thing to have that kind of diversity as opposed to every model being an inoffensive jack of all trades
isnt this the case with every iem? :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #23,095 of 40,613
If it is jack of all trades, at some point it becomes boring. People has so many different tastes and, by definition, one can't make a perfect product for everyone with a single tuning.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #23,096 of 40,613

Hmm I'm also somewhat confused with the mixed impressions of it. I found it hugely unimpressive and I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to its sound signature as I felt it was also lacking in the intangibles. This may be down to my sources? I don't know. Either way it has made me more weary about buying IEM's in this price category (and above £2k for that matter) blind, without listening to it first or having a widespread consensus that the IEM's is very good (technically) with my chosen sound sig.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #23,097 of 40,613
Hmm I'm also somewhat confused with the mixed impressions of it. I found it hugely unimpressive and I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to its sound signature as I felt it was also lacking in the intangibles. This may be down to my sources? I don't know. Either way it has made me more weary about buying IEM's in this price category (and above £2k for that matter) blind, without listening to it first or having a widespread consensus that the IEM's is very good (technically) with my chosen sound sig.
I wouldn’t attribute it to sources personally, I drive the thummim with the PAW S1 and I squeeze the same performance out of it.

I’d personally say it has to be down to ear canal anatomy and the Thummim’s shell shape - me, as well as the others that own thummims bought it because it delivers one of the biggest soundstages any of us have heard

while I love a unique shell design, I do recognize that more universally fitting shells like those of QDC and EE bring the benefit of more consistent impressions between users

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #23,098 of 40,613
I wouldn’t attribute it to sources personally, I drive the thummim with the PAW S1 and I squeeze the same performance out of it.

I’d personally say it has to be down to ear canal anatomy and the Thummim’s shell shape - me, as well as the others that own thummims bought it because it delivers one of the biggest soundstages any of us have heard

while I love a unique shell design, I do recognize that more universally fitting shells like those of QDC and EE bring the benefit of more consistent impressions between users

This possibly might be the case. Personally I thought that the Solaris SE's soundstage achieved what Thummim's was attempting to accomplish (spherical, around the head with holographic like imaging) to a much higher level, possibly due to the more balanced signature. I also thought that the Legend X's soundstage was wider.... Each to their own.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #23,099 of 40,613
This possibly might be the case. Personally I thought that the Solaris SE's soundstage achieved what Thummim's was attempting to accomplish (spherical, around the head with holographic like imaging) to a much higher level, possibly due to the more balanced signature. I also thought that the Legend X's soundstage was wider.... Each to their own.
Yeah IEMs are extremely hard to agree on. I really don’t like the Solaris myself, and in many ways the experience I’ve had with it is really different to ones that have enjoyed it. It also has a somewhat odd shell shape, and I believe that can be a part of the reason why

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #23,100 of 40,613
might be something to do with ear anatomy, ... that definitely isn’t for everyone...
Yup, t/w the listener's sound preference, bias. Ofc, if it's not to it's perferred tuning, that'll sound bad to its' ears, albeit fantastic to the other listener, that prefers to that kind of tuning.
Been hanging around the basshead thread from the beginning, when i joined headfi.
Then i kept on reading other threads.
Nowadays, i want (my ears want) Bass, full bodied mids, detailed airy trebles & huge stage.
Now i got ALL 3 major frequencies, moving on to better stage depth to have that proper holo experience, i personally call "performance experience".
The other factor why the output / results are different, the source player...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back