Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #23,116 of 40,686
my guess , EE releases Odin custom around BF time and offers a 15% off Uni Odin to boost the 2nd wave of buy(er)s

just a guess , i am no(stradamus)

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #23,117 of 40,686
if i recall correctly , @twister6 mentioned in his lovely review that there are a 2.5>3.5 and 2.5>4.4 adapter available with odin

Yes, that is correct. The stock PWA 1960 is 2.5mm terminated and EE will offer optional adapters made by PWA as well. The one I featured in the review was 2.5mm to 4.4mm, Pete's adapter is 2.5mm to 3.5mm. Tbh, I would have preferred 4.4mm termination considering most of today's DAPs have 4.4mm jack, with A&K being the only exception and maybe a few other entry level small DAPs. But 2.5mm is a common denominator, I guess, and there are still many A&K users.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #23,118 of 40,686
Look at proedros sig, he already has 1960 2wire cable :wink: thus an overlap for him.

... sorry, been MIA from this thread, finally got back power and internet after the tropic storm that hit us on east coast early this week.
Stay safe Alex. Where do you live? NJ?? If so, when things get better, it would be fun to all get together. Lorenzo and I have been wanting to meet in the city. How many others live up here and would want to?? We can figure that out when things calm down.

As for the 3.5 adaptor they are $70 if I recall correctly. It's as beautifully made adaptor. I got one so that I may use this with my iPhone as well as other headphone amps that can only use 3.5. My 1/4" ones will be interesting with two adaptors, lol...

Nearly 24 hours of burn in. Early Sunday morning. A fun time for me to use the portable rig as I don't want to wake up the neighborhood, lol. Burn in is going well. I've been listening to Sheffield's Drum and Track record. It's an old audiophile standby from the 80's if I recall. Being a former drummer (damn you MS!!!! LMAO), I have always loved this short, recording. Only a few songs, but man was this thing well recorded. Not hot, like so many other records in that era. No Mask, no shoes, NO EQ!!!! Please resist and DO NOT USE EQ on this one.......................when playing with Odin's (at least until you burn them in and try them out)!!!! LOL

I'll try to listen more later and post. The detail is starting to show up now and that's where the emotion of the music is. Some speakers/IEM's don't give micro and macro detail. They sound great, but you can't get fully invested. This is an IEM where I am already getting invested and the detail is only getting better as they break in.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #23,119 of 40,686
If it is jack of all trades, at some point it becomes boring. People has so many different tastes and, by definition, one can't make a perfect product for everyone with a single tuning.
Here I disagree a bit. Just as in a high end home system, I feel a TOTL IEM should be able to do everything great. If they cannot, they should cost way less. There will always be subjective likes and dislikes and I am not talking about that. For those that like the signature, the best should not have a great midrange, but be lacking in bass for example. It should be equally great at bass, mids and treble. I have one that meets this criteria, but I would like greater heights yet. Hopefully this is not a dream.

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #23,120 of 40,686
Stay safe Alex. Where do you live? NJ?? If so, when things get better, it would be fun to all get together. Lorenzo and I have been wanting to meet in the city. How many others live up here and would want to?? We can figure that out when things calm down.

As for the 3.5 adaptor they are $70 if I recall correctly. It's as beautifully made adaptor. I got one so that I may use this with my iPhone as well as other headphone amps that can only use 3.5. My 1/4" ones will be interesting with two adaptors, lol...

Nearly 24 hours of burn in. Early Sunday morning. A fun time for me to use the portable rig as I don't want to wake up the neighborhood, lol. Burn in is going well. I've been listening to Sheffield's Drum and Track record. It's an old audiophile standby from the 80's if I recall. Being a former drummer (damn you MS!!!! LMAO), I have always loved this short, recording. Only a few songs, but man was this thing well recorded. Not hot, like so many other records in that era. No Mask, no shoes, NO EQ!!!! Please resist and DO NOT USE EQ on this one.......................when playing with Odin's (at least until you burn them in and try them out)!!!! LOL

I'll try to listen more later and post. The detail is starting to show up now and that's where the emotion of the music is. Some speakers/IEM's don't give micro and macro detail. They sound great, but you can't get fully invested. This is an IEM where I am already getting invested and the detail is only getting better as they break in.

The EE adapter seems a bit long, so when joined with the 2.5mm, it looks like it sticks out quite a bit. I prefer a right angle adapter or one that has a tail.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #23,123 of 40,686
Get the DD Hifi adapters, they are angled and look nice too!

It looks nice for $18 ...

1596999960334.png

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #23,127 of 40,686
Yes, that is correct. The stock PWA 1960 is 2.5mm terminated and EE will offer optional adapters made by PWA as well. The one I featured in the review was 2.5mm to 4.4mm, Pete's adapter is 2.5mm to 3.5mm. Tbh, I would have preferred 4.4mm termination considering most of today's DAPs have 4.4mm jack, with A&K being the only exception and maybe a few other entry level small DAPs. But 2.5mm is a common denominator, I guess, and there are still many A&K users.
I’ve transitioned over to 4.4mm as well, so agree wholeheartedly, but what’s interesting is Jack said earlier in this thread that less than 5% of units sold in 2019 opted for 4.4mm termination. I would have thought it much higher, but with those figures it’s understandable with the cost of the cable to not have to sink capital into stock of the cable that may not sell.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #23,128 of 40,686
I’ve transitioned over to 4.4mm as well, so agree wholeheartedly, but what’s interesting is Jack said earlier in this thread that less than 5% of units sold in 2019 opted for 4.4mm termination. I would have thought it much higher, but with those figures it’s understandable with the cost of the cable to not have to sink capital into stock of the cable that may not sell.

Yes but again, I said this earlier, I don't find this a compelling argument. If less then 5% were 4.4mm that would mean the other percentage must have been mostly 3.5mm or 2.5mm. I would make a guess and say that the 2.5mm wasn't 95% of the other cable sales. So unless 2.5mm made up significantly more then 5% that was 4.4mm then why would they make a cable in 2.5mm and say the reason is because less then 5% was 4.4mm?

If they went with that philosophy they suggested as the reason why, then they would have made it a 3.5mm cable would they not? Based on their own suggestion that holding extra stock cables is costly and they had less then 5% in 4.4mm, then would you not make the cable 3.5mm if that was your majority of sales? Unless 2.5mm was somehow a significant portion or sales it doesnt seem to be that good of an argument.

Now, would I venture to say that more 2.5mm were sold in 2019 then 4.4mm? Yes I could see that as possible, however I think given all the new DAPs and gear released towards the end of 2019 onwards that have mostly just gone to 4.4mm, I believe companies like EE will start to see 4.4mm sales be higher now then 2.5mm. Basically you're catering to only A&K users at this point with 2.5mm.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #23,129 of 40,686
RHA tips are often overlooked. A good wider bore and a variety of subtle shape differences.

For better or worse, the standard RHA tips “don’t do anything wrong”. I’d probably pick the RHA over the super-soft ‘Horns’ and harder Stars or Whirlwinds all the time.

Final E-Type, Spiral Dot, Sony Hybrid, SpinFit, Symbio, (4 “S”-branded tips in a row?!?) and Original UE depends much more on application while the RHA seems to just be “less fuss”. Roll away .. your own way :D

Thanks for mentioning the RHA tips! I bought the medium and large sizes cuz my canals are different sizes. They are the best silicon tips I'ver tried so far. Easy to insert, they stay in place so I'm not constantly pushing them back in. Most important, they don't stay in my ears when I remove my iems.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #23,130 of 40,686

Users who are viewing this thread

Back