Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #20,806 of 40,606
Question for the group...I have an LX and am curious about the Valkyrie because of its electrostatic driver.
My questions are:
-for those that have listened to both the LX and the Valkyrie, are differences between the two big enough to warrant having both?
-I noticed the Valkyrie isn't particularly sensitive and so I'm a bit concerned that my Cobalt will struggle to power them (Valkyrie rated at 96 db; for a comparison point, the DCA Aeon 2 closed back is rated at 92 db and the Cobalt could not drive - I tried!)
Thank you!
I have both in customs and love them both. The LX is the more talented and mature older brother that sits front row and center on the balcony for a perfect panoramic view of the theater with monstrous audiophile bass and a warmer smoother tone. His little brother is at the front center of the first row in the mosh pit dancing and singing with the band of a smaller venue that is much more intimate. It seems like the X is crossed at something like 120 hertz enhancing all bass while the Valk is crossed at 60 enhancing lower sub-bass more for a tighter response that doesn't flow so much into the mids. This and the excellent EST offer a colder more exciting tuning that oozes details. The bass seems like it hits harder on the Valk and is warmer on the X. Both have their own signature work well together. However, I have to say that the Valk is very addictive. It is like a diet of sweet or salty foods that make normal food seem bland. It is hard to go back to the X sometime after listening to the Valk for a while taking time to get your ears desensitized to enjoy the X again. I will be doing a full Valk review and X comparison soon. As for the Valk and sensitivity, I mostly listen on my iPhone at the gym, hiking, or biking and it drives it nicely. However, it does scale considerably when I drive it on my Burson Playmate at 2 watts of power as does the X.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #20,807 of 40,606
I have both in customs and love them both. The LX is the more talented and mature older brother that sits front row and center on the balcony for a perfect panoramic view of the theater with monstrous audiophile bass and a warmer smoother tone. His little brother is at the front center of the first row in the mosh pit dancing and singing with the band of a smaller venue that is much more intimate. It seems like the X is crossed at something like 120 hertz enhancing all bass while the Valk is crossed at 60 enhancing lower sub-bass more for a tighter response that doesn't flow so much into the mids. This and the excellent EST offer a colder more exciting tuning that oozes details. The bass seems like it hits harder on the Valk and is warmer on the X. Both have their own signature work well together. However, I have to say that the Valk is very addictive. It is like a diet of sweet or salty foods that make normal food seem bland. It is hard to go back to the X sometime after listening to the Valk for a while taking time to get your ears desensitized to enjoy the X again. I will be doing a full Valk review and X comparison soon. As for the Valk and sensitivity, I mostly listen on my iPhone at the gym, hiking, or biking and it drives it nicely. However, it does scale considerably when I drive it on my Burson Playmate at 2 watts of power as does the X.
very helpful, thanks - love the concert analogy

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #20,808 of 40,606
Any suggestions for a portable amp for the Valkyrie? They sound great out of my DX160 but having tried them with more juice (from a JDS atom), they definitely respond well to a bit more power!

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #20,809 of 40,606
1+ on this... Barra nailed what I was thinking.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #20,810 of 40,606
Any suggestions for a portable amp for the Valkyrie? They sound great out of my DX160 but having tried them with more juice (from a JDS atom), they definitely respond well to a bit more power!
Based on what a reviewer said, the Woo Audio WA11 pairs insane well with the Valkyrie. I have the Kann Cube. When my custom Valkyrie comes in I can give you some impressions.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #20,811 of 40,606
Based on what a reviewer said, the Woo Audio WA11 pairs insane well with the Valkyrie. I have the Kann Cube. When my custom Valkyrie comes in I can give you some impressions.

Thanks for that; I’d also read that. It would be predominantly for work so I’d probably look at something a bit more wallet friendly though! :)

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #20,812 of 40,606
Thanks for that; I’d also read that. It would be predominantly for work so I’d probably look at something a bit more wallet friendly though! :)
Yes please on the "wallet friendly" bit!

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #20,813 of 40,606
Wallet?!? Friendly?!? Haha Jk

I don't know much about it yet but I just ordered a ifi hip dac. The feedback has been good so far. For the price it may be worth a look.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #20,814 of 40,606
Oh... if it's for work you could always go a Schiit stack. Modi/Magni... Just a thought.

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #20,815 of 40,606

Great comparison! :beerchug: Really looking forward to your review / comparison.

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #20,816 of 40,606
How is the hiss?

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #20,817 of 40,606
Hey all!

We love going to shows because it lets us interact with all of you and hear all your feedback!

BUT - no one on our production side of things gets to have that fun (we lock them in the lab so they can keep pounding out these sweet IEMs), so if there's ever anything you'd wanted to say to the folks who actually make our IEMs, post it here so we can relay the messages and they can share in the love and excitement of what we do. :)

Here's a new video showing off the folks in the lab:

And here's some pics from the lab.

VwKG0aZ.jpg

GVYxYRj.jpg

Vhp2owo.jpg

xzUtMW8.jpg

SzkTkZR.jpg

bsHm3NN.jpg

Once again, thank you all for your continued support!

Send my big regards to the team for making the prettiest LX ever. :)

Attachments

• 20191218_134051.jpg
    20191218_134051.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 7, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #20,818 of 40,606
Question for the group...I have an LX and am curious about the Valkyrie because of its electrostatic driver.
My questions are:
-for those that have listened to both the LX and the Valkyrie, are differences between the two big enough to warrant having both?
-I noticed the Valkyrie isn't particularly sensitive and so I'm a bit concerned that my Cobalt will struggle to power them (Valkyrie rated at 96 db; for a comparison point, the DCA Aeon 2 closed back is rated at 92 db and the Cobalt could not drive - I tried!)
Thank you!
I had both (just sold the Valk) and also had the cobalt. Don't worry about power you have plenty, plenty of power for either. I use my cobalt on volume 1 (one) on my computer and about 15-20% on my S10e and that gives me roughly 80db of sound pressure (just point the IEM nozzle to the phone microfone using a db measure app).
Soundwise, I thought the Valk was brighter, but not enough to justify keeping both, I would got for a different sound signature to balance and cover different mood days.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #20,819 of 40,606
Send my big regards to the team for making the prettiest LX ever. :)
Very nice. Those are the faceplates unique to Asia right? I remember some limited edition we couldn’t get. I just ordered custom Valkyries and didn’t see that option. Looks insane good.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #20,820 of 40,606
Very nice. Those are the faceplates unique to Asia right? I remember some limited edition we couldn’t get. I just ordered custom Valkyries and didn’t see that option. Looks insane good.
You don't f find them on the designer. Needed to email them, describe exactly what I wanted. Their customer service is amazing (kudos to Devon and Jack). I made this after seeing personally the Japan special edition gold, but didn't like the translucent shell. I also wanted the contrast. So gold on silver and silver on gold and Onix black shell. Turner out amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back