Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #19,307 of 40,614
...The EE dude at CanJam (Josh) mentioned something about the Wraith having transformers (I can't be sure if I'm remembering that correctly?) added to it to affect how they were driven...

All estat drivers need transformers because they operate at very high voltage and low amperage.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #19,308 of 40,614
All estat drivers need transformers because they operate at very high voltage and low amperage.
They do, but I think your different types of estats (cf. electrets) require differently high voltages (hence the huge attachment for the KSE, which I assume is needed because they're using estats for all frequencies, not just highs, and thus need the extra high voltage to generate enough movement to produce lower frequencies). Yeah?

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #19,309 of 40,614
God I wish there were more places like that in the uk (I know there are a handful, but none near me :frowning2: )

Tell me about it... nearest EE dealer in Canada is 4200km away.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #19,310 of 40,614
They do, but I think your different types of estats (cf. electrets) require differently high voltages (hence the huge attachment for the KSE, which I assume is needed because they're using estats for all frequencies, not just highs, and thus need the extra high voltage to generate enough movement to produce lower frequencies). Yeah?

From what I have read on the new Sonion estat modules, each comes with its' own miniature transformer. You can read the spec sheet for their single driver attached below. Their other model is a dual driver.

https://www.sonion.com/wp-content/uploads/ds-EST65SA01_v1.pdf

Attachments

• ds-EST65SA01_v1.pdf
    926.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #19,311 of 40,614
I wonder how that compares to what sony implemented they use a dd instead for a tweeter hehe )

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #19,312 of 40,614
Aug 26, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #19,313 of 40,614
It specifies maximum input voltage (PP) at 3.3V, but I don't think it shows what it (or a typical load) gets transformed up to?

Sonion video states "100x voltage increase".

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #19,314 of 40,614
All the extra cost today is based on the price of supporting new technologies. The companies are expending money on research and checking the market acceptance to that new technology. if it pays of, the second generation will definitely be better implemented and better price. (considering competition will bring price down, not up as currently).

We you support the development and by them now? that's a personal point of trying to have the latest and greatest at any cost.

Vide, how was the full saga of BAs. Today we have 5x BAs IEM for 50 bucks.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #19,315 of 40,614
Quick question about the Legend X. If the common complaint (if I could call it that) is the bass bleeding into the mids sometimes. Is it possible to just EQ that to tame the effect or does that mess the overall sound too much?

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #19,316 of 40,614
I think, voltage difference could be explained by that: Shure using true Electrostats, and many others (Probably including Sonion) use Electret. I've seen improvised Electret holding over 6KV charge equivalent for over 6 month. that's why old condenser(capacitor) mikes required 12 and even 27V while new electret ones work in headsets with 1.6V.
So why Shure would't use Electret? I think they are perfectionists. Electret charge is affected by corresponding electrode Voltage and linearity is affected. It matters less on treble frequencies. So Shure in KSEs using static charge supported by high voltage source.(my guess:thinking:)
And I agree that bass would need higher voltage as well.

Edit: For a moment I hoped for true electrotats, but alas.. Sorry

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #19,317 of 40,614
Quick question about the Legend X. If the common complaint (if I could call it that) is the bass bleeding into the mids sometimes. Is it possible to just EQ that to tame the effect or does that mess the overall sound too much?

To me any eq is gonna mess your sound.
But I think lx eq well thats what I heard

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #19,318 of 40,614
It would be nice if Sonion used true electrostats but still exciting, as I found Electrostat treble to be my preferred one. The only thing that compares is Sony ier-z1r with their 6mm dynamic super twitter.
If I was buying today I would chose Valkyrie instead of LX

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #19,319 of 40,614
I EQ LX. Have to..:disappointed:

Edit: Depending on the music, but most often 32Hz-2, 63Hz-4, 125Hz-1

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #19,320 of 40,614
To me any eq is gonna mess your sound.
But I think lx eq well thats what I heard
I EQ LX. Have to..:disappointed:

Edit: Depending on the music, but most often 32Hz-2, 63Hz-4, 125Hz-1
It would be nice if Sonion used true electrostats but still exciting, as I found Electrostat treble to be my preferred one. The only thing that compares is Sony ier-z1r with their 6mm dynamic super twitter.
If I was buying today I would chose Valkyrie instead of LX

Yeah,,, I'm kinda of the mind that if I need to EQ the iem to sound right then it's not the right iem for me. I almost never EQ unless it's a case where the iem sounds good on my main source but needs a little boost somewhere on a secondary source..
I just asked because I'm not able to amass a collection and everything I hear about the LX, except that bass bleed, makes me think I would love them.. If all it took was a couple db reduction here or there... Maybe the Valkyrie would be better... oh those 4200km are extra long in these cases..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back