Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #19,321 of 40,559
No EQ here too. I like to see graphs and understand the tuning of each IEM and hear that difference. But I don't change it, I change the IEM, not the EQ. :) lol

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #19,322 of 40,559
Yeah,,, I'm kinda of the mind that if I need to EQ the iem to sound right then it's not the right iem for me. I almost never EQ unless it's a case where the iem sounds good on my main source but needs a little boost somewhere on a secondary source..
I just asked because I'm not able to amass a collection and everything I hear about the LX, except that bass bleed, makes me think I would love them.. If all it took was a couple db reduction here or there... Maybe the Valkyrie would be better... oh those 4200km are extra long in these cases..

No EQ here too. I like to see graphs and understand the tuning of each IEM and hear that difference. But I don't change it, I change the IEM, not the EQ. :) lol

From what I remember and that is now around 1 year ago.

When I audition the Lx and I had tia forte as well later.

Phantom to me sounded more accurate and textured with better bass quality performance.
Thought Lx has better highs vs phantom.
Something that really bothered me in the Lx was the bass it was too big and slamming hard like to much boom boom. It was going over the other frequencies and as result you hear more bass then the rest in passages where everything happens at same time.

To me phantom is more linear and precise. It has a nice bass to but not as a dd one.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.
I feel valkyrie is sonething EE made to be in between phantom and Lx...

At some point I wonder why didnt they try use 1 ba for bass and 1 w9 dd lol. Wouldnt that be the best of bothe world haha

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #19,323 of 40,559
The Valkyrie is now reviewed in full on Headfonia:
https://www.headfonia.com/empire-ears-valkyrie-review/

empire-ears-valkyrie-10.jpg

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #19,324 of 40,559
From what I remember and that is now around 1 year ago.

When I audition the Lx and I had tia forte as well later.

Phantom to me sounded more accurate and textured with better bass quality performance.
Thought Lx has better highs vs phantom.
Something that really bothered me in the Lx was the bass it was too big and slamming hard like to much boom boom. It was going over the other frequencies and as result you hear more bass then the rest in passages where everything happens at same time.

To me phantom is more linear and precise. It has a nice bass to but not as a dd one.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.
I feel valkyrie is sonething EE made to be in between phantom and Lx...

At some point I wonder why didnt they try use 1 ba for bass and 1 w9 dd lol. Wouldnt that be the best of bothe world haha

BA bass :confused:

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #19,325 of 40,559

I've encountered that with the Bravado occassionally but on some of my music, eg. Max Ritcher, the DD bass adds SO much texture that it's hard to not miss it terribly when I'm back on the Phantoms.. though the Phantoms have so many other benefits it just becomes a trade off.

So... the combination.. is it the Valkyrie? U12T ??? or an EQ'ed LX..??

edit... Just finished the review... I have no idea whether I would like it more or less than the Phantom.. but I would have loved the comparison to the Bravado he mentioned

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #19,327 of 40,559
I liked the Phantom when I reviewed it and the Legend X. I ended up getting the Legend X and A12t with plans to pick up the Phantom later. Not really interested in trying the Valkyrie.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #19,328 of 40,559
listening to the new Tool album on my Zeus XR = very nice (Borat voice)

Tool are back, and they are back with a kickass album.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #19,330 of 40,559
listening to the new Tool album on my Zeus XR = very nice (Borat voice)

Tool are back, and they are back with a kickass album.
You mean the new unreleased album? :wink:
Hehe...I was also not listening to that same unreleased (kickass indeed) album earlier today :sweat_smile:
645f4450d4710c7a1a0f96f212a05819.gif

(And also with Zeus XR, because it's so utterly technical revealing)

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #19,331 of 40,559
Hehe...I was also not listening to that same unreleased (kickass indeed) album earlier today :sweat_smile:

(And also with Zeus XR, because it's so utterly technical revealing)

i am dying to pair someday my Zeus XR with the PW Audio 1960 2w cable , must be heavenly match

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #19,332 of 40,559
i am dying to pair someday my Zeus XR with the PW Audio 1960 2w cable , must be heavenly match
Only at the cost of casting your wallet further into hell.

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #19,333 of 40,559
Only at the cost of casting your wallet further into hell.

maybe someday a used one shows here for 500$ , i could live with such a wallet hit if it means a) i am in sonic heaven and b) no more cables lust for me

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #19,334 of 40,559
maybe someday a used one shows here for 500$ , i could live with such a wallet hit if it means a) i am in sonic heaven and b) no more cables lust for me
I see a lot of 3.5 and 2.5 terminated ones listed, but usually around the 700-1k range. It retains its value very well

I have yet to test a wire that unseats Zeus and the 1960s 2w

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #19,335 of 40,559

I believe outcome a) is very likely.
Sadly however, I doubt the same can be said for outcome b) :p

My custom Nemesis is still being finished up at EE, I've chosen an Ares II+ cable for the sound improvements I heard, and I'm *already* thinking about whether I should upgrade it to an 8-wire or not :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back