Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 22, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #18,047 of 40,629
If you liked the Zeus, I think you'll like Wraith as well. It presents the true Zeus successor. It's a clean sound, oozing of resolution and precision. If you found Zeus to be too bass-light, you should give Wraith a chance, as Empire definitely listened to their customers. Wraith definitely has more weight and drive in its lows than it's predecessor. As mentioned, Wraith is incredibly clean, but to me it's far from being sterile. It has a rich midrange and treble section, that makes higher pitched sounds very enjoyable to me. Building on Zeus, it's no surprise that Wraith is a real detail-monster. It captures every little nuance of the sound and makes it easily audible with pin point precision and imaging.

thank God I am broke , and thank Jack i still love my Zeus - but this description really made my spider senses go mad

btw , a friend of mine came by yesterday and knowing my head-fi craze ,he asked to see what the fuss is all about

so i let him try my Custom Zeus XR + Lionheart 4-wire 4.4mm + sony WM1A

i should have recorded him , i mean the guy was really MIND****ED by the experience - at some point he started going ' this is like being in the studio when the music was recorded' :darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile: - he was also mesmerized by the 'soundstage' and how he heard things in the recordings he had not heard all these years 9i plaayed for him some albums which he also loves and knows by heart)

after hearing about 20 minutes , he just shook my hand and congratulated me about 'my vision'

then again , it must be something going from shi.tty apple buds to Zeus in a matter of seconds

we are now talking about him getting something cheap as an entry point in this hobby (maybe a clip+ and a re600?)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #18,048 of 40,629
thank God I am broke , and thank Jack i still love my Zeus - but this description really made my spider senses go mad

btw , a friend of mine came by tomorrow and knowing my head-fi craze ,he asked to see what the fuss is all about

i should have recorded him , i mean the guy was really MIND****ED by the experience - at some point he started going ' this is like being in the studio when the music was recorded' :darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile: - he was also mesmerized by the 'soundstage' and how he heard things in the recordings he had not heard all these years 9i plaayed for him some albums which he also loves and knows by heart)

after hearing about 20 minutes , he just shook my hand and congratulated me about 'my vision'

then again , it must be something going from shi.tty apple buds to Zeus in a matter of seconds

we are now talking about him getting something cheap as an entry point in this hobby (maybe a clip+ and a re600?)

Zeus has been my favorite EE CIEM to the point where Wraith came here. I always favored its detailed, fast and precise sound. I can see how it wows newcomers. Unfortunately my canals are quite large, so I can't share my custom Zeus with anyone.

Definitely a Clip+ or Clip Zip. I don't know how many of those I've bought and rockboxed for friends in the past years, but they do hold up very well.
A few years ago, when I hiked through a small island in the Indian Ocean, I had a Clip+ with me, which unfortunately I forgot at a place I stayed at. When I got it back after a month or two the guy handing it over to me told me it was swimming in a paddle of water for I don't know how long. I turned it on and it still bloody worked. haha. Gotta love those Sansa's.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #18,049 of 40,629
I had got MASSDROP X EMPIRE EARS ZEUS UNIVERSAL IEMS on Thursday.

After burn in of 20 hours, it blowed out all the modest earphones that I have (PE be, Hifiman RE800s).

I am driving it with Chord Mscaler and Dave.

It also works fine with Galaxy Note 4 and Dell laptop.

It shows excellent dynamics, details, nice timber, refined treble and 3D soundstage.

It sounds like top full range speaker as KEF Blade.

I will keep my experience updated after further burn in.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #18,050 of 40,629
Hey folks, I’ve been on holiday in the wonderfully chilly winters of Australia. And with me, I’ve brought along these puppies, which - now that the flood gates have kinda been opened - I can finally talk about after all this time.

DSCF7759.jpg

The Wraith was a project I heard about all the way back in March prior to CanJam SG, and I was fortunate enough to listen to some early prototypes with @Jack Vang and Dean Vang. Then, the consensus between myself and several others who heard it was clear: The Wraith was on its way to becoming an incredibly promising project. CanJam came and gone, and it didn’t take long before those very prototypes hit my doorstep in May for more extensive listening.

Without going into specifics, I’m extremely grateful to Jack, Dean and everyone at EE for allowing me to contribute what humble feedback I could into the Wraith project. Jack's openness and determination to make the best IEM they possibly could was inspiring. And similarly, I was floored by Dean’s skill and speed to bring all of that feedback to life. In short, it was great fun witnessing it evolve from what it was then to what it is today, and being a part of that project - however minor - is something I’ll never take for granted.

DSCF7774.jpg

Sound-wise, I’m extremely chuffed that @WayneWoondirts has called it a “Zeus successor.” That’s something we were vaguely aiming towards during the prototyping stage, and exactly how I described it to Jack once I heard the final tuning. Despite the Phantom’s success, Jack, Dean and co. felt that there was a demand for something that echoed more so EE’s classics; the Zeus, to be exact. The later success it found on the second-hand market and Drop only further emboldened that.

As a result, there were very conscious decisions made during the feedback period that tilted the Wraith towards that: A celebration of EE’s legacy with top-notch technical performance and cutting-edge technology, without compromising the more emotional aspects of high-end listening. I won’t definitively say whether or not the Wraith has achieved that just yet. I won’t go into sound too much either, as I think Linus has done a swell job at that for the time being. But, what I certainly can’t wait to see is what the public think of EE’s latest this weekend at CanJam SoCal 2019. ‘Til then, I’ll be waiting just like you guys for whatever else EE’ll have to say. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #18,051 of 40,629

btw , a friend of mine came by yesterday and knowing my head-fi craze ,he asked to see what the fuss is all about

You can’t go straight to ludicrous speed. You’ll go plaid!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #18,052 of 40,629
Spaceballs reference , excellent.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #18,053 of 40,629
Personally, I was a bit disappointed in the Phantom because I felt it didn’t live up to the Zeus. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad IEM, and there are many who love it, but it seemed like an overall step back?

I’m looking forward to trying the Wraith and seeing how it stands up to past/current flagships from EE and other brands.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #18,054 of 40,629
Well, I'm more excited about the Valkyrie to be honest. I don't expect it to be a team-killer and straight up improve on EE's more expensive IEMs (though it's happened with other brands before), but the driver configuration and overall low profile are pretty appealing.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #18,055 of 40,629
Well, I'm more excited about the Valkyrie to be honest. I don't expect it to be a team-killer and straight up improve on EE's more expensive IEMs (though it's happened with other brands before), but the driver configuration and overall low profile are pretty appealing.

The final product will implement EE’s revised shell design as well, which - I assume - will be made via 3D-printing techniques. I personally prefer the new shell, because of its slightly wider but considerably thinner profile.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #18,056 of 40,629
The final product will implement EE’s revised shell design as well, which - I assume - will be made via 3D-printing techniques. I personally prefer the new shell, because of its slightly wider but considerably thinner profile.

EE has a new shell design? Is it going to be applied across all of their universals as I would expect? I was going to purchase Legend X or Phantom and wonder if I should wait for new shells.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #18,057 of 40,629
EE has a new shell design? Is it going to be applied across all of their universals as I would expect? I was going to purchase Legend X or Phantom and wonder if I should wait for new shells.

I'm not sure whether or not it'll be applied to the rest of their products. I'm sure it'll be answered once all the announcements come out post-CanJam.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #18,058 of 40,629
I'm not sure whether or not it'll be applied to the rest of their products. I'm sure it'll be answered once all the announcements come out post-CanJam.

I don’t think it’s happened before (say like applying the EP/X series shells to their older models when they were also available)

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #18,059 of 40,629
I would love to hear wraith comparisons to Legend X. I have heard Legend X, so might save a little more and get wraith if it fits my preferred sound signature.

It has 4 estat drivers, but how many W9 and BA drivers from the next seven out of eleven?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back