Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #16,591 of 40,591
Yes very nicely I had the chance to try out the 8 wires, not long enough to provide in depth insights but it really brings the Phantom to another level yet, you gain a lot of air (while not loosing the body and weight of the Phantom) and to my ears best extension and more natural trebles
Better than ares ii 8 wire ?. Since you already have that too .

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #16,592 of 40,591
Thor silver ii , does this cable play nice with the phantoms?.

The Thor Silver II gives the Phantom a vibrant energy to the upper-mids, yet refines (or harmlessly smoothes out) the treble. Female vocals for example sound - for lack of a better term - more excited and peppy, whilst remaining smooth and retaining headroom. The signature as a whole doesn't become brighter via a crisper treble, but the Thor Silver II imbues a brighter, more vibrant hue to instruments whilst making them more rounded and liquid at the same time. These seem like paradoxical statements, but this is how I hear it at least. The Ares II 8-wire is warmer in tone, but it has an effortlessness to it that the Thor Silver II slightly lacks. There's further space behind instruments as well, so the stage seems more grand. I compared the two in my review of the 8-wire Ares II here, which was written mostly with the Phantom's as a reference: https://theheadphonelist.com/effect-audio-bespoke-8-wire-ares-ii-the-bronze-serpent/3/

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #16,594 of 40,591
The Thor Silver II gives the Phantom a vibrant energy to the upper-mids, yet refines (or harmlessly smoothes out) the treble. Female vocals for example sound - for lack of a better term - more excited and peppy, whilst remaining smooth and retaining headroom. The signature as a whole doesn't become brighter via a crisper treble, but the Thor Silver II imbues a brighter, more vibrant hue to instruments whilst making them more rounded and liquid at the same time. These seem like paradoxical statements, but this is how I hear it at least. The Ares II 8-wire is warmer in tone, but it has an effortlessness to it that the Thor Silver II slightly lacks. There's further space behind instruments as well, so the stage seems more grand. I compared the two in my review of the 8-wire Ares II here, which was written mostly with the Phantom's as a reference: https://theheadphonelist.com/effect-audio-bespoke-8-wire-ares-ii-the-bronze-serpent/3/
Thank you so much . By the way my phantom and ares ii 8 wire were delivered today . And after a brief listening, they’re exactly how you described them . Thanks for the assistance

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #16,595 of 40,591
Folks, just picked up an LX universal. I have a question, apologize me if this has already been discussed.

I am very satisfied with the IEMs itself, but I hate the way it looks. Its just a big slab of earphones. Is there a way to add a sleeve or something to make it look different?
Go custom and design it yourself from the website :p

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #16,596 of 40,591
Better than ares ii 8 wire ?. Since you already have that too .

No I don't have it I let the opportunity of upgrading my 4 wires to 8 wires unfortunately...

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #16,598 of 40,591
Also are there any other LX + SP1000 users in here? :) if so what volume do you typically find yourself listening to?

I have the se100 which I think is similar in amplification. Balanced I use anywhere from 50 to 60. Unbalanced I've been 55 to 65. What about you?

Using ares II single ended. Thor 8 wire and janus D in balanced. I don't know if cables make a difference in loudness

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #16,599 of 40,591
I have the se100 which I think is similar in amplification. Balanced I use anywhere from 50 to 60. Unbalanced I've been 55 to 65. What about you?

Using ares II single ended. Thor 8 wire and janus D in balanced. I don't know if cables make a difference in loudness

Around 65 ish typically with balanced ares II. When I want my LX to really shine tho I’ll go up to 70-75 for short periods.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #16,600 of 40,591
D3BBE6A7-E052-4C84-9DA5-4E54DBE611B1.jpeg

Been spending time with the phantoms since they arrived yesterday . You need to allow these to grow on you to appreciate the sound . First few hours , I wasn’t impressed at all , sounded very average , but the sound has opened up after 12hours . I’m still craving for some clarity in the mids , don’t know if that will come with burn in . Also the final audio tips are perfect for me , fits quite nicely with decent isolation.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #16,601 of 40,591
Been spending time with the phantoms since they arrived yesterday . You need to allow these to grow on you to appreciate the sound . First few hours , I wasn’t impressed at all , sounded very average , but the sound has opened up after 12hours . I’m still craving for some clarity in the mids , don’t know if that will come with burn in . Also the final audio tips are perfect for me , fits quite nicely with decent isolation.

What have you been listening before the Phantom? I find it does influence me a lot when picking up IEMs especially one like the Phantom with a distinctive signature. I have been listening to the CL2 a lot for my review and after dozens of hours away from the Phantom it struck me how thick, full sounding they are. It's not as striking when coming from listening to the VE8. Still, to me they remain very transparent and articulate, you won't perceive as much clarity as thinner and/or brighter IEMs but I still it's still there your brain will adjust hopefully.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #16,602 of 40,591

I have had the Ares II 8wire and upgraded Ares II 4wire to Eros II 8wire. There will be some clarity when you are pairing up the Phantoms with AresII 8wire after breaking awhile but more clarity throughout from treble, mid and bass would be with Eros II 8wire.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #16,603 of 40,591
I have had the Ares II 8wire and upgraded Ares II 4wire to Eros II 8wire. There will be some clarity when you are pairing up the Phantoms with AresII 8wire after breaking awhile but more clarity throughout from treble, mid and bass would be with Eros II 8wire.

And I can vouch that Thor II 8 wires is also helping a lot in that respect

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #16,604 of 40,591
What have you been listening before the Phantom? I find it does influence me a lot when picking up IEMs especially one like the Phantom with a distinctive signature. I have been listening to the CL2 a lot for my review and after dozens of hours away from the Phantom it struck me how thick, full sounding they are. It's not as striking when coming from listening to the VE8. Still, to me they remain very transparent and articulate, you won't perceive as much clarity as thinner and/or brighter IEMs but I still it's still there your brain will adjust hopefully.
I’m coming from the u18t

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #16,605 of 40,591
I’m coming from the u18t

Quite a different tuning indeed I can understand the contrast from my audition of the U18t!
Those should be nicely complimentary :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back