Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #16,412 of 40,580
Anybody pair the phantom with janus D cable by effect audio? What are your thought?

@marcusd of Headfonics tried the pairing and he had this to say:

Empire Ears Phantom/Ares II
You have to be living under a rock to not hear the whispers that the Janus D pairs very well indeed with the Empire Ears Phantom and there is some truth behind that. The Phantom comes with the EA Ares II cable which is already a smart move by both companies to avoid the Plastics One compressed OFC sound.

Tonally, the Ares II is in the same ballpark as the Janus Dynamic with a smooth and relaxed tone but there is some marked difference on the technical and staging level that shows off the Janus D as the superior choice for the Phantom. Mind you, the Ares II is $160 so none of this should come as a surprise but if you do own a Phantom you owe to yourself to try this pairing.

4 to 8-wire
The Ares II is still a 4-wire though so immediately pairing the Janus D 8-wire to the Phantom you get a big jump in dynamic range and a far more vivid and involving soundstage. That superior dynamic range means nuanced or micro-detail will be a lot more noticeable on the Phantom. You also get a much more open sounding midrange with convincing instrumental separation and plenty of room for vocals to breathe.

Beyond that, the Phantom’s treble extension and sparkle are clearer and airier than the stock Ares II’s more intimate performance. The harmonic balance is also better on the Janus because of the superior treble presence and slightly sweeter tone overall. From string plucks to percussion passages you just get a sound with this pairing that is more refined than the stock alternative.

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #16,413 of 40,580
@Deezel177 How about that Leo II review? how well does that pair up with the Phantom. Thats the important question here. Based on what Ive seen so far, I wanna get an 8 wire one day.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #16,415 of 40,580
You can get the Eros II 8wire instead of Leo II 8wire for the Phantoms if you are concerned about the budget?! :slight_smile:
In terms of copper wire, Ive pretty much settled on Aries II 8 wire. It warms up sterile reference monitors well enough and brings bass to the perfect level for my ears. The difference in sound for cables to me just doesnt warrant something in the price range like the Pw Audio 1960 2 wire diminishing returns and all.

Ive been trying to find a silver cable that cools down warm IEMs like the Phantoms that doesnt jack up the bass as well. So far, nothing. I highly doubt the Eros II would cater to that being a hybrid and all. But with Leo II, the entire situation has changed.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #16,416 of 40,580
In terms of copper wire, Ive pretty much settled on Aries II 8 wire. It warms up sterile reference monitors well enough and brings bass to the perfect level for my ears. The difference in sound for cables to me just doesnt warrant something in the price range like the Pw Audio 1960 2 wire diminishing returns and all.

Ive been trying to find a silver cable that cools down warm IEMs like the Phantoms that doesnt jack up the bass as well. So far, nothing. I highly doubt the Eros II would cater to that being a hybrid and all. But with Leo II, the entire situation has changed.

Changed it definitely has. :wink:

Effect Audio Leonidas II - A Legend's Reprise

LeoII-9 (2).jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #16,417 of 40,580
@Deezel177
To quote: "....Building on its predecessor’s dynamic sub- bass, the II adds a more organically-toned mid-bass – permitted by its broader headroom. Punches are tight, clear and textured, bolstered by commanding authority, effortless control and open air. Because the bass region sits flat relative to the mids and treble, the stage remains spotlessly clean; zero hints of bleed or bloom. Returning to the sub-bass, the cable comes imbued with excellent physicality – immensely guttural and visceral. It’s a woofer-like effect with palpable vibrations, but it’s presented with three-dimensionality and depth which prevents it from crowding the stage... ."

Literally sounds what Ive been looking for, I really hope I don't get a Phantom soon. Is there a Bespoked version of the Leo II in in the plans or just 4 wire?

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #16,418 of 40,580
@Deezel177
To quote: "....Building on its predecessor’s dynamic sub- bass, the II adds a more organically-toned mid-bass – permitted by its broader headroom. Punches are tight, clear and textured, bolstered by commanding authority, effortless control and open air. Because the bass region sits flat relative to the mids and treble, the stage remains spotlessly clean; zero hints of bleed or bloom. Returning to the sub-bass, the cable comes imbued with excellent physicality – immensely guttural and visceral. It’s a woofer-like effect with palpable vibrations, but it’s presented with three-dimensionality and depth which prevents it from crowding the stage... ."

Literally sounds what Ive been looking for, I really hope I don't get a Phantom soon. Is there a Bespoked version of the Leo II in in the plans or just 4 wire?

Well, technically-speaking, any Effect Audio cable can be Bespoke-d. But, considering the scarcity of the Leonidas II at the moment, I think it’s safe to assume EA will prioritise the standard 4-wire variant over Bespoke offerings for at least this year.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #16,419 of 40,580
Well, technically-speaking, any Effect Audio cable can be Bespoke-d. But, considering the scarcity of the Leonidas II at the moment, I think it’s safe to assume EA will prioritise the standard 4-wire variant over Bespoke offerings for at least this year.
I don't think EA will turn down good money if someone wants it. Not that a Bespoked Leo II would come cheap, but after a taste of 8 wires, I just can't go back to 4 wires.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #16,421 of 40,580
@marcusd of Headfonics tried the pairing and he had this to say:

Empire Ears Phantom/Ares II
You have to be living under a rock to not hear the whispers that the Janus D pairs very well indeed with the Empire Ears Phantom and there is some truth behind that. The Phantom comes with the EA Ares II cable which is already a smart move by both companies to avoid the Plastics One compressed OFC sound.

Tonally, the Ares II is in the same ballpark as the Janus Dynamic with a smooth and relaxed tone but there is some marked difference on the technical and staging level that shows off the Janus D as the superior choice for the Phantom. Mind you, the Ares II is $160 so none of this should come as a surprise but if you do own a Phantom you owe to yourself to try this pairing.

4 to 8-wire
The Ares II is still a 4-wire though so immediately pairing the Janus D 8-wire to the Phantom you get a big jump in dynamic range and a far more vivid and involving soundstage. That superior dynamic range means nuanced or micro-detail will be a lot more noticeable on the Phantom. You also get a much more open sounding midrange with convincing instrumental separation and plenty of room for vocals to breathe.

Beyond that, the Phantom’s treble extension and sparkle are clearer and airier than the stock Ares II’s more intimate performance. The harmonic balance is also better on the Janus because of the superior treble presence and slightly sweeter tone overall. From string plucks to percussion passages you just get a sound with this pairing that is more refined than the stock alternative.

That was awesome... Now I really want the phantom. Thanks again

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #16,422 of 40,580
I wanted to love the Phantom but it was a bit underwhelming for me.. maybe Lionheart was not the best pairing though. Or maybe I prefer more transparent resolving signatures like from Flamenco or Hyla CE5. Phantom (and LX) I ultimately found too rolled off in treble and thick sounding in general.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #16,425 of 40,580
I have.. but Flamenco is on another level to me... :p Hope to see a Zeus signature successor someday.
Probably not until XR disappears from the Leagcy line. I hope not for a long time/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back