Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #16,441 of 40,559
well, seeing you have sold yours, i would both suggest to go for Zeus XR

besides in @flinkenick shootout, katana came in at 12th place , while Zeus came in at 2nd if objective reviews mean a thing to you

some words of wisdom free of charge , have a great day
Did you mean subjective?

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #16,442 of 40,559
let me put this way - i trust 1000 times more the opinion/review of someone like @flinkenick who has heard/owned all ttop dogs than a newbie Noble fanboy who will put a 5/5 review just because he has zero experience with other TOTL iems

ofc this is capitalism , people are free to spend the money however they like them so all is good.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #16,443 of 40,559
let me put this way - i trust 1000 times more the opinion/review of someone like @flinkenick who has heard/owned all ttop dogs than a newbie Noble fanboy who will put a 5/5 review just because he has zero experience with other TOTL iems

ofc this is capitalism , people are free to spend the money however they like them so all is good.
Obviously...but as I have said many times, it is good practice to read lots of reviewers opinions and then you can find the commonalities. Chances are good if most reviewers say treble is hot, the treble is hot.

I don't venture near the Noble thread personally, I have only heard one of their products, pre-split, and I enjoyed it.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #16,444 of 40,559
Hey guys, let's try to make this thread a flame free zone! :ksc75smile:

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #16,445 of 40,559
Oct 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #16,446 of 40,559
For my tendencies, I personally pair the Phantom's with the 8-wire Ares II, though I find the Thor Silver II a better match for everyday listening because of its brighter tone and smoother lower-treble.

Funny you'd mention it since many go Ares II 8w or Eros 8w, reading the review on THL I was thinking that Thor II 8w could be interesting (and for the VE8 as well) in particular since I am getting the WM1Z...
(I am looking at Aegis 8w too, I enjoy the Zen so much with the CL2)

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #16,447 of 40,559
Funny you'd mention it since many go Ares II 8w or Eros 8w, reading the review on THL I was thinking that Thor II 8w could be interesting (and for the VE8 as well) in particular since I am getting the WM1Z...
(I am looking at Aegis 8w too, I enjoy the Zen so much with the CL2)
I have that combo, including the 1Z. The Thor definitely steers it a bit more towards neutral, but somehow maintains the unique warm but detailed signature of the Phantom. I particularly enjoy the added sparkle you get in the treble. Not overdone by any means, just a boost while remaining smooth. I have the Eros coming so it will be interesting to compare.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #16,448 of 40,559
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #16,449 of 40,559

Yeah that’s the review that got me thinking :)

I have that combo, including the 1Z. The Thor definitely steers it a bit more towards neutral, but somehow maintains the unique warm but detailed signature of the Phantom. I particularly enjoy the added sparkle you get in the treble. Not overdone by any means, just a boost while remaining smooth. I have the Eros coming so it will be interesting to compare.

Great thanks, that helps :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #16,450 of 40,559
Agreed. The Katanas were my first big ticket IEM purchase after hearing a bunch of options at a Canjam, so I think their lineup is pretty good. But they definitely charge a premium relative to other options in their respective performance ranges. They seem a few years behind with other companies innovating a lot more at similar price points.

And yes, the Noble thread is very off-putting. Can I use the term "circle jerk" on here?

Couldn’t the same be said of both the Noble and Empire Ears threads?

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #16,452 of 40,559
Couldn’t the same be said of both the Noble and Empire Ears threads?

For price to performance ratio, that's subjective so you could argue that. Seems like most would disagree but to each their own

As far as the fanboy thread aspect, the EE thread dialogue seems way more diverse with discussions and recommendations of other brands, cable pair ups, sources...
Noble thread - not so much. I have no issue with people liking Noble products since the ones I've tried have been very good, it's just the conversation over there is a lot more limited and self-congratulatory

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #16,453 of 40,559
Is there anyone who has the Nemesis that can give some comparisons to other in ears? There's such little info out there about them

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #16,454 of 40,559
Finally paired off my Spartans and Aries II 8 wire and gave it to my sister for her birthday. Decided to give my 2.5mm terminated HFX silver a try, my reaction right now:I DIDNT KNOW THAT THE ZEUS R HAD BASS.

I think I've just discovered the joy of silver.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #16,455 of 40,559
Finally paired off my Spartans and Aries II 8 wire and gave it to my sister for her birthday. Decided to give my 2.5mm terminated HFX silver a try, my reaction right now:I DIDNT KNOW THAT THE ZEUS R HAD BASS

Dang! You gave up the Spartans to your sister. Actually I am in love while listening to them (right now) with my DX200TI and modded amp8 (just done) via Ares II 8wire. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back