Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #15,376 of 40,675
Officially joining the audiophile bass-head fraction :L3000:
Finally - after several auditions during the past few months - I got myself a pair of Legend X universals at the Hong Kong High End Audio Visual Show this weekend.
I was told the burn in time for the DD is 200 hours, overall approx. 500 hours for the best sound.
How can this sound get any better? I am already in heaven.
Using ibassoDX200 with AMP8 - PW Audio Saladin+ (8w)

burn in is important for the crossover components. BA's don't seem to need the physical burn in that a DD does. Silver needs to burn in to get the grain boundaries in order etc... (this is what a metallurgist friend told me. He too is an audiophile).

Well...i love my Hugo 2 :) Paired with the Phantoms and Leonidas or Ares II8wire it's my daily workhorse on my desktop when i'm chasing through the soundcloud jungle to find good music. But i fear the Hugo TT2 will find its way on my desk soon :/ Anyways i love the Hugo 2.

Patriot, have you ever auditioned the Ayre Codex or other desktop DAC's? Hugo is good and I'm sure the newer one will be even better, but I've noticed many in the IEM world aren't up on some of the other awesome desktop DAC/Amp solutions that are out there.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #15,377 of 40,675
Patriot, have you ever auditioned the Ayre Codex or other desktop DAC's? Hugo is good and I'm sure the newer one will be even better, but I've noticed many in the IEM world aren't up on some of the other awesome desktop DAC/Amp solutions that are out there.

no i never auditioned the Codex :) but that's okay. i just wanted a little portable DAC and Amp for my desktop and Hugo 2 was easy to get here in Germany as it's made in the UK. I'm very happy with it.I love the sound quality. It is clearly better than the sound of my DAPs (dx200 or Fio x7 II) I know there are uncountable better solutions out there.
Pls don't get me wrong... sure i could go to the CanJam in London. There i could find tons of better desktop DAC solutions. But i'm really to lazy and i'm really not interested in entering the true and wide DAC and 2 channel world :D because i know this would become a new wallet burning project for me. So better i don't know. Ayre is hard to get here and not an option for me as i can't try it before purchasing. I don't want to wait for the next Highend or CanJam and make this to become a big project. I don't need to know them all :wink:. I like Chord. So i climb into my car, drive 5 miles to my hometown Stuttgart where i know a dealer selling Chord. There i have the chance to give it a try and then.... normally i'll pull the trigger because i love it :D That's why i'll stick with Chord and i'm quite sure this will be exactly the way i'm going to purchase the Hugo TT2 :D I'm a lazy guy. But thanks anyways!

... oh yes, and perhaps TT2 will come together with TToby on my desk! TToby is a nice amp imo and will be a great match for TT2.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #15,378 of 40,675
no i never auditioned the Codex :) but that's okay. i just wanted a little portable DAC and Amp for my desktop and Hugo 2 was easy to get here in Germany as it's made in the UK. I'm very happy with it.I love the sound quality. It is clearly better than the sound of my DAPs (dx200 or Fio x7 II) I know there are uncountable better solutions out there.
Pls don't get me wrong... sure i could go to the CanJam in London. There i could find tons of better desktop DAC solutions. But i'm really to lazy and i'm really not interested in entering the true and wide DAC and 2 channel world :D because i know this would become a new wallet burning project for me. So better i don't know. Ayre is hard to get here and not an option for me as i can't try it before purchasing. I don't want to wait for the next Highend or CanJam and make this to become a big project. I don't need to know them all :wink:. I like Chord. So i climb into my car, drive 5 miles to my hometown Stuttgart where i know a dealer selling Chord. There i have the chance to give it a try and then.... normally i'll pull the trigger because i love it :D That's why i'll stick with Chord and i'm quite sure this will be exactly the way i'm going to purchase the Hugo TT2 :D I'm a lazy guy. But thanks anyways!

... oh yes, and perhaps TT2 will come together with TToby on my desk! TToby is a nice amp imo and will be a great match for TT2.

Well you forgot to add the mscaler lol
All fan boys of chord go crZzy about the 1 million taps hehe.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #15,379 of 40,675
Right now...these are the IEMs in my wishlist for EE. xD

Ranking from lowest to highest.

#7 -- Spartan IV: Neutral Beast. Absolutely love it.
#6 -- Hermes VI: Super balanced.
#5 -- Athena VIII: Dreamy midrange.
#4 -- Vantage: Tastefully done smoothness with bass that might be as good as Vega? Consider me sold.
#3 -- Zeus-R: Beautiful musicality without over emphasis on anything.
#2 -- Legend X: BASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! (at least according to so many impressions here from you guys)
#1 -- Phantom: Sounds like it'll be my ideal audio nirvana or hopefully a more accessible Spiral Ears 5 Ultimate since it seems to share so many similar traits to how Nic described the top ranker on the Flagship shootout.

Hi,

I am interested in gaining some more information on your opinions about the Empire Ears list you've compiled here. The top 5 are unfortunately beyond my budget - welp. So what I am really intrigued to know, is specifically what you liked about the Hermes VI, and how you felt it was superior to the Spartans, for example?

Thanks in advance for your time, and insights.

Dan

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #15,380 of 40,675
Hi,

I am interested in gaining some more information on your opinions about the Empire Ears list you've compiled here. The top 5 are unfortunately beyond my budget - welp. So what I am really intrigued to know, is specifically what you liked about the Hermes VI, and how you felt it was superior to the Spartans, for example?

Thanks in advance for your time, and insights.

Dan

I had been torn to decide choosing EE CIEMs or IEMs before which fitted my budget and my taste. By the end I did pick Spartans that most Headfiers went with and now I do not regret my decision... The Spartans are among the best CIEMs (I really do not like IEMs due to the tips) and matched pretty well with DX200TI (and DX200 recently) among amp1Ti, amp4s and amp8 via Ares II 4-wire (I will try Ares II 8-wire today).

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #15,381 of 40,675
I had been torn to decide choosing EE CIEMs or IEMs before which fitted my budget and my taste. By the end I did pick Spartans that most Headfiers went with and now I do not regret my decision... The Spartans are among the best CIEMs (I really do not like IEMs due to the tips) and matched pretty well with DX200TI (and DX200 recently) among amp1Ti, amp4s and amp8 via Ares II 4-wire (I will try Ares II 8-wire today).

Please let me know how u like ares 2 8 wires.
There is also ares 2+ apparently it doeas more bass and warmth?

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #15,382 of 40,675
The Ares II+ is indeed a warmer cable and has a bigger gauge (22 vs 26 AWG). Eric, @EffectAudio, shared this a while back and it illustrates how he sees the difference between the two cables (just to give a general idea of the differences, not based on exact figures):

Ares_II_Ares_II+.png

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #15,383 of 40,675
The Ares II+ is indeed a warmer cable and has a bigger gauge (22 vs 26 AWG). Eric, @EffectAudio, shared this a while back and it illustrates how he sees the difference between the two cables (just to give a general idea of the differences, not based on exact figures):

Hmmmm according to what I like and by looking at that graphe I would say ares 2 + would be my pic seriously.

But wonder how ares 2. 8wires graphic looks like ? Probably a bit more than ares2+ 4wires?

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #15,384 of 40,675
2BF1CB4E-FC84-435D-8345-068958FE0F08.jpeg 69BFD11A-96A1-4B73-852C-1E3268E0E00D.jpeg

Hmmmm according to what I like and by looking at that graphe I would say ares 2 + would be my pic seriously.

But wonder how ares 2. 8wires graphic looks like ? Probably a bit more than ares2+ 4wires?

I do like Ares 2+ sound but I need a thicker sound like Ares 2 8wire I hope...I am listening to it now and let you know more once it is fully breaking in.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #15,385 of 40,675

I do like Ares 2+ sound but I need a thicker sound like Ares 2 8wire I hope...I am listening to it now and let you know more once it is fully breaking in.

Yes yes please my self I whant thicker and most bassy one. I know Eric strongly recommend me the ares 2 8wires over anything else. But what if we go ares2+ 8 wires and he said not sugested cause it will be way to thick and bulky physically.

I think ares2 8wires should be better optiin than ares 2 + 4wires. I guess more cable mass and better sinergy hmmm.

Awaiting your review pls.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #15,386 of 40,675
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #15,387 of 40,675

Ares II scales really well from 4-wire to 8-wire. In my opinion it doesn't change the tone so much, it just makes everything sound grander. It adds tons of air, widens the stage and yet maintains a connection to the music (doesn't sound more distant or thin). I have never heard Ares II+, so I can't compare, but the 8-wire is a wonderful cable.

I see you spoke to Eric, which I think is the best thing you can do if you can't demo the cables yourself.

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #15,388 of 40,675
Alternatively to Ares II 8 wire (which is a great cable indeed) i can really recommend the good old 4 wired Leonidas... especially for the Phantom. Not quite as warm as paired with the Ares II 8 wire but therefore my poor ears hear a tad more sub bass and clarity. Great pairing!

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #15,390 of 40,675
i just saw a Uni Legend selling here for 1800$(+PP+postage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back