Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Sep 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #347 of 413
I have been listening to the 4s teamed with an SB1000 sub both through a C'Entrance DAC as a desk computer setup for several months and am very happy with the resulting sound on any music, ranging from though not exclusively orchestral, chamber, as well as classic rock (Jack Casady never had it so good in my home) and (new)bluegrass.  The combination has great range, both dynamic and frequency reproduction, with a very lifelike sound, more pleasant than my HiFi man 400 headphones.  I sit about 3-4 feet from the speakers and the sub is under the desk.  Happily, necessary to avoid spousal approbation, the combination does not require high volumes to sound good, but when I am alone at home....
The only downside is that I am spending even more of my already excessive time at my desk thinking of excuses to use the computer rather than venturing out of the room to take on the rest of life.
Larry

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #350 of 413
  I picked these up on the warehouse sale and am excited to try them. I need some cheap interconnects for the time being. Should I pick up some cheap RCA to XLR plugs off Monoprice? Something like this. If I wanted to go cheaper, I assume these would work just fine if I separated the cables?

yes those will work. I'd stick with the RCA to RCA. Without testing beforehand you might a ground hum off the XLR. Doubtfutl, but it does happen on some designs.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #351 of 413
Emotiva is running a warehouse sale if you guys are interested in some Airmotivs

Tossing a "Thank you!" your way for the heads-up.  Wanted Airmotiv 4s but didn't want to pay for them:)  Snagged a sale pair at a nice price (w/free shipping <<< oops - shipping charge embedded in item price, USA only).
Will see what factory renewed (and/or possibly scratch-n-dent) means but was told they'll perform like new & come w/warranty so that's good enough for me.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #352 of 413

Emotiva is running a warehouse sale if you guys are interested in some Airmotivs

Tossing a "Thank you!" your way for the heads-up.  Wanted Airmotiv 4s but didn't want to pay for them:)  Snagged a sale pair at a nice price (w/free shipping, USA only).
Will see what factory renewed (and/or possibly scratch-n-dent) means but was told they'll perform like new & come w/warranty so that's good enough for me.

Np, glad to help.

I'm terribly impatient and nabbed a pair of Airmotiv4s a few months ago. Totally floored by these speakers. Great little units. 

Everyone says good things about the condition of these units on the emotiva forums, so 
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #353 of 413
Looking for a cheap preamp to use on these. Really just a budget option for easy volume control.
Ideally I'd like to find one with a remote but I'm not holding my breath. 
Seen a few options from China that I could throw into a project box, but not sure about the quality of those. 

Any ideas?

***by cheap, I mean something under $50. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #354 of 413
Heh, same thing that occurred  to me after realizing they're a bit much for my intended use as computer speakers/monitors, would rather them replace what's in my living room.  With that comes the need to control volume remotely AND drive longer line-level cables.  Additionally my remote vol/preamp would need to be as small as possible.

Let's see what others may post here.   But think you might want to consider going > "cheap"/$50 here, the speakers deserve it & think there are issues with those all-in-one preamp kits you are looking at.  For one thing we don't need much if any gain here, std 2V line-outs should have enough.  In fact if it weren't for the remote volume/mute & long line-level cable drive requirements I'd consider (making) a passive pre (a pot in a box).  Instead, as a DIYer, I've ordered a motorized pot + remote (ebay:"remote motor alps"), dual rail PS + 5V PS boards and are re-purposing a pair of JISBOS to build something like this: http://www.diamondstar.de/jisbos/jisbos_gallery.html  If/when I get anywhere with it I'll post something in the DIY subforum.

Edit: Oops!  Went straight to this thread from my Subscribed thread updates BUT the preamp topic belongs in more general "Passive Preamp/ level control with Remote?" thread here.  And further DIY stuff in the DIY subforum I guess.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #355 of 413
I'm using them as desktop monitors. I agree with your points. While using the computer to adjust the volume doesn't bother me that much, I'd prefer a simple "pot in a box" option.

If there was something near my range with a remote or something worth adding the additional money, I'd consider it. I'm a DIYer as well, but my skills and knowledge on boards is average.

But I'm not looking to spend the same amount as I payed for the speakers for a glorified volume control.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #356 of 413
There's a thread around here with the raspberry fi that gives you the option of using your phone as a remote.  

I bought one, but haven't tried it yet.  I also have the emotiva 4s and I'm loving them.

They don't fall behind too much in comparison to my Senn 650s w/ the crack amp, and that's saying a lot.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #358 of 413
Emotiva has a holiday sale going on right now. The airmotiv 4 is $299 but there's still no stock on the 5's :frowning2:

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #359 of 413
Just reporting in that speaker stands do really help ground these and improve their characteristics. I bought stands to both properly position them and to tighten up the bass, and to have a place for larger monitors whenever I get around to upgrading. The bass is extremely tight, the soundstage somehow expanded, there is more midbass detail, the resonant characteristics are largely diminished so that I'm just hearing the room mess with the sound now instead of the cabinet vibrating. It's also only projecting the sibilance already present in the recordings and adding next to none of it's own. Imaging improved quite a bit as well, including separation in the mix. I'm amazed how well they scale with each minor (and major) improvement I make to my system.

tldr: these are really awesome monitors for the money.

(apologies for the quality, my wealth is currently invested in the contents of picture and not the camera...)

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #360 of 413
What amp/dac would work well with airmotiv 4s? I have a pair on order, and I'm looking for a compact dac/headphone-amp/preamp either as one unit or as two (amp/preamp + dac).  I was going to order an Audio-gd 15.32, but evidently that hasn't been verified to work with USB 3.0 ports on a Mac.  I realize that one option is the Audioengine d1, but my budget goes up to $400, and I was hoping to get something with an asynchronous dac and an amp that can handle a wider variety of headphones than the d1. I also wouldn't mind just starting with a good headphone-amp/preamp.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm a  newbie when it comes to headphones and computer audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back