Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Apr 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #391 of 413
Thanks for the reply, guys.

I have the Air 4's connected directly from my Opp 95.

I live in a small apartment so I can't rattle the walls but I don't watch blockbuster movies anyways.

Unfortunately, my budget is only around $200.00 so I'm considering the Monoprice 12's.

But if there's a more musical sub out there for around $200.00 I'd like to know.

Cheers

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #392 of 413
$200 is a tough price range for something that is "musical," and certainly wouldn't get you a sub the same quality as the Airmotivs. Probably one of the Dayton subs might be your best bet. I'd stay away from the Monoprice.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #393 of 413
I've read that the Dayton subs are not as good as they use to be since the company was taken over.

This...
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-monoprice-msub-a122-subwoofer

is why I'm considering the Monoprice.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #394 of 413
Since Dayton was taken over by what? They are the Parts Express house brand, unless that has changed.

See this recent review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #395 of 413
I picked up the Dayton sub-1200 a few weeks ago on Amazon for $109. Felt like it was a steal for a hundred bucks. I use it with my airmotiv 4s for certain games and movies.

I don't really use it for music. I feel that the 4s sound good without it. There are some tracks I just want to feel the earth shake, those bring the exception. It can quickly overwhelm the 4s if not dialed in. Not what I would consider musical but still great to have around, especially for the price I got it.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #396 of 413
Since Dayton was taken over by what? They are the Parts Express house brand, unless that has changed.

See this recent review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

This is where I read the Dayton's are not what they use to be.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1761741

Posts 6 18 20 24 26 & especially 39 talk about the Daytons.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #397 of 413
This is where I read the Dayton's are not what they use to be.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1761741

Posts 6 18 20 24 26 & especially 39 talk about the Daytons.

I hang out on the AVS subwoofer forum all the time (for years). Haven't heard about any problems with the Dayton subs, and people keep buying them and reporting that they work well. There was a problem awhile back with their Dayton speakers, and I imagine that turned into some bad Internet hype.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #399 of 413
They do ship to Canada, but shipping a sub is expensive because of the size and weight.

Got any woodworking skills? You could get a driver and amp and build your own :)

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #402 of 413
I can't remember how closely it is related, but I believe it's very similar to the BIC F12, which is a great sub for the ~$200 range here in the US.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #404 of 413
If you mean Outlaw Audio? They no longer make a 10". Their M8 is nice for a small room for music. I have one of their 12" subs. They definitely make nice stuff :)

If you want to step up to more of a sub enthusiast class of subs, the SVS SB-1000 is a great small, compact 12". And you can buy it in Canada for only a little more from their Canadian distributor. I've seen a few people get one to pair with the Airmotivs, and I have one in my desktop setup. Nice thing is that it has an 80hz high pass filter on the RCA line outs. So you can run your audio source to the sub, then connect the speakers to the sub, and then set the sub low pass filter to 80hz for good sub integration. The SB-1000 can definitely produce better bass from 80hz on down than the Airmotiv 4s.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #405 of 413
If you mean Outlaw Audio? They no longer make a 10". Their M8 is nice for a small room for music. I have one of their 12" subs. They definitely make nice stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to step up to more of a sub enthusiast class of subs, the SVS SB-1000 is a great small, compact 12". And you can buy it in Canada for only a little more from their Canadian distributor. I've seen a few people get one to pair with the Airmotivs, and I have one in my desktop setup. Nice thing is that it has an 80hz high pass filter on the RCA line outs. So you can run your audio source to the sub, then connect the speakers to the sub, and then set the sub low pass filter to 80hz for good sub integration. The SB-1000 can definitely produce better bass from 80hz on down than the Airmotiv 4s.

Thank you VERY much for your ongoing input, CE.

Since many have said to me that a cheap sub is not the way to go I did a little rethinking and now I'm wondering if a Preamp might be the way to go.

The reason why I think this is today I did some experimenting with different BDs and found some are gorgeous and rich coming from my Oppo to the Airmotivs.
It was the last BD I watched last week that was so week I decided on a sub.

Anyways I'm concerned about a sub over 10" because I just want to hear it and not feel it as I'm in an apartment.

The Outlaw 8's are affordable to me (the SVS are a little too expensive) so do you think they would improve the Airmotiv 4's or should I consider a Preamp to adjust the bass when needed?

BTW~My Oppo 95 can send a LFE signal.

Edit~ Damn...Canadians get soaked Importing Outlaws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back