Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Nov 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #376 of 413
I don't think the DSMs can be beat at the current closeout/discontinued prices. As for ribbons, the Samson Rubicon R6A and Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8 can still be had for a lot less, and will come very close if not match the sound quality of the Emotiva's.
aeAqdO

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #377 of 413
Are these considered the best sub $400 monitor?  I saw the emotiva website has them going for $250 right now.  I was considering the audioengine A5+ at first, but came upon these.  I am looking to use them as speakers for my desktop computer.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #378 of 413
I own the 4s and compared them to the A5s. Obviously you can tell what my preference is. At $250 they are a fantastic buy.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #380 of 413
Emotiva is a direct Internet vendor. They are the only seller. You should contact them to find out when they will have more in stock.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #382 of 413
  Can somebody explain to me what the shelving EQ knobs on the back of each speaker do?

They allow you to adjust the low and high frequency gain to account for speaker placement and room acoustics.  I tried lowering the HF gain by 2 decibels, but ended up keeping both settings at zero.  Here's a link to the owners manual in PDF format: http://emotiva.com/resources/manuals/airmotiv4_manual.pdf  Look at the section titled "Adjustments" on page 21.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #383 of 413
Has anyone found the Airmotiv too resolving for mainly music listening via services such as Spotify or Mog?  Or do these speakers really excel at FLAC file due to sounding more monitor like?  Currently have the AE A2 and listen to probably 75% streaming vs local files and thinking of upgrading.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #384 of 413
  Has anyone found the Airmotiv too resolving for mainly music listening via services such as Spotify or Mog?  Or do these speakers really excel at FLAC file due to sounding more monitor like?  Currently have the AE A2 and listen to probably 75% streaming vs local files and thinking of upgrading.

Good thing Emotiva has a generous no questions asked return policy huh?

As for streaming, you should be streaming with Spotify Premium anyways eh?

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #385 of 413
The airmotivs are currently out of stock with no current ETA.  I use MOG and not spotify as it has higher quality streaming.  Though the free option for it will be gone soon with Beats replacing it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #387 of 413
I noticed that the other day. A few months ago I would have jumped on it but my needs have changed: I need to accommodate for a new sub now making it 2.1 and need a setup with 2-3 inputs with a switch, and must fit on the desk.

Looks like my only option is to DIY something.
Still is a nice little passive volume control. Might have to get it as a partial solution for the time being.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #390 of 413
What's your budget? Room size? 

Agreed. There are definitely better subs as you go up in budget. And then your room size determines how much sub you would need to have good bass.

Also, do you have the Airmotivs directly plugged up to your TV? Or are they connected to something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back