Emmeline "The Hornet" portable headphone amp.
Nov 3, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #676 of 802
A miniature pincher with a [size=medium]FEZ[/size] hat.
Looks like scene out of Casablanca w/ Humphrey Bogart. What was the guy's name again who wore the hat (not Sam)?

For those who are disappointed in case color and serial number issues in the first batch, they can get their blue or red sack embroidered with their initials on them (for about $10) for individualism and keepsake value.

hat_max.jpg

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #677 of 802
Ray,

I figured this might be a question useful to others, so I decided to post it here. When will the choice of case colors become available? If they already are, would you post pictures of them (I am interested in the dark silver if it appeals to me more than black)? And finally, are you now on a regular schedule for taking orders for the standard price, and how long should one wait until shipment? Thanks a lot!

-Mike

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #678 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by trivik12
My hornet did not have a connector cable which can be used to connect hornet to my ipod mini. Do I have to buy that separately.
confused.gif

Are you asking if a interconnect cable comes with the Hornet package? Seriously
confused.gif
?

How would Ray know whether you have a source with RCA, 1/4" or 1/2" outputs?
Any cable of worth would cost at least 1/4 of the Hornet's asking price.

Any mini to mini (even a Rat Shack will do),
will do, until you find the right cable that sounds good to you.
Like BRBJackson showed, it would be optimum if you used the line out on the Ipod, instead of the headphone out.

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #679 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by trivik12
My hornet did not have a connector cable which can be used to connect hornet to my ipod mini. Do I have to buy that separately.
confused.gif

do you mean a mini->mini cable or something that attaches to the dock on the mini? most around here use the dock's line out for better fidelity. there's also the pocketdock as well as head-fi member turbo's custom made dock connectors. PM turbo if you'd like to try it...the sik din/ram work well, too. for all but the sik ram, you'll also need a mini->mini cable.

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #680 of 802
Hey Ray payment send via money order. Its a gift for a friend, so I will include the adress where shipment will go. I'm post #86.

1 hornet + shipping = $305

thanks.

Nov 4, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #682 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Are you asking if a interconnect cable comes with the Hornet package? Seriously
confused.gif
?

How would Ray know whether you have a source with RCA, 1/4" or 1/2" outputs?
Any cable of worth would cost at least 1/4 of the Hornet's asking price.

Any mini to mini (even a Rat Shack will do),
will do, until you find the right cable that sounds good to you.
Like BRBJackson showed, it would be optimum if you used the line out on the Ipod, instead of the headphone out.

Thanks for the help. I m new to this world. Before joining Head-fi I bought an amp from ebay which came with the cable.I was hoping to use the amp out of box.

I have ordered Silk Ram Din. It should come by monday. Until then I can only admire the look and feel

Nov 4, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #684 of 802
Hi, guys, I just noticed the Hornet has already been ready for sale today. Anyway, I remember my post is #322 when I first post on this thread.

Do I get the intro price $295 or $350? Spend around 30 min looking through thread still have not gotten a clue on the cut off point.

Nov 4, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #686 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaYSaMueLsSoN
DSC01234.jpg

Is it just me or is the HF-1 plugged into the INPUT jack and the PSP plugged into the headphone jack? Or does this prototype differ from the final production Hornet?

Nov 4, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #688 of 802
Leave it up to an engineer's son
tongue.gif
I think they call it "reverse engineering"
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #689 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Is it just me or is the HF-1 plugged into the INPUT jack and the PSP plugged into the headphone jack? Or does this prototype differ from the final production Hornet?

Ya, and he said it sounds good! Shill... shill... kill the shill!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(Nah, I'm just kidding, I'm sure Ray has taught the young lad how to operate the device.)

BTW, nice set up, Charles. It would be fun to see you post more often, like about how many eggs you dad eats for breakfast! I've heard he can have a dozen without even breaking a sweat. What a cool guy! No, now I'm being serious...

Nov 4, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #690 of 802
Nice pics! Ray is a super guy. I went to his place to buy a hornet and he was incredibly kind to let me listen to his Meridian, the hornet, SR-71, HR-2, HD600 and DT880. With Ray's system, the hornet sounded amazing to my ears. Very much in par with the SR-71, but with a different sound and presentation. It was quality throughout. Unfortunately I did not try them out with my etys ER4S and my home source and portable DAP. Right now I am getting more enjoyment with the SR-71 than with the hornet in my setup and I don't have theories about why that is. The hornet is fast, very fast and the source has to be of very high quality and recordings have to be of top quality. The SR-71 makes everything sound good. I find that the hornet demands a great source and recording. I will let it burn in and see then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back