Emmeline "The Hornet" portable headphone amp.
Jun 6, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #796 of 802
I have a hornet from the first available batch and the only amp that has nearly taken it's place is the SR71 I've just got hold of.

If the option to modify the hornet to be more 'SR71 like' is available I'd be likely to have mine modified.

But I'd be keeping both.
biggrin.gif

Steve

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #797 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
I have a hornet from the first available batch and the only amp that has nearly taken it's place is the SR71 I've just got hold of.

If the option to modify the hornet to be more 'SR71 like' is available I'd be likely to have mine modified.

But I'd be keeping both.
biggrin.gif

Steve

Hi SteveieDvd...
The New revision of the Hornet, up-graded, has sound stage as big if not bigger than the SR-71. Parts are on order, they will be here within 3-4 days.
I will be more than happy to up-grade your Hornet. It will have the letter "M'
after the s.# to indicate the modification.

Hi RnB...
The Silver Hornet at the S.Cal meet did not have all the up-grades that this rev. has.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #798 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Dear head-fi friends...
When the Hornet was developed as a portable amp I had many choices available to me as to what I wanted the sound signature of this little amp to be like. I settled on a sound that was much different than all my other amps. There was a reason for that, those of you who are & have been in the high end audio & owned a respected analog system, do remember the old vinyl recording that sounded so much different than now a day recordings due to the way the recording was made & how many mics were used & how far those mics were from the instruments & singers. That technology of that time made some great listening vinyl available to us today. Those microphones registered on the master tape the depth of the room, front to back, the location of the players, how far the drums were, all that was accomplished using sometimes ONLY 2 microphones for the entire band & the singer. By doing that the finished recordings reflected so truthfully the image that was implemented in that music. You sit & listen to Ella Fitzgerald, close your eyes, man, you feel she is standing right infront of you singing only for you, while you can tell how far the drummer is in the back & where the rest of music is coming from. Very enjoyable recordings. All that was gone when sound engineers started to put more emphasis on dynamice & signal to noise & micing those instruments so very close & adding that revebration & echoe with other processors to limit & compress the signal in order not to saturate the tape, with that came what we have today, the didital recording, the dynamics that our ears can't handle, which all lead to loss of that imaging & sound staging that the old recordings were known for.
This all leads to one thing that I am trying to point at here, the Hornet is capable to bringing that kind of feelings back to your ears as it does with music what I think the vinyl recording did in the past. Yes it puts you closer to singer & the stage where you can hear all instuments playing at their purest before they start bouncing back & forth on the walls & the ceiling.
The detail is incredible, as the sound is reaching you very fast with out the reflected reverbration that comes from the hall where the music is played, if you were sitting in the middle of that hall.
I offered the Hornet with that kind of a sound signature in mind. Hundereds of very happy owners around the world, whom I recieved countless thanks from them regarding the Hornet & what it does to their music.

I do find lately though, any time a question regarding the Hornet is been asked by any head-fier, the same 4-5 pre-owners or one or 2 who never owned one, jump in & picture the Hornet as being conjested, has narrow sound stage, & on & on.
This led me to rethink as to what to do for those who really want a more laid back sound from the Hornet, which I have thought of a time or two before but backed off. I am reconsidering offering an up-grade to the Hornet owners, those who would like to have a more laid back type of sound, If you are happy with what you have, keep it that way. This way there will be a 2 types of sounds signature available for the Hornet, the serial # will have a "M" at the end or below reffering to the sound of the modified or up-graded Hornet.
by doing so I am hoping that I will meet the demand of both groups of listeners & their preferences.
There will be a very small fee for the upgrade which just pays for the shipping, handling & insurance.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Awesome, shall we contact you via PM to arrange then?

Many thanks

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #799 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi StevieDvd...
The New revision of the Hornet, up-graded, has sound stage as big if not bigger than the SR-71. Parts are on order, they will be here within 3-4 days.
I will be more than happy to up-grade your Hornet. It will have the letter "M'
after the s.# to indicate the modification.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Thanks Ray,
I'll send the Hornet over this week (it will take a few days from the UK) and as I have the SR71 to use I'm not in a particular hurry so no rush. The extra soundstage will be more than welcomed.
tongue.gif

Regards

Steve

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #800 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
I got a hornet yesterday. I'm loving everything about it to a great degree...except it seems there's a bass roll off going on. It would be my favorite amp I've ever heard so far if it wasn't for the bass roll off.

The low frequencies will extend and develop more energy and impact. It will take a lot of burn in, but not "10000 hours". Ignore the wisecracks.

The unit I burned in did take 300+ hours of 24/7 play to reach its optimal performance in terms of big/solid bass, smooth top end, more air and space around performers. This amp, like some others I've burned in, requires patience when new. Once burned in, it's capable of putting out prodigious amounts of bass through some phones (HF-1s as one example), assuming the recordings you choose contain such information.

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #801 of 802
One aspect of the Hornet I enjoy most, is the way low frequencies are reproduced. Bass shy recordings/mixes sound true to the original recording, whereas bass heavy tunes thump with full-force. My experience with a wide range of recordings, is having the Hornet convey subtle differences between recordings of various quality and compression.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #802 of 802
Hi,Ray

I send my Hornet,S#9204,to up-grade.
Up-graded Hornet,need to reburn-in over 200Hr?

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back